• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

So you guys don't eat animal meat/fish then either?

I do. I go out of my way to support small scale, local, and sustainable operations, e.g., free range land animal farms, and local / line-caught / sustainable fisheries.

Michael: Lindsay, you have to cut back on everything, okay? I'm even selling the corporate jet.
Lindsay Funke: Great. So now we don't have a car or a jet? Why don't we just take an ad out in I'm Poor Magazine?
Michael: Look, I'm trying to get developments started, all right? I've got six guys on bulldozers waiting to get underway.
Lindsay Funke: Bulldozing?
Michael: Yup.
Lindsay Funke: Well, what about the trees?
Michael: Oh, we're just gonna cover them with blankets. I'm ripping them out.
Lindsay Funke: Anything for a buck, right? You are so materialistic.
Michael: Don't suddenly turn this into one of your causes.
Lindsay Funke: It's not suddenly, Michael. I've always been deeply passionate about nature. Perhaps you remember Neuterfest?
Michael: I'll never forget your wedding.
Lindsay Funke: I care deeply for nature.
Michael: You're wearing ostrich skin boots.
Lindsay Funke: Well, I don't care about ostriches.

Last edited:
I do. I go out of my way to support small scale, local, and sustainable operations, e.g., free range land animal farms, and local / line-caught / sustainable fisheries.

Those animals still aren't free, and then they also get murdered for your food. Not really sure how you can be anti-zoo and still fine with eating meat, unless you're just really good at compartmentalizing things and/or handling cognitive dissonance.

Those animals still aren't free, and then they also get murdered for your food. Not really sure how you can be anti-zoo and still fine with eating meat, unless you're just really good at compartmentalizing things and/or handling cognitive dissonance.

it's still a more tenable position than brasky's

hates zoos
hates free range animals

#densecity

Both things are #contrived, and create lifespans in which animals are shown a part of life that they'll never get to experience. Just so that humans can feel better about themselves.

I can go into more detail, but tapatalk.

This probably isn't what you are saying at all, but I always read comments like this as "I shop at Whole Foods, and eat at really nice restaurants." I think it's great that you do this, but is the decision made on principle or just the fact it local/free range stuff tastes so much better?

Yeah maybe so, but those are also animals that have been part of the food production eco-system for a long time that generate tangible net benefits to society. Does the captivity of Zebras generate a comparable benefit to society in the way that food producing animals do?

I'm not advocating we turn out dogs and cats and revert to a strict hunter-gather society for food production, but I think there are gains to be made in how we manage captive animals.

This probably isn't what you are saying at all, but I always read comments like this as "I shop at Whole Foods, and eat at really nice restaurants." I think it's great that you do this, but is the decision made on principle or just the fact it local/free range stuff tastes so much better?

Tastes better.

Yeah maybe so, but those are also animals that have been part of the food production eco-system for a long time that generate tangible net benefits to society. Does the captivity of Zebras generate a comparable benefit to society in the way that food producing animals do?

I'm not advocating we turn out dogs and cats and revert to a strict hunter-gather society for food production, but I think there are gains to be made in how we manage captive animals.

Ok, so it's just a cost-benefit analysis and has nothing to do with the morality regarding the captivity of animals. Fair enough.

I rarely shop at whole foods; there are a number of local producers in my area that are equally accessible at this point. Growing up surround by and involved with BIG AG, I've seen, first hand, large scale production and while it's a way of doing things, it's not the only way. I think there are benefits to investing in local production when possible.

I want to join this conversation but don't really have anything more to say than what leftcoastdeac already said.

Biodiversity is important to every species on Earth. If we're going to contribute to habitat destruction, overfishing, pollution, etc., I would argue that we should at least consider the long term tangible benefits to society that we try to conserve/preserve species biodiversity, either in captivity or in the wild.

Back