• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

oh brother

definitely the most self-important album since 2000

i won't go past '10 bc i'm not comfortable with those judgments yet, but looking at my notes...

here's a brief look (all my humble, white person opinion) of the better, commercially successful albums of the 2000s (ignoring Kanye's other stuff):

Stankonia
The Blueprint/The Black Album
Hell Hath No Fury
Food and Liquor
Supreme Clientele
Be/Like Water for Chocolate
The Carter II/III
Chocolate Factory
Trap Muzik
Get Rich or Die Tryin

then you have (not commercially successful) hip hop/ R&B albums better since 2000:

Cam'ron: Purple Haze
Subtle: For Hero, For Fool
Erykah Badu: New Amerykah Part One
Prefuse 73: Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives
Invincible: Shapeshifters
Viktor Vaughn: Vaudeville Villain
Noah23: Quicksand
Young Jeezy: The Recession
Cannibal Ox: The Cold Vein
Raekwon: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2
D'Angelo: Voodoo
Black Milk: Tronic
Edan: Beauty and the Beat
J Dilla: Donuts

Kanye isn't great because his music is great; everybody loves his production, but I'd take half of my list (black milk, j dilla, noah23, prefuse 73) over kanye in that regard, and most people agree he isn't that great a rapper; he's outpaced by basically everyone on my list. He's successful and beloved because of his celebrite, the shit he says on tv, and Pitchfork. He stopped making great albums 6 or 7 years ago.

oh brother

definitely the most self-important album since 2000

Maybe, but I fucks with self-importance. It's a nice contrast to the self-deprecation of many other genres (and my own anxieties). I'm a Kanye stan. It's my desert island album by my desert island artist.

Also, it's interesting to note that Kanye produced tracks for several of the albums that you listed. His outsize personality is part of the fun, I suppose. There's also the attraction to the rapper-producer a la the singer-songwriter.

Also, it's interesting to note that Kanye produced tracks for several of the albums that you listed. His outsize personality is part of the fun, I suppose. There's also the attraction to the rapper-producer a la the singer-songwriter.

And I'm overly hyper-critical of Kanye, mostly because of the back to back 10.0s he got from P4K. I really, really like his music. It doesn't come across that way when I criticize so heavily, either. Just needed to get that out there. Late Registration, College Dropout, Graduation are 3 of my 20 or so favorite rap albums O.A.T.

Oh yea and 8701. I still listen that shit. Regularly.

Come Home With Me is Cam'ron's best solo album, and Diplomatic Immunity belongs on that list as does Lord Willing by The Clipse

editors note: the best song on Come Home With Me is "Dead or Alive", produced by Kanye West

Last edited:
Downloaded College Dropout on Spotify this morning after this reading this thread. So good. Like the 13th best song is still killer.

Downloaded College Dropout on Spotify this morning after this reading this thread. So good. Like the 13th best song is still killer.

Jesus Walks is the only track I always skip. Never cared for that one (I think it's townie's favorite or close to it).

We Don't Care is my favorite "mainstream" song and School Spirit is the best "non-mainstream" track

Yes my definiton of mainstream makes zero sense. But its all I could come up with.

back to the thread topic.

Rap music, for the most part, sucks. A few winners, a whole lotta losers.

Listening to College Dropout now. "Breathe In, Breathe Out" is the "worst" track, but it's hot.

I'm biased about this album. It came out when I was finishing my dissertation. I listened to it along with Speakerboxx/Love Below, several times a day. The skits hit home because I had no idea if I was only going to have that degree to keep me satisfied when it was all over.

And now "Two Words" to start one of the best album endings ever.

Last edited:
Back