• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread: TIMOTHY THEODORE DUNCAN #5

I was at that game, too.

As was I. I wasn't overly impressed with Lebron from that game, probably because he didn't make any of his teammates better.

Best high school player I've seen was Felipe Lopez. Nobody could guard him at the time, including some other future NBA guys. Marbury was probably the next best.

Can you quantify how other elite players make their teammates better? Let alone at the age of 17?

I'd specifically like to know how HS Starbury made his teammates better.

Can you quantify how other elite players make their teammates better? Let alone at the age of 17?

even though 2&2 was joking around, you can easily tell what elite HS players make their teammates better. CP did it to name just one.

Even though 2&2 was "joking around," how did CP do it? And how did LeBron not do it?

what do you mean, how did cp do it? have you ever watched cp play?

i'm not making any comments about lebron

there was a magical time in the carolinas where tons of guys came out... chris paul, felton, mccants, sean may, eric williams, shavlik, anthony richardson, pj tucker, melo even stuck around one summer, reyshawn terry, justin gray

The Cap 6 was so dirty back in the early 2000s. Shav vs. Anthony Richardson sold out Reynolds Coliseum. Every team had a legit big man. Sanderson had this 7'2" guy with a genetic disorder that could only play like 15 minutes a game, but he was huge. In addition to your above list Shawan Robinson, CamStan, Carlos Boozer's brother, and a few others played big time college ball.

You could go to a few events in the Triangle and Triad and see most of the Top 50, a dozen or so future All-ACC players, and several NBA players.

"making your teammates better" = being so effing good at basketball that the other team swarms 2+ dudes on you every time you sniff the ball such that your teammates get to stand around and jack up wide-open shots whenever you pass it to them

"making your teammates better" = being so effing good at basketball that the other team swarms 2+ dudes on you every time you sniff the ball such that your teammates get to stand around and jack up wide-open shots whenever you pass it to them

Way too simiplistic! It's about giving your teammates more confidence than they would have had otherwise. It's about getting them in the right positions for them to do what they do best. it's about knowing when and where to use your teammates.

Yeah, I read it yesterday. It was a fun read. It's not by high school class or age, but I could start there and reorganize to get a better sense of variance by birth cohort, a variance that should of course, not exist.

Another way to look at birth cohorts is to chart every player in the NBA over time by age. The age variance in the NBA shouldn't change from year to year. Any unexpected spikes would show that some birth years generated more talent than others, which again of course, should not happen.

Last edited:

interesting that since duncan was drafted simmons credits the spurs with taking the best player in the draft 3 times and the second best once (though only duncan was #1 over all) only other team close that i saw was thunder with the best 2 times, one third and one fourth in a span of 3 seasons.

The Thunder are hurt by having Westbrook and Ibaka in the same draft because certainly Ibaka would have been the best player in a few of those drafts.

true. but you could say that about a number of players and draft classes. it's a function of good talent evaluation (and coaching once the player is there) and luck. not sure if one is more important than the other.

Simmons point is that luck (winning the lottery) doesn't matter as much as your think. It's a simple point considering how many teams win the lottery and are back looking at ping pong balls the next year and I think the Spurs are the only team to win the lottery and not go back in the lottery.

Back