• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

Now we’re talking

Think it’s D’Alessandros (way out there though, not in Philly proper) as the best, hard to argue otherwise

Then the Sonny’s/Jim’s/Steaks on South tier, excellent

Then Tony Luke’s, Steve’s good if you’re drunk or looking for a junk meal

Then everything else is just not really worth the time imo

To this day best Cheesesteak I've ever had was at Daryls down the street from Wake. (Used to work there)

Now we’re talking

Think it’s D’Alessandros (way out there though, not in Philly proper) as the best, hard to argue otherwise

Without question D'Alessandro's is the best.

Jim's is the top of the ones that are in tour guides.

Not sure how Larry's has held up over the years. Used to love to the original one (across from Overbrook High) after playing bball and to see the Sixers have lunch after practice. After having a cheesesteak at Larry's we'd go around the corner to the front of the Brook for water ice at The Stand (that's the only name we ever knew it by). It was in a guy's garage. The guy sold so much water ice that he lived in FL from mid-Sept - mid-March and had the place closed during the fall and winter.

Lots of neighborhoods have excellent sandwich shops. One of my favorites has been the Italian Kitchen in Yeadon. The Thurnderbird in Broomall has been a landmark for over fifty years. Pinocchio's in Media is also good.

I like cheesesteaks but they get pretty monotonous quickly. The best sandwiches have contrasting bites, good condiments, and, ideally, pickled stuff

You can get them with all sorts of peppers, mushrooms, sauces and get lots of different flavors in every bite.

unfortunately, every one of those bites takes place in philly, so it ends up tasting mainly like sweat and despair

You can get them with all sorts of peppers, mushrooms, sauces and get lots of different flavors in every bite.

Yeah I’ve had plenty with those things in Philly and not and they all sorta blend together after a while.

Here's a Philly trick. Have catsup, BBQ, pizza sauce or whatever cooked on the grill with your sandwich not added on top or between the roll and the meat.

Not quite sure how to read these recent Philly takes on the unpopular opinion thread. They appear to be meant to enlighten but this is the unpopular opinion thread so...

i have been to the places you people all talk about. it's good, but it's not life changing. someone even had me go eat some shit with broccolini and pork on it, which was annoying - if i'm going to eat a philly sandwich at least let me have the damn cheesesteak.

a cheesesteak is just as good as an italian beef sandwich from chicago.

I was with you until this post. I love the philly roast pork sandwich.

Italian beef should be the signature Chicago food. Not their pizza or hot dogs.

Dude if you’re going to do trash sports bar in Durham you gotta go Carolina Ale House. Devine’s if you’re really feeling trashy.

Did you ever go to Satisfaction’s before they closed?

It’s like a half step above Shooters TBH

Man I miss Sati’s. But part of that might just be missing being 24

These posts bring back good memories.

Now we’re talking

This. Cosmi's deli is pretty good if you are close to downtown or the Linc/CBP, but Dalessandros is the clear winner if you can get out there. Pat's and Geno's are for tourists. I can also do the heater at Campo's, but I've hear that they have gone downhill.

Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
Dude if you’re going to do trash sports bar in Durham you gotta go Carolina Ale House. Devine’s if you’re really feeling trashy.

Devines is good. Last meal I had at a Carolina ale house (in Columbia) was inedibly salty.

To this day best Cheesesteak I've ever had was at Daryls down the street from Wake. (Used to work there)
Reminds me of the shaved rib eye steak sandwich that the Reynolda snack bar (Son of Pit) had in the 70s. They served it with their greasy fries. A good place to use up your meal card! Students working part-time did the cooking.

I remember the snack pit from the early 80s.

The food wasn’t bad...great for a break/snack or meal.

And a game of asteroids.

Philadelphia is the worst major city in the US and Pennsylvania is a bottom 10% state. This is not an unpopluar opinion.

Only cities that qualify for worst major cities are those without a river/riverfront, imo.

Dallas, Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, etc.

Back