• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Is YouTube TV better? Just curious because I have had Sling for a couple months, like RedZone and has a ton of college football games, the access to on-demand movies is great and the DVR hasn't been a big issue. I made the choice on Sling without really doing much research, though, was really just looking for RedZone and the ACC Network.

It sounds like Sling is the best option for you. I liked it just fine, but they dropped the Fox Sports regionals several months back (and still haven't gotten them back) so I started searching for a replacement. Since almost everyone has a free trial it's easy to try things out and do comparisons.

I like YTTV more than Sling (Orange/Blue + Sports) for a couple reasons,
-More intuitive interface and easier access on non-tv devices (exception: Amazon products). The Home tab consistently nails what I want to watch, but if I do wander to to the guide, the channel order is customized and excludes the channels I'll never watch.
-Youtube has local channels and a much deeper cable news bench.
-The unlimited, free DVR is great.

But again, I certainly miss RedZone, NFL Network, and NHL Network. Reddit Streams fills the gaps though, and I'm a better family man on Sundays.

I think I read yttv is now able to be streamed on amazon devices.

Some; chiefly the TV streaming devices. Still can't get it on my Amazon Fire tablet.

How does yttv compare to Hulu in terms of interface?

Uggg, I have the PS Vue. Hope it doesn't go under, will likely mean I'll have to cave into the wife and get the Spectrum back

How does yttv compare to Hulu in terms of interface?

I have Hulu tv by chance I guess because it’s the last trial I used and have stuck with it. It’s confusing to interface with for, say a guest in your house but other than that it’s fine and you get used to it. There’s also a premium version where you pay to completely get rid of commercials on any playback stuff that’s a few dollars more but worth it for my time to watch stuff faster and not subject my family to advertising.

For the record none of the main ones have hallmark, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central real or lifetime if your household expects to have those - but there is a separate service called philo that has those (Viacom I believe they are).

Last edited:
So question I can’t seem to figure out: will I need separate subscriptions to HBO and HBO Max or can I just ditch HBO and pay for HBO Max?

Anyone use alexa in conjunction with their TV, Is it helpful to work without a remote?

Looking at options now that PS Vue is shutting down

I signed up for the YouTube TV free preview. I like it and I think we are going to stick with it. Right now I’m using it with a Fire Stick on the living room TV. I need devices for two other smart but not smart enough TVs. Do you recommend sticking with the Fire Stick or use something else? How to the remotes fit with the YouTube TV interface?

Roku - Google home - Logitech harmony - YTTV household here. Voice works through Google to tell harmony to run activities. Mostly for turning on tv, Roku, PS3, etc. Can't use it in my config for channel surfing. That would have to be through Chromecast

That looks confusing. I need something simple enough my parents can use it in the guest bedroom.

Yeah, it's not the most simple and I have an av receiver in the mix as well. We don't use the voice commands that often actually, since it only gets you to the Roku main menu. We use the Google home for other things, I think it would be more cumbersome to use voice for changing channels and such. Remote is way easier. Especially for surfing if you don't know exactly what you want to watch.

But it is an option for volume controls and powering on and off all the components.

I had issues with the fire stick. Sound kept dropping out. I would reboot, re-set to factory etc. Finally stopped working. Complained to amazon and got a credit. Used it to go with the roku 3. No issues since. Works great. We use it for Netflix, hulu, disney, and prime.

I have an Amazon fire stick, a Roku fire stick, and a Roku express for my three TVs that aren't smart enough to have the YTTV on them already. All work great - I really don't prefer one over the other.

That looks confusing. I need something simple enough my parents can use it in the guest bedroom.

Roku express is your answer, costs $25, connects to all your subscriptions and has a little remote to control things.

Sounds good. I’ll check it out. The other Fire Stick issue is that mine stopped working when plugged into the TV USB port. It only works when plugged into the outlet.

Back