• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

We're planning on cutting the cord in about six weeks, and have keyed in on YouTubeTV as our streaming alternative. We're also moving to a new home, so I'm curious what internet speed to register for. We'll be using the internet for streaming across up-to-three devices simultaneously, and general internet usage, but no gaming.

The slowest speed Comcast offers in our area is 25 Mbps, followed by 60 Mbps, 150 Mbps, 250 Mbps, 400 Mbps, 1000 Mbps, and 2000 Mbps. According to the table in the link below from NerdWallet, it sounds like 25 Mbps may be cutting it close at our peak usage, but we would probably be ok with 60 Mbps. That just doesn't sound super fast, though (what a world we live in).

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/utilities/how-to-decide-what-internet-speed-you-need/

From those who have been there before, what internet speed have you been happy with? Given our usage, is there a noticeable difference between the 60 Mbps, 150 Mbps, and 250 Mbps rates? I don't want to have to wait to watch a streamed movie/show, or have frequent interruptions, but also don't want an overkill of speed.

I pay $40/month for 150mbps through Comcast here in Chicago. I think my rate is a glitch in their system though.

Did you check out RCN? Apparently pretty good if they service your area.

We've got 20mbps (hooray for rural NC) and my wife and I manage to stream to 2 tvs while having ipads browsing without any problems. We don't game or try to stream in 4k but not sure that 25 and 60 should be written off initially.

60 MBS would be totally sufficient unless you're trying to stream three 4k movies at once.

I have an Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, so I am leaning towards going with Hulu Live, as I understand YTTV does not work on the Amazon hardware (or does not easily work). Is that accurate?

Any drawback to not being able to log in with your TV provider on various apps like CNN and Disney, for example? It would seem I could just delete all of those apps and simply use the Hulu app or the Hulu desktop to watch those services.

I pay $40/month for 150mbps through Comcast here in Chicago. I think my rate is a glitch in their system though.

Did you check out RCN? Apparently pretty good if they service your area.

I signed up for 150mps through Comcast and I think I am being undercharged as well. They advertised it as $49.99 a month, but I'm only being charged $29.99+tax. I bought my own modem and router, but it still seems low.

To answer the question, I've had 150mbps for 2 years now and have had no issues with speed when streaming/using Xbox.

I have an Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, so I am leaning towards going with Hulu Live, as I understand YTTV does not work on the Amazon hardware (or does not easily work). Is that accurate?

Any drawback to not being able to log in with your TV provider on various apps like CNN and Disney, for example? It would seem I could just delete all of those apps and simply use the Hulu app or the Hulu desktop to watch those services.

Amazon and Google have been having a spat for a while, so I wouldn't get a Fire TV stick if you want YTTV. That, or get Hulu Live.

I signed up for 150mps through Comcast and I think I am being undercharged as well. They advertised it as $49.99 a month, but I'm only being charged $29.99+tax. I bought my own modem and router, but it still seems low.

To answer the question, I've had 150mbps for 2 years now and have had no issues with speed when streaming/using Xbox.

Don't worry after 12 mos. Comcast will draw their pint of blood. If there are competitors in your area switch after 12 mos and enjoy their promo rate. FWIW, anyone using Direct TV Now (DTVN) may be interested in this link: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-employees-clarify-the-upcoming-directv-now-10-price-hike/

Amazon and Google have been having a spat for a while, so I wouldn't get a Fire TV stick if you want YTTV. That, or get Hulu Live.

Yeah, I’m already deep in the Amazon world. Hulu Live is okay, but I don’t love the guide.

DirecTV Now is raising their prices while also cutting down the number of channels offered. Up to $50 minimum and a bunch of channels now only available on the next tier up at $70.

Great....coming up on my 1st anniversary with DirecTV. I knew they were gonna increase my rates before hearing this .....time to get on the phone and see what I can negotiate.....

Don't worry after 12 mos. Comcast will draw their pint of blood. If there are competitors in your area switch after 12 mos and enjoy their promo rate. FWIW, anyone using Direct TV Now (DTVN) may be interested in this link: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-employees-clarify-the-upcoming-directv-now-10-price-hike/

The thing is, I don't even think I am on a contract. I saw options to sign on for 1-2 years before a price hike, but mine did not include that. In the past, they usually let you re-up for another year and drop the price, especially if you threaten to leave. There really isn't many more options in my area aside from Comcast (DSL isn't a viable option), so I'm stuck with them.

Anyone have a good, cheap antenna they like? It’s not a big need, but if the internet cuts out, it would be nice to have something.

Does anybody have a good site that will show you which movies are streaming on which services?

Just left AT&T U-Verse for YouTubeTV. Seeing as I just dropped my TV bill from $180/mo to $40, color me pleased. It's not racist.

Amazon and Google (you tube tv) have decided to play nice and YTTV will be available on Amazon devices at some point coming up.

Does anyone's streaming service offer MASN with their sports package/channels? Sling does not.

I used to have DirecTV and it was part of a mid-tier package. One of the pleasant surprises from the industry giant.

Is there an option that includes the local sports broadcast networks? I was *this close* to pulling the trigger on Sling until I realized I might not be able to get the local NBC Sports affiliate (i.e. local MLB, NBA, and NHL broadcasts). Dealbreaker. Anyone have a suggestion? I can't bring myself to keep paying $138 for Comcast or FIOS.

Back