• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Cancelled Dish network and set up an antenna to get locals. The picture from the antenna is amazing. Plan on upgrading the antenna and installing it in the attic so that it works for all TVs in the house and so you don’t have to even see it.

Use Netflix, Hulu w/o locals, ESPN app, HBO Go app, Terrarium, etc. for vast majority of entertainment viewing.

Cut the cord over the weekend. We purchased a Roku streaming stick for each TV, subscribed to YoutubeTV, and already had subscriptions for Netflix and Amazon Prime. We will easily save $60/month, and we love the new setup. YouTubeTV is awesome. Definitely recommend checking it out

Cut the cord over the weekend. We purchased a Roku streaming stick for each TV, subscribed to YoutubeTV, and already had subscriptions for Netflix and Amazon Prime. We will easily save $60/month, and we love the new setup. YouTubeTV is awesome. Definitely recommend checking it out

Funny, we just did basically the same as of Monday. We did add a basic Hulu subscription as well. The YouTubeTV DVR is taking a bit of getting used to, but quality is good, and it has most of the channels I am looking for.

Funny, we just did basically the same as of Monday. We did add a basic Hulu subscription as well. The YouTubeTV DVR is taking a bit of getting used to, but quality is good, and it has most of the channels I am looking for.

Haven't checked out the YouTubeTV DVR yet since most of the shows we watch with any regularity are on Netflix or Amazon.

I've been really surprised with the number of sports channels that come with YoutubeTV. It's a better group of sports channels than we were getting with AT&T UVerse's basic package.

If you have the Roku streaming stick, I assume you do not need the Roku box? We have a chromecast but its not always the most user friendly device.

If you have the Roku streaming stick, I assume you do not need the Roku box? We have a chromecast but its not always the most user friendly device.

Correct. We bought a streaming stick for one TV and a Roku box for the other. Ended up taking the box back the same day and replacing it with the streaming stick

Do you get a discount using the ATT Direct Now if you have a cell plan? Can you bundle the wireless/streaming and cell? Hvae Slingtv and thinking of making the switch if it makes sense.

Do you get a discount using the ATT Direct Now if you have a cell plan? Can you bundle the wireless/streaming and cell? Hvae Slingtv and thinking of making the switch if it makes sense.

Don't know. We had our cable and internet bundled with AT&T. When we dropped the cable, they gave us an introductory rate of about $45/month on the internet but put a data limit of like 1,025 GBs/month. I think we'd have to stream an average of 8 hours per day to hit that limit.

We cut the cord at our son's college house and did YouTubeTV. Saved us a boatload of cash. It also has 6 simultaneous logins, vs 2 (you can add a 3rd for $5 a month) on DirectTVNow. We went with the latter because it has some channels that my wife wanted that weren't available on YouTubeTV. Still really happy with the decision to cut the cord.

Went with PS Vue ($49.99) and just going to use the playstation as my hub, along with AT&T giving me 120mbps for $60 a month (will jump to $70 or $80 after a year). Was paying $230-$240/mo. previously although I could have saved $30 by buying my own router and I think I did an ultimate 200 upgrade which was a waste.

Only thing I'm gonna miss is MTV Road/Rules Challenge, and I like the spectrum guide alot better than this one, but I really don't watch TV anymore, was just wasting money on it.

Also having a controller I need to plug in could get real annoying really quickly.

Couldn't stand the combo of Comcast internet and Sling TV.

Just moved, now we have gigabit FiOS. Since Verizon doesn't seem to be all that interested in improving their TV service, decided to try cord-cutting again but with Youtube TV this time. Experience is massively better. Streaming quality and speed from YTTV is pretty amazing - actually faster than the X1 Xfinity DVR. Obviously having crazy fast internet helps, but overall it's a much better and simpler setup than counting TV's, getting HD DVR boxes, etc. Interface is really nice as well, love the live preview during channel browsing so you can see if something is in a commercial.

Hopefully they'll add a few missing channels over the next year or so, but it's around $50 less per month than the multi-room DVR charges would have been for Verizon's TV, so adding a few extras or even another streaming service would still be cheaper.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple TV ends up disrupting online TV, but it's hard to believe there won't be a mass exodus to internet tv over the next 2 years given the quality they've achieved now.

Our DirecTV 2 yrs end in Dec and we dropped it. Went with Roku and Hulu Live TV, already had Netflix and Amazon Prime. Haven't missed anything at all. Love our new set up. Through Roku there are lots of apps to search for programming if you need to as well. The ESPN app is useful. Even adding some options to Hulu, we'll still save about $70/mth
I don't see how satellite and cable will last a whole lot longer in their current form.

Posted this info. last year. For anyone interested in streaming good site with everything one needs to know:

cordcuttersnews.com

For anyone using Directv Now. AT&T planning some significant price increases this year. Also said Uverse would be discontinued late this year and Directv satellite service within five years. I have been with DTVN since inception Fall 2016. Initially quality was horrible but has improved over time. Many are moving to YouTube TV with good reports on quality of service etc. Other streaming services I am aware are Sling, PSVue, Philo, Fubo, Hulu. There are others affiliated with cable providers, Xfinity streaming (Comcast) Spectrum but these hit you with all the taxes and fees similar to cable. Best advantage to streaming are NO CONTRACTS, cancel anytime, all providers usually provide a seven day free trial period. 5G wireless is being implemented in many areas. Could be a game changer for video streamers. Cord Cutters estimates 70% U.S. will have coverage by late 2020...

Last edited:
Fuck DirectTV Now. I havent been able to watch the ACC network all season and i've called multiple times and they still havent fixed it. All they did was give me a 5 credit for 3 months. It would be a deal breaker if Wake Forest basketball wasnt terrible.

DTVN is one of the only streaming services that canceled their agreement with ESPN3...

DTVN is one of the only streaming services that canceled their agreement with ESPN3...
Didnt know that. My watchespn app still works for everything else besides ACC Network.

It works for ESPN ESPN2 ESPNU but will not for ESPN3 Read an article where AT&T had a dispute with some of the feeds. If this has been resolved please advise.

Have it and love it too. Think I posted some thoughts a little earlier in this thread.

Back