• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

I’ve seen in numerous places to avoid Costco steaks as they’re blade tenderized? I don’t have a membership so I am unsure if that’s correct or not.

I’ve seen in numerous places to avoid Costco steaks as they’re blade tenderized? I don’t have a membership so I am unsure if that’s correct or not.

Costco labels their steaks that are blade tenderized. The only downside to the practice is a minimally increased chance of food borne illness if you cook the steak lower than medium well (obviously you should be). I’ve never heard of someone getting sick from a steak there. The other thing to consider is that Costco isn’t the only place using blade tenderizers. They just label the meat. IMO, the filets from Costco are superior to any other store. They’re also the perfect size if your cooking on the BGE, because they’re big enough to still be medium rare when you get a nice char on the outside.

we're kind of losing the plot here a little bit. It is definitely not an unpopular opinion to say that Costco has good quality food for a good price.

Yep, that’s just wrong about grass fed being less flavorful.

How is it wrong? Grass fed is signficantly more lean, and it’s generally the fat that makes a steak taste good. By virtually all beef grading systems in either the US or across the world, beef with more fat gets higher grades. And grass fed has less of it.

It’s just another health conscious fad like beyond meat that tastes like shit

Grass-Fed vs. Grain-Fed Beef

Our conclusion: For non-dry-aged grass-fed beef, the jury is still out over whether it tastes any better (or worse) than grain-fed. But if your grass-fed beef is dry-aged—and if you’re okay with fattier cuts like rib-eye that taste a little gamey—you’ll likely find the meat as buttery and richly flavored as regular grain-fed dry-aged beef.

Grass-Fed Beef versus Grain-Fed Beef

... As we tasted more beef, however, we found that there aren't clear-cut, consistent taste differences between grass-fed and grain-fed meat. This emerged after a blind tasting of eight New York strips, cooked identically. Samples included regular supermarket beef; steak from our grass-fed cow; and meat from a variety of grass-fed and grain-fed animals of different breeds raised in different states. The latter came from a "Discover Beef" tasting pack from The Artisan Beef Institute in Santa Rosa, California, whose founder, Carrie Oliver, applies the wine-tasting model to meats.

Our testers liked several samples but discovered no universal preference for grass-fed or grain-fed, finding various degrees of beefiness and juiciness across the samples. Beef really is like cheese or tomatoes or any other food: The proof is in the pudding, not in claims about the pudding. The cook needs to explore and sample with an open mind. But this is good: However the politics of beef resolve themselves, the move from industrial production toward more emphasis on breeds, feed, care, and provenance will present the American cook with more choice, more variety—and more pleasures in the kitchen and on the plate.

Of course, it’s significantly a matter of preference. But I like the taste of the grass fed stuff, generally.

I think my opinion is less popular...so there.

There's gotta be a fresh tuna joke somewhere around here.

Every time I’m making a tuna sandwich I remember my high school friend’s dad coming in when we were all hanging out and seeing a room full of guys and no girls and shaking his head and going “where’s the tuna, boys?” and walking out. Still cracks me up. Guess you can’t say that shit any more.

On topic, tuna and pimento cheese is a damn fine sandwich

Every time I’m making a tuna sandwich I remember my high school friend’s dad coming in when we were all hanging out and seeing a room full of guys and no girls and shaking his head and going “where’s the tuna, boys?” and walking out. Still cracks me up. Guess you can’t say that shit any more.

On topic, tuna and pimento cheese is a damn fine sandwich

Dear god. Tuna and pimento. I’ve alerted the authorities and they’re coming to take your children

How is it wrong? Grass fed is signficantly more lean, and it’s generally the fat that makes a steak taste good. By virtually all beef grading systems in either the US or across the world, beef with more fat gets higher grades. And grass fed has less of it.

It’s just another health conscious fad like beyond meat that tastes like shit

It's been many years since I've read HEAT by Buford, but what has stuck w/me for a long time were the chapters about his time spent with Dario Cecchini (sp?) and his very strong opinions on grass fed beef being significantly better. That dude didn't necessarily represent himself the best on Top Chef this past season (mostly because of language I think) but he is super well respected as someone that knows meat so I think I'd value his opinion p highly. Would recommend the book in general and v interested in your opinion on those sections.

It's been many years since I've read HEAT by Buford, but what has stuck w/me for a long time were the chapters about his time spent with Dario Cecchini (sp?) and his very strong opinions on grass fed beef being significantly better. That dude didn't necessarily represent himself the best on Top Chef this past season (mostly because of language I think) but he is super well respected as someone that knows meat so I think I'd value his opinion p highly. Would recommend the book in general and v interested in your opinion on those sections.

In reading about it yesterday, there are people who seem to really like their beef tasting a bit more gamey. I find gamey meat to taste bland. Both grass fed and dry aging tends to add to the gamey flavors.

I’ve tried really excessively dry aged (90-120 day) beef and it was inedible. Regular 21 dry aged beef I can eat regularly, but I don’t necessarily seek out dry aged steaks as doesn’t seem to enhance it much per my taste buds.

It’s really easy for me to pick a steak I’m going to like as it’s just going to be the most consistently marbled, which is usually strip steaks. Wagyu , then american/Australian wagyu, then grain fed beef in that order usually has that appearance.

I don’t order ribeyes (which is a lot of people’s favorites) as their fat generally is less evenly distributed, so it doesn’t taste as good to me.

Similarly I’d never choose to eat 90% hamburger meat over fattier options.

Last edited:
The only thing that differentiates any of the "nicer" grocery stores these days is that the Lowe's up the street from me will let me drink three beers while walking around the store.

It is a real game changer. Now I've never had more than one, but one day post-Rona I'm going up there and just hanging out for a few hours. The bar area seems decent enough. I've actually seen a few different after-work crews in their having happy hour which blew me away.

Besides that they're all basically the same now if you go to an updated Publix, Teeter, Lowe's, etc.

The only thing that differentiates any of the "nicer" grocery stores these days is that the Lowe's up the street from me will let me drink three beers while walking around the store.

It is a real game changer. Now I've never had more than one, but one day post-Rona I'm going up there and just hanging out for a few hours. The bar area seems decent enough. I've actually seen a few different after-work crews in their having happy hour which blew me away.

Besides that they're all basically the same now if you go to an updated Publix, Teeter, Lowe's, etc.

I don't need to be in a grocery store long enough to drink 3 beers, but damn if picking a random IPA you've never tried and walking around with a cupholder in the cart doesn't sound like heaven. I've seen bars at whole foods, didn't realize you could take a beer to go in there.

Last edited:
Back