• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When Did National Parks Become Important?

I'm not talking about allowing people to go hike on trails or go up the Washington Monument or some shit. I'm talking about blocking off views of Mt. Rushmore and shit like shutting down the Claude Moore Colonial Farm, which receives no federal funding to operate. There is no reason to do that. None. We know there is no liability involved for the feds. And "security" is a bunch of bullshit. They can send out a gaggle of NPS rangers to close the shit down or set up barricades, but then they're going to babble about things like security. At the very least, it gives off the appearance of being disingenuous. I think I remember a park ranger at the Lincoln Memorial once, most likely there to make sure some clown didn't jump up on the statue, which was roped off. I don't remember any on the Mall.

This is a perfect example of what the government can do versus what they should do. It's also a perfect example of how much government intrudes into innocuous crap. You can blame the GOP for the shutdown all you want, but Obama is still the executive and it's high time he acted like one. He's content to sit on his hands and make speeches about how the GOP sucks donkey dick, and then something like the veteran's benefits hits him in the ass because he didn't even bother to take the time to prioritize things in the executive branch before the shutdown, even though everybody and their dead grandmothers knew the shutdown was coming.

The NPS has gotten orders from on high to aggravate the public as much as possible so the GOP will feel the heat. I don't put anything past the community organizer.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/shut...ing-lincoln-memorial-lawn/story?id=20498555#1

With the National Park Service hamstrung by furloughs, a South Carolina man took it upon himself today to do some grounds keeping at the Lincoln Memorial.

Chris Cox was pushing a lawnmower and toting a chainsaw on the north side of the monument, doing the landscaping work that Park Service employees would normally do.

"The building behind me serves as a moral compass not only for the country but for the world," Cox said. "And over my dead body are we going to let this deteriorate.

Cox felt the memorial should not be neglected.

"We got men coming here to see these memorials in wheelchairs carrying respirators. They had hand to hand combat with the Nazi's.Come on man, this is a no-brainer to keep this area clean for them," he said.

"I've emptied hundreds of trash cans. I've cut up branches that have fallen during storms in these handicapped access roads," Cox said.

The U.S. Park Police told ABC News that Cox was "told to leave and he left." Cox was not arrested or fined for violating the official closure of the monument, said Sgt. Paul Brooks. He did not finish moving the grass around the Lincoln Memorial, Brooks said.

I just don't understand the federal rangers shutting down state parks or the family that OWNED a cabin in a national park that was forced to leave.

I just don't understand the federal rangers shutting down state parks or the family that OWNED a cabin in a national park that was forced to leave.

There's information about that on the first page of the thread that can probably help you to understand.

Teddy Roosevelt would not be a fan.

Can you imagine Teddy Roosevelt standing for any of this nonsense?

The NPS has gotten orders from on high to aggravate the public as much as possible so the GOP will feel the heat. I don't put anything past the community organizer.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/shut...ing-lincoln-memorial-lawn/story?id=20498555#1

With the National Park Service hamstrung by furloughs, a South Carolina man took it upon himself today to do some grounds keeping at the Lincoln Memorial.

Chris Cox was pushing a lawnmower and toting a chainsaw on the north side of the monument, doing the landscaping work that Park Service employees would normally do.

"The building behind me serves as a moral compass not only for the country but for the world," Cox said. "And over my dead body are we going to let this deteriorate.

Cox felt the memorial should not be neglected.

"We got men coming here to see these memorials in wheelchairs carrying respirators. They had hand to hand combat with the Nazi's.Come on man, this is a no-brainer to keep this area clean for them," he said.

"I've emptied hundreds of trash cans. I've cut up branches that have fallen during storms in these handicapped access roads," Cox said.

The U.S. Park Police told ABC News that Cox was "told to leave and he left." Cox was not arrested or fined for violating the official closure of the monument, said Sgt. Paul Brooks. He did not finish moving the grass around the Lincoln Memorial, Brooks said.

Raleigh, you seriously believe that any schmo should be able to do landscaping in a national park?

Last edited:
Raleigh, you seriously believe that any schmo should be able to do landscaping in a national park?

Yeah, it would just be a matter of time until some redneck butchered an oak tree's limbs (pruning for firewood).

I've learned to not take seriously the opinion of anyone who calls him the "community organizer." I get gripes with Obama, but people who espouse this talking point are usually morons. RaleighDevil certainly fits the bill based on his posting history.

I've learned to not take seriously the opinion of anyone who calls him the "community organizer." I get gripes with Obama, but people who espouse this talking point are usually morons. RaleighDevil certainly fits the bill based on his posting history.

I get what you are saying as far as it being a snide insult, but it is relevent in a discussion specifically comparing him to Teddy Roosevelt. If you have a problem, and no one else can help, maybe you should call ... (a) the war hero, explorer, and rancher; or (b) the community organizer. The main complaint of Obama before he was elected was that he did not have the experience to do the job. So we go ahead and elect a community organizer to be President, and our entire federal government goes to shit. Not only is it not surprising, but it is extremely relevent to the situation in which we find ourselves.

Yeah. Judging your president by the job he had a year or two right out of undergrad is pretty silly.

Sure, if he had some other relevent experience in the interim.

Kind of ageist don't you think?

I don't have my pocket Constitution on me tight now. Can you remind me what relevant experience the founding fathers required?

MLK was a community organizer and a preacher. What an asshole that guy was.

Kind of ageist don't you think?

If there is one position in which we should be allowed to be ageist, it would be the President. Hell, ageism is written into the requirements, and were written in when life expectencies were much shorter.

Back