• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

Not sure of the popularity status of this opinion, but...

Really expensive watches are a complete waste of money.

I think that is probably a common opinion. Though it's one I completely disagree with.

i don't either. aside from the prestige angle, which is totes valid, what's so great about a $50k watch?

hmm, couldn't the same be said for cars, clothes, all jewelry, home furnishings, food.....

Yes to jewelry. The others for the most part vary more in quality from cheaper to expensive.

maybe not, but we're talking about a fairly antiquated piece of equipment. do we need a (relatively fragile, compared to things like furniture or vehicle engines) analog timekeeping device to last 40-50 years?

Watches at $50k are like buying art

do they appreciate?

i get the legacy bit - seems like a good investment, and great to leave a future generation, but do they increase in value with age (and care)?

maybe not, but we're talking about a fairly antiquated piece of equipment. do we need a (relatively fragile, compared to things like furniture or vehicle engines) analog timekeeping device to last 40-50 years?

If we like watches then yes, we want them to last so they may be enjoyed for a lifetime. If you just want to know what time it is, buy a Fossil. If you like craftsmanship and styling and high quality machines, buy an Omega or a Breitling.

If you just want to get from point a to point b safely and relatively efficiently, buy a Civic. If you want high quality and craftsmanship and styling buy a Mercedes or a vintage Mustang or whatever.

If you want nutrition and calories to function buy a salad and a breast of chicken from Trader Joe's. If you want exquisite flavor notes and combinations and pairings, go to a French restaurant and lay down $200 for a meal.

If you want to sit down, buy a chair from Wal Mart. If you want styling and comfort and durability, get a $2000 chair....

etc

do they appreciate?

i get the legacy bit - seems like a good investment, and great to leave a future generation, but do they increase in value with age (and care)?

some watches definitely do increase in value, especially if we're talking in the $50k+ range because part of what drives those prices is scarcity and that will only increase with time

in general though, there's a value drop between new and pre-owned watches, but once a watch is pre-owned it will hold its value pretty (ie it doesn't depreciate like an expensive car). for that reason, there are much dumber unnecessary things for people with too much money to buy.

yeah. We all have our favorite shit. I know guys who have spent thousands on vintage guitars. I've been playing in bands for decades and I have heard hundreds of electric guitars and I can't hear the difference between a pre CBS strat and a post CBS strat, really.

:couch:

This. We're starting the era of Google glass. A watch is simply jewelry. The other functions have been rendered near moot.

Back