• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Here's the story as I understand it.

In 2011, the ACC and ESPN brokered a 12-year deal with Raycom for ESPN to sublicense a set number of games across sports to Raycom for Raycom to distribute on regional sports networks (RSNs) such as Fox Sports. This continued a long-standing relationship with Raycom to televise ACC sports regionally. Older posters remember watching Raycom games on the weekdays and Saturdays on their local CBS, ABC, or NBC stations. In my area, we used to get games on the CW station.

Disney bought 21st Century Fox a few years ago. That's why you can watch The Simpsons on Disney+ among other things. Fox, Fox News, FS1, and FS2, and a few other channels properties spun off into a new company. Disney had to sell off Fox Sports due to competing interests from ESPN. Sinclair bought Fox Sports and rebranded as Bally Sports after selling naming rights to Bally.

In 2011, the ACC and ESPN brokered a 12-year deal with Raycom for ESPN to sublicense a set number of games across sports to Raycom for Raycom to distribute on regional sports networks (RSNs) such as Fox Sports. This continued a long-standing relationship with Raycom to televise ACC sports regionally. Older posters remember watching Raycom games on the weekdays and Saturdays on their local CBS, ABC, or NBC stations. In my area, we used to get games on the CW station.

Disney bought 21st Century Fox a few years ago. That's why you can watch The Simpsons on Disney+ among other things. Fox, Fox News, FS1, and FS2, and a few other channels properties spun off into a new company. Disney had to sell off Fox Sports due to competing interests from ESPN. Sinclair bought Fox Sports and rebranded as Bally Sports after selling naming rights to Bally.

yeah and in ACC territory the local Raycom stations carried the ACC Tournament when it was blacked out on ESPN. and for football Raycom had a noon game airing on local stations that was usually a bad match-up like Wake-Duke or something.

what was Jefferson Pilot? were they the original name of Raycom or some kind of merger?

yeah and in ACC territory the local Raycom stations carried the ACC Tournament when it was blacked out on ESPN. and for football Raycom had a noon game airing on local stations that was usually a bad match-up like Wake-Duke or something.

what was Jefferson Pilot? were they the original name of Raycom or some kind of merger?

Jefferson Pilot was the sponsor of local ACC broadcasts, iirc.

ACC Basketball through the 70's and early 80's was produced by CD Chesley, who sold the game broadcasts to local stations. Billy Packer, Jim Thacker and Bones McKinney were the announcing team. The main sponsor was Pilot Life Insurance. In the early 80's, Chesley retired and the rights to ACC basketball went to Metrosports. It had them for one season but was a flop. Then Raycom acquired the rights and they partnered back with Pilot Life, by then known as Jefferson Pilot to broadcasts the ACC basketball games. Another key sponsor was Food Lion. Their CEO was Tom Smith, who did the commercials. He looked like Terry Holland's twin.
I remember Saturdays when there would be 4 ACC games on Raycom/JP Sports.

Definitely got my share of "sail with the Pilot", Food Lion, and Piedmont Airline commercials as a kid growing up in NC. I remember one year the local affiliate chose to show the ACC game one weekday night instead of the State of the Union speech. They said there are other channels showing it, if you that's what you want to watch.

Is there an advantage to YTTV over Hulu? We have kids, so the HULU Live bundle w ESPN+ and Disney gives me everything I need. I have no problem seeing Wake games in San Diego.

Know there are some who use IPTV. Have not subscribed but possibly will as streaming providers continue to increase prices. One provider I have not seen posted is Vidgo. I have not used but they offer much of what the other providers offer but do not offer Bally. I currently use DirectTV Stream and have been with them since '16 when they first began as DirectTV Now. Was included in their testing phase and was promised by ATT that those in the first rollout would be grandfathered with lower rates. In '16 initially began at $25 mo. Today with the "Go Big" pkg. I am at $54 which is $25 under the current cost. I am glad they have Bally but like many here the offerings from IPTV looks much better. I assume by utilizing a VPN there is minimal likelihood of enforcement issues.

Is there an advantage to YTTV over Hulu? We have kids, so the HULU Live bundle w ESPN+ and Disney gives me everything I need. I have no problem seeing Wake games in San Diego.

Never used Hulu Live, but I have YTTV because it has unlimited DVR.

YTTV interface and UI is so much better than Hulu. The big thing for me is that Hulu makes you sit through commercials if you are watching something recorded or on delay, whereas YTTV lets you fast forward through them just like regular cable DVR.

YTTV interface and UI is so much better than Hulu. The big thing for me is that Hulu makes you sit through commercials if you are watching something recorded or on delay, whereas YTTV lets you fast forward through them just like regular cable DVR.

Yeah - I've had both, and YTTV is definitely better. At least it was a year or so ago - the last time I had Hulu Live TV. I even paid more for the no commercials thing, and it was still a pain in the butt. There were times that I would be watching a game, pause it for a while, and then resume watching again, and it would just totally screw up. I would try to fast forward, and it would sometimes actually go back behind commercials that I had already watched, and then not let me fast forward back past them. Hulu Live TV is not that bad if you are just watching live TV - but it sucks if you start trying to pause and/or fast forward/rewind.

Completely agree. Whatever technology they’ve applied to the rewind and ff features is just not good. Not only do they force you to watch ads, even rewinding to watch a replay during a game can be an adventure.

Thanks. I’ve definitely experienced those exact headaches with HULU.

In 2014, I negotiated a deal with Raycom to get their football and basketball games on our .2 channel in Kansas City. It was a just over a revenue neutral deal for us, but I got the watch the Deacs and my wife got to watch her Tar Heels. Felt like a win to me.

In 2014, I negotiated a deal with Raycom to get their football and basketball games on our .2 channel in Kansas City. It was a just over a revenue neutral deal for us, but I got the watch the Deacs and my wife got to watch her Tar Heels. Felt like a win to me.

That’s awesome. Well done.

Did we read the same post? All I saw was his wife is a Tarhole and nothing else.

I’ve known nomadic and his wife for years. My reaction when I met Mrs. nomadic for the first time was also “That’s awesome. Well done.”

They do have some nice womenfolk in Chapel Hill.

I don’t know what I’d do if my wife found sadness in one of the things that makes me the happiest.

I don’t know what I’d do if my wife found sadness in one of the things that makes me the happiest.

Laugh pretty hard. Not get any that night. Seems simple.

Back