• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Yeah all the equipment costs for cable are killer. High def DVR plus receivers for every TV adds a big chunk per month. Now I get a roku for $25 or $50 one time only and all the free DVR I want.

Yeah all the equipment costs for cable are killer. High def DVR plus receivers for every TV adds a big chunk per month. Now I get a roku for $25 or $50 one time only and all the free DVR I want.

Not to mention being locked into a contract instead of only paying for the months you want to pay for to watch sports seasons

Now that YouTube tv includes Comedy Central and offers red zone as an add on I don’t see a reason to ever leave.

Now that YouTube tv includes Comedy Central and offers red zone as an add on I don’t see a reason to ever leave.

Yeah. That and NFLN were the only things it was missing and now it’s complete.

I would like to see YTTV to use tiers like Sling does - opt in/out of a family of channels using tiers. For example, I would use the tier that did not add the latest channels that increased the price most recently.

I used Sling for a bit and thought the tiers were awful. One tier doesn't have ESPN and the other doesn't have NBC/networks/Sports Regionals, etc. It's not like they grouped everything in some logical, flexible way.

Everyone says they want a la cart TV but nobody actually does. If you don't bundle channels there's not enough support to keep fringe or new channels alive, plus people don't realize a very small number of channels make up 85% or more of the cost. The only feasible alternative is to not have channels, aka the Netflix model, but that's not taking over live TV and the networks for a decade or more I'd guess.

I used Sling for a bit and thought the tiers were awful. One tier doesn't have ESPN and the other doesn't have NBC/networks/Sports Regionals, etc. It's not like they grouped everything in some logical, flexible way.
That was perplexing, and why I ditched Sling for YTTV when it first became available.

Tiers aren’t really necessary for services without a contract. If the price gets too high, you can stop service and go with an option that offers fewer channels at a lower price. I guess the services tier themselves.

That works out for the services and consumers. I wonder how much YTTV saves on customer service. They don’t have to negotiate prices or anything like that.

gonna try and cancel DirecTV today then sign-up for YTTV. No chance DTV will try to price match YTTV right?

When I canceled ATT they asked why and I said I was going with YTTV and the guy was like “Yeah. That’s probably a better deal.”

well maybe I have better luck. called to cancel and they offered me the DTV Choice package at $45 so with equipment it comes out within a buck or 2 of YTTV. threw in Sunday Ticket as well.

I hear these stories but nobody tried to keep me as a customer. It was just ...
21b.jpg

When I left Spectrum (TW at the time), I did have the satisfaction of them calling me back several times after I had already switched.

you-had-your-chance-aaaaand-its-gone.jpg

They must be hurting because my 2 year xfinity promo was up and I could pick a new package deal, at basically new customer rates with no contract, online without needing to talk to anyone.

Welp, here we go again - just got an email from Hulu Live TV that they will not have the regional sports channels starting tomorrow. I had switched over from YouTubeTV once baseball and hockey started back up, because YTTV stopped carrying my regional sports channels in my area, despite being in the same state as the two regional sports channels ( I believe YTTV has since dumped them all no matter where you live). I was actually going to switch back over to YTTV in a week or so, when my monthly renewal is up, as I like YTTV much better than Hulu Live TV, and there is nothing really on the regional sports channels right now that I care that much about.

However, the Wake/VT game is on Saturday on one of those channels. So now it looks like I don't get to watch it. I see that it is also on ESPN3, but I would be willing to bet that it will actually be blacked-out for me, since I am in an area where a regional sports network as rights to the game (pretty much the entire east coast - if not more than that I would assume).

So, I assume pretty much all of us with a streaming service for TV are screwed on being able to watch the game Saturday? Anyone know for sure? This whole Sinclair buying the regional sports networks has really been a disaster for the common fan.

So I setup my Sony Bravia TV (not a flex, its pertinent to the story) in my new home, (which already lacks Verizon cell service btw), and realize AT&T never sent me a cable box. I call AT&T and they say Cable boxes are extra these days, its an extra $240 for a cable box. Otherwise I can download the AT&T TV app on the television. After 30 minutes of searching I find out, Sony Bravia TV's don't support the AT&T app, cant even download it.

My options are to pay extra for a box, use the app through a firestick or Roku type device or just cut the cord and just go streaming services.

Anyone know a smart work around or do I just start shelling out more money.

A roku is like $25 so whatever you end up doing it seems like $240 for a cable box should be your last option

We've gone with HuluLive and it's been affordable and basically given us everything that we want from a tv perspective.

Back