• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

What do you all get for internet? I'm looking at dropping Comcast, but by the time I sign up for internet, I may as well bundle cable with it. I guess I need to factor in the device costs (cable box usually is like $10). Here, Comcast is something like $49/month and the lowest streaming live TV service I've seen is $40. I unfortunately need ESPN for live sports.

That deal from Comcast is for 40mbs I believe as I am in Mount Pleasant part of the year. YouTube TV probably has the best value with 60 channels...all the ESPN, Fox Sports Etc. $40 for YouTube plus sales tax but no additional fees. Add your internet costs, you will have your basic pkg. with live TV. NO Contracts cancel anytime

I find myself getting alotta wake games I wouldn't have expected on the playstation vue ESPN channels. Got State, Duke and this Virginia game. Was expecting the Duke one only.

I find myself getting alotta wake games I wouldn't have expected on the playstation vue ESPN channels. Got State, Duke and this Virginia game. Was expecting the Duke one only.

Same here with YouTubeTV. I don't watch them, but I get them.

Still got $90 internet and $40 youtube tv. Not a deal by any means, but better than the about $210 I was paying beforehand. I'm sure lower internet would be just fine, but for 10 or 20 bucks a month I'll pony up for good internet. Nothing more annoying in the world than a slow connection.

I've tried a few times to talk Spectrum down, but i'm still paying $70 bucks for internet.

Starry Internet is offering $50 a month, all in, wireless internet here in DC. If my negotiations with Comcast don't pan out this year, I'll probably switch over.

That deal from Comcast is for 40mbs I believe as I am in Mount Pleasant part of the year. YouTube TV probably has the best value with 60 channels...all the ESPN, Fox Sports Etc. $40 for YouTube plus sales tax but no additional fees. Add your internet costs, you will have your basic pkg. with live TV. NO Contracts cancel anytime

Interesting. The deal I saw was 150mbs for $49.99. I'll probablu buy my own modem to save on the "rental fee." Its $69.99 with cable and a 2 year contract, but it goes up to about $100 after they tack on the local channel, HD, and sports fee. It seems like it's a wash, but with YouTube TV, I can stream in on all my TVs versus needing a box for others.

Interesting. The deal I saw was 150mbs for $49.99. I'll probablu buy my own modem to save on the "rental fee." Its $69.99 with cable and a 2 year contract, but it goes up to about $100 after they tack on the local channel, HD, and sports fee. It seems like it's a wash, but with YouTube TV, I can stream in on all my TVs versus needing a box for others.

Be sure and add all the fees/taxes to your cable pkg. Mount Pleasant charges a local user fee 5% in addition to the state and federal fees. Streaming only charges sales tax, at least for now. Also the control box for each tv. Roku/Firestick etc. one time fee for each TV and again NO CONTRACTS cancel anytime, that alone is valuable.

Comcast recently raised my internet costs to $69.99 for 40megs. I reduced it to $49.99 for for 25megs. Only have Comcast available even though WOW and AT&T have fiber optic in my neighborhood. Will be away for several weeks late Feb. and March. Will cancel Comcast and re-sign as a new customer when I return to get the promo rate.

question....i am thinking of dumping Northstate for my television, but keeping their fiber internet to my house. Right now I have the Espn, NBC sports channel and Fox sports hooked up to my phone and xbox for stuff that is streaming. How long will it take them to figure out that I dumped the tv stuff and they turn off my iphone access?

Northstate went up to over 90 dollars for video services (right now 1gig internet is 55 dollars) and I am done with that.

Be sure and add all the fees/taxes to your cable pkg. Mount Pleasant charges a local user fee 5% in addition to the state and federal fees. Streaming only charges sales tax, at least for now. Also the control box for each tv. Roku/Firestick etc. one time fee for each TV and again NO CONTRACTS cancel anytime, that alone is valuable.

Comcast recently raised my internet costs to $69.99 for 40megs. I reduced it to $49.99 for for 25megs. Only have Comcast available even though WOW and AT&T have fiber optic in my neighborhood. Will be away for several weeks late Feb. and March. Will cancel Comcast and re-sign as a new customer when I return to get the promo rate.

I have to say, I signed up for Youtube TV for the 2 week free trial, and it really is an excellent product. Free DVR along with all the channels I watch anyway. I'll still need to use Comcast for internet because in my area, all we have is that and AT&T DSL, which is too slow for most needs. I did notice on my current cable bill that Comcast does charge several fees - HD fee, regional sports fee, user fee. And because Xfinity doesn't have an app on Apple TV, I can't stream it in other rooms.

Does anyone's streaming service offer MASN with their sports package/channels? Sling does not.

I used to have DirecTV and it was part of a mid-tier package. One of the pleasant surprises from the industry giant.

I checked out YouTube TV. No Food Network makes it a no go in my house. Shame.

I checked out YouTube TV. No Food Network makes it a no go in my house. Shame.
Yeah, once my Direct TV Now discount ended I switched to Hulu Live instead of Youtube TV based on channel selection. Paying 55$ for Hulu Live with DVR and the extra HBO package. Its especially a good deal for people who are already paying 8$ for Hulu

Hulu Live in Winston Salem doesnt get CBS. That is a problem.

Hulu Live in Winston Salem doesnt get CBS. That is a problem.

Weird, it doesn't get it in Charleston either. I guess I could get an antenna. Neither gets "MyTV" either that sometimes shows ACC games so an antenna may be required regardless of which service anyone gets.

We're planning on cutting the cord in about six weeks, and have keyed in on YouTubeTV as our streaming alternative. We're also moving to a new home, so I'm curious what internet speed to register for. We'll be using the internet for streaming across up-to-three devices simultaneously, and general internet usage, but no gaming.

The slowest speed Comcast offers in our area is 25 Mbps, followed by 60 Mbps, 150 Mbps, 250 Mbps, 400 Mbps, 1000 Mbps, and 2000 Mbps. According to the table in the link below from NerdWallet, it sounds like 25 Mbps may be cutting it close at our peak usage, but we would probably be ok with 60 Mbps. That just doesn't sound super fast, though (what a world we live in).

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/utilities/how-to-decide-what-internet-speed-you-need/

From those who have been there before, what internet speed have you been happy with? Given our usage, is there a noticeable difference between the 60 Mbps, 150 Mbps, and 250 Mbps rates? I don't want to have to wait to watch a streamed movie/show, or have frequent interruptions, but also don't want an overkill of speed.

I'd eliminate 25 and 60 off the bat, and I'm guessing the 400+ speeds are extremely expensive.

If the step up from 150 to 250 also increases the upload speed, I'd probably go for it, obviously depending on cost. I've seen one of the routers on our mesh network push 40Gbe or so by itself just streaming a movie while a couple laptops are out, and I'd also assume that at any given time bandwidth capacity could drop to 75% of advertised speeds.

Back