• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

A typical umbrella doesn't even keep you dry unless you're tiny.

That's like saying a typical shirt doesn't fit unless you're tiny. Buy a decent umbrella. I'm a big dude and I use the shit out of my umbrella. The anti-umbrella group may be the craziest group on this thread. In a million years I would never think that some people think umbrellas are dumb.

There's no manly way to hold an umbrella

19bent.1.184.jpg

I've never owned an umbrella. Granted it never rains where I live and my preferred shoe of choice are Sperrys which helps when it does rain. I also never wear a jacket and like to call myself impervious to the elements bc it makes me feel cool and manly.

I've never owned an umbrella. Granted it never rains where I live and my preferred shoe of choice are Sperrys which helps when it does rain. I also never wear a jacket and like to call myself impervious to the elements bc it makes me feel cool and manly.

well you better get one since you're downgrading your geographic location soon. have fun with all that rain.

well you better get one since you're downgrading your geographic location soon. have fun with all that rain.

Hmm Santa Monica apparently gets 32 days of rain per year, which still seems high. DC at 114 plus 8 days of snow.

yah but you are better equipped to handle a little rain with your SANJAYA locks vs. mr chrome dome buckets.

That's like saying a typical shirt doesn't fit unless you're tiny. Buy a decent umbrella. I'm a big dude and I use the shit out of my umbrella. The anti-umbrella group may be the craziest group on this thread. In a million years I would never think that some people think umbrellas are dumb.

It makes more sense to cover myself than to hold a small tent over my head to protect myself from water falling from the sky especially if it's windy.

I don't take public transportation nearly as often as I used to (since I now drive or walk to work), but people who rely solely on rain jackets and don't use umbrellas, and then sit on a bus/metro seat make me irate. They get the seat sopping wet as well as the person sitting next to them.

Too much hassle to protect yourself from getting wet.

Too much hassle to protect yourself from getting wet.

How is it more hassle than putting on a rain jacket and having to find a place to hang it up to dry? I mean, you just kind of hold it in the general direction of the rain. I'm baffled by this.

What do you do with a sopping wet jacket once you get to where you are going? There are lots of places where the hassle of a wet jacket is much more of a hassle of an umbrella.

Coatrack. Back of a chair. Door handle. Wherever.

How is it more hassle than putting on a rain jacket and having to find a place to hang it up to dry? I mean, you just kind of hold it in the general direction of the rain. I'm baffled by this.

This. I have no preference. I don't understand the strong opinion one way or another.

Rainjackets are nice but if it's a decent rain you are going to get it in the face more than Townie's college GF. I hate that shit.

I don't want a big puddle in my house or office, nor do I want a wet coat on a rack with my dry coats. If I'm at a restaurant I don't want that rain coat on the chair I'm sitting on (which creates a puddle in the travelled way making it dangerous for restaurant staff). How about at the movies? You just take up another seat with your wet coat?

Back