• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

we're fans of our TCL TV with Roku built in.

we also have a Fire Stick and AppleTV on other TVs. I hate the new AppleTV remote that uses gestures -- the old button-based one was much better. but it was given to us and it's on the bedroom TV and we rarely use it. The Fire Stick works fine too, especially for just $15 or whatever we got it for.

We have two TCL TVs and love them. But they’re not the two main TVs or the guest TVs. I’m looking for Super Bowl deals though.

I went with Roku sticks vs the boxes, because the remotes on the stick also turn on the TV. For the TV in the master bedroom we just need the Roku remote. Turns on the TV and adjusts the volume and then does all of YTTV/Netflix/etc. stuff. I really didn't want to use two separate remotes or have to get a smart remote for the limited viewing that is done on that TV.

jesus, dude

how many tvs do you have?

Living room
Master bedroom
Guest room
Patio
Bonus room (2)

The TCLs are in the patio and bonus. The other bonus is my first flat screen from 14 years ago. Both of the bonus are for video games.

If there are good sales it may be worth it to get a small TCL rather than a new Roku+.

I didn’t know PH was a 1%er.

0df514b0b6db2d4c02ff0ea05ae224c8.jpg

What's the best solution for getting headphones to work with a television? Just buy a TV with a wireless jack? Integrate with a sound bar?

Haven’t tried it yet but you can use your earbuds to listen what you watch on Roku with the Roku app.

I think that only works with some rokus. Mostly th newer lineup, not Roku 1-3.

Yeah. I assume he’d be buying a new one.

I hadn't really been following the Next Gen OTA stuff, but it looks like it's finally picking up steam with a few markets already up as early adopters. I like a lot of the decisions they've made on how the tech works - the fact that it's IP-based is especially nice. It'll be interesting to see whether it drives a final exodus of cable/satellite customers, could be their death knell.

What companies are working to make streaming audio better? Like lossless, multi channel, Atmos, etc.

What's the best solution for getting headphones to work with a television? Just buy a TV with a wireless jack? Integrate with a sound bar?

I believe some newer TVs have Bluetooth capability. For those that don't, you can buy a semi-cheap Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the audio jack of the TV. I bought one 6 months ago or so to use with our outside TV, but haven't taken it out of the box yet, so I can't say how well that works. Got pretty good reviews though.

Youtube TV losing all local fox sports channels as of tomorrow. Massive hit

Back