• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

I like cranberry sauce but not with Thanksgiving foods. I usually make it and will have a few spoonfulls on its own, but never on my plate with turkey and stuffing and certainly not on a sandwich.

Not sure if this is unpopular but I think it could be so I'll try.

I only enjoy 1 traditional Thanksgiving meal. Being a child of divorce, I not only had AT LEAST 2 growing up, but usually more when grandparents were factored in. Now I have the wife's family, so I pretty much hate more than 1 traditional meal. Give me wings, ribs and steaks for meals 2 and 3.

This year, my side of the family isn't doing anything, on either side. But, my wife's conspiracy theory Trumpites are still gathering, which I'm anti-stoked about.

cranberry sauce is fine

there's a reason we don't eat it on everything

it's good, like gravy, to make bad turkey and bad mashed potatoes more palatable

You need something acidic and fresh like cranberry sauce to cut through all the other rich dishes. My mom does a cranberry Orange chutney that kicks ass.

I had a Publix turkey sub with cranberry orange relish that was fantastic.

Gravy is the unsung hero of thanksgiving foods. Perhaps not an unpopular opinion though.

Gravy is the unsung hero of thanksgiving foods. Perhaps not an unpopular opinion though.

Definitely not. Even the best mashed potatoes are better with gravy.

Stuffing goes from bottom 3 to top 3 Thanksgiving sides with the addition of sausage.

I saw a map of most popular Thanksgiving side dishes per state, and NC/SC was Mac n Cheese. WTF is that? I mean I love it, but I've never seen nor heard of it as a Thanksgiving side, let alone the most popular one.

I saw a map of most popular Thanksgiving side dishes per state, and NC/SC was Mac n Cheese. WTF is that? I mean I love it, but I've never seen nor heard of it as a Thanksgiving side, let alone the most popular one.

brasky and catamount nod heads enthusiastically

I think it's big in Black households. at least a lot of families I knew growing up did.

I had a Publix turkey sub with cranberry orange relish that was fantastic.

Publix is now the closest grocery store to us, and all I heard about in anticipation of the store opening was how great the subs are. Huge disappointment. I get they’re probably good for the price, but Jersey Mike’s and Wegmans are way better.

I wish there were more Wegmans in the Carolinas. That store was great when I went in Raleigh.

Publix is now the closest grocery store to us, and all I heard about in anticipation of the store opening was how great the subs are. Huge disappointment. I get they’re probably good for the price, but Jersey Mike’s and Wegmans are way better.

Publix makes a good sub but not better than Jersey Mike's. Publix subs are more like hoagies from Wawa.

Harris Teeter subs are OK (Boars Head meats/spreads are legit), but the bread is way too dense. I opt for the spinach wrap. If you get a "whole/footlong" wrap, they just make you two big regular size wraps. Pretty ridiculous deal when they're on sale for $3.99.

Publix fanatics are strange. It’s just a regular grocery store to those of us from civilization.

Publix used to make a tasty Cuban back in the day-the would drizzle it with honey and press it. They don't do that anymore, or maybe only the one location I went to in Columbia did that.

people go to grocery stores to get sandwiches?

When I would have to go to North Hills periodically for work it was great to pop into Harris Teeter for a quick lunch. Their subs are really surprisingly good. I actually love the bread.

The new Wegman’s between Durham and Chapel Hill on 15-501 is gearing up to open soon. Looking forward to checking that out for the spectacle if nothing else.

Back