• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

Umbrellas are better in warmer rains because you don't have an extra layer to deal with. They are also quicker to use when making short trips to/from the car. Give me a rain shell when it's colder or I'm in for longer exposure to the elements.

i hate umbrellas. it has more to do with the amount of walk-commuting in the rain i've done and being 6'6 and idiots not realizing their damn umbrellas are at eye level for me than not liking using them.

I don't need a raincoat or umbrella for light or moderate rain. I want one or the other for heavy rain.

yea look i get the concept of umbrellas

but phan is right

it's the sidewalk donks who will just take your eye out and not GAF when you're walking in the city

i'm considerate enough not to drip all over ppl's stuff

if it's raining hard enough i'll drive or take a cab

they break, you lose them, they are a hassle, ppl who use them are annoying, etc.

they're just overrated

i hate umbrellas. it has more to do with the amount of walk-commuting in the rain i've done and being 6'6 and idiots not realizing their damn umbrellas are at eye level for me than not liking using them.

Definitely this. The risk of being hit in the eye is very annoying because nobody like up to see if they may hit somebody.

this thread has certainly shown me that my life experience is vastly different from others'

Sure if I was the Penguin.

When I moved to Portland, I was told 'true Portlanders don't use umbrellas.' I thought this was absolutely ridiculous... until later that year when I realized walking an extended distance (and by extended i really just mean the 4-5 blocks to the train) holding an umbrella is a pain in the ass. Give me a rain jacket every day. Hell, unless it's raining hard I probably won't even put the hood up.
That said, the rain in Portland is rarely a hard rain (hard = the drops make little splash-landings in the street). If it's absolutely dumping, I'll go jacket + umbrella so my bag and legs stay just a little drier than they would otherwise.

I agree that umbrellas are dumb.

When it is pouring rain, I just don't walk around outside.

Things are a bit different if you are a person that has to walk to/from work. Then, I get it. Just be aware of your umbrella and it's dangerous pointy parts.

The only time I use an umbrella is if I have to play golf in the rain... and then it is more to try to keep my hands/grips dry.

I'm also in the umbrellas are stupid camp. The only time I ever use one is if I'm walking with other people that use them (so women) and I usually just end up holding it.

On my own I never use one.

i do not own an umbrella

i like the rihanna song, tho

No they're still dumb when Im using them

townie, brasky, millennials, etc.
broken_umbrella_by_nastynoser.jpg

Back