• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

Coach O: "BJ and the Bear was the Breaking Bad of the 80's"

I guess if you’re from that era, but the jokes aren’t that funny. I actually agree about All in the Family. That the working class retrograde father Al was sexist and racist was a great mechanism to explore social issues. Cheers is fine but doesn’t hold up either.

Oh could not disagree more about Cheers. Writing is so solid on that show. Cheers and Golden Girls are the two sitcoms from that era that really hold up IMO

I don't know how much I value "holding up" or if I think something being "of its time" is a putdown

my brother used the latter about the Office and I'm not sure it matters

it might mean it won't be well regarded in a few generations, but I don't think that changes the evaluation for what it was

70s sitcoms seem to have a perspective and a point that spoke to the social and political context.

80s sitcoms were more about putting people in a funny situation for 30 min. They didn’t really have a perspective aside from some “very special episode.”

Some 80s sitcoms like Family Ties, Family Matters, and IIRC Perfect Strangers started with an interesting perspective and then largely abandoned them to focus on one breakout character.

I definitely think 70s sitcoms overall would be more rewatchable than all but a few 80s sitcoms that had top quality writing like The Cosby Show and The Golden Girls.

Looking back the 80s were a pretty horrible decade for everything except rap music and college and NBA basketball.

Last edited:
I guess if you’re from that era, but the jokes aren’t that funny. I actually agree about All in the Family. That the working class retrograde father Al was sexist and racist was a great mechanism to explore social issues. Cheers is fine but doesn’t hold up either.

yep, correct take.

60s stuff holds up better

If a sitcom existed for 105 months and 3 of those months were in the 80s was it an 80s sitcoms? Going to have to go with no there.

If a sitcom existed for 105 months and 3 of those months were in the 80s was it an 80s sitcoms? Going to have to go with no there.

Did it start in the 80s and continue with crappy writing or did it start in the 70s and ride its natural course. Two different situations.

remember how in Growing Pains they'd have those episodes where characters would hear The Entertainer being played, in world?

yeah, uptight rich white people is eternal.

it is, however, fucking bananas the show ran for 11 years when watched in a binge fashion.

remember how in Growing Pains they'd have those episodes where characters would hear The Entertainer being played, in world?

No. I remember quite little about it but I’m pretty sure I watched almost every episode.

One thing I didn’t realize until WandaVision is that there was little difference between 90s and 80s sitcoms especially family sitcoms. They were pretty redundant stylistically.

No. I remember quite little about it but I’m pretty sure I watched almost every episode.

One thing I didn’t realize until WandaVision is that there was little difference between 90s and 80s sitcoms especially family sitcoms. They were pretty redundant stylistically.

trying to find a clip

i def teared up as a kid when Boner joined the Marines and said his goodbye to Mike

I definitely remember Boner. Loved the WandaVision reference to him.

0*5rAbFk-wfex320mL.jpg

if you're that snobbish you can't fucking enjoy fast food i probably don't want to hang out with you

I can enjoy fast food but not like eating at chain sit-down restaurants without being "snobbish". I like knowing the people who feed me and like helping people live their dreams.

Back