• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

I love this move for the Rangers. Even though princes contract is horrendous, the numbers he will put up in Arlington will make the next few years well worth it.

Now that they have a big bat, Cruz no longer holds all of the cards in negotiations

Agree with SMU on Kinsler.

I would love the Ranger to press hard now for McCann. At that point they add another bat and their backup catcher. They then let Cruz walk and keep Rios, Martin and Gentry in for speedy OF

In a few years, who'd be DHing? I imagine both Mac & princes only have a few years left in the field.

Why is it a solid deal for Detroit? Money is totally irrelevant to them. They needed to get more than a 2B for a power hitter.

In a few years, who'd be DHing? I imagine both Mac & princes only have a few years left in the field.

First off the Rangers have Soto at C as well to take some of that wear of McCann. There has also been talk of teaching McCann some first, which isnt unheard of for catchers.

You would also make McCanns deal a bit shorter

I guess I am just really high on some of our OF guys already on the roster. I think adding another bat plus Fielder allows you to t keep the young OF speed team and do other things :noidea:

Don't like this move for Texas, and this could be a real disaster of a contract in '17-'20. A fat slugger will not age well. Prince's 2013 season was already a pretty decent dropoff from previous year. Prince's father essentially stopped being an everyday player after age 32. Why not just keep Kinsler and sign Napoli or someone else to a 3 year deal for a fraction of the total cost?

Why is it a solid deal for Detroit? Money is totally irrelevant to them. They needed to get more than a 2B for a power hitter.

I like the deal for Detroit simply because they unloaded a terrible contract for a player who's production, I think, will decline significantly (and has already started to decline). Kinsler is a useful player, and doesn't have a terrible contract for higher 2b.

How mad is ARod that Texas and Detroit took the baseball-media attention away from his temper tantrum?

I, for one, am thankful for the teams for doing something interesting and unexpected. The offseason has been pretty boring so far. (I guess it usually is at this time of year, though. DO SOMETHING, TEAMS.)

Don't like this move for Texas, and this could be a real disaster of a contract in '17-'20. A fat slugger will not age well. Prince's 2013 season was already a pretty decent dropoff from previous year. Prince's father essentially stopped being an everyday player after age 32. Why not just keep Kinsler and sign Napoli or someone else to a 3 year deal for a fraction of the total cost?
Kinsler's last three HR years are 32 (an anomaly looking at his career stats), 19 and 13. Affectionately known as the "Pop-Up King" around here, I'll be shocked if he ever hits more than 20 in Detroit or hits better than .270. Plus, he's a selfish asshole.

The Rangers will be getting money from Detroit during '17-20, as I understand the deal, and they also have a TV deal kicking in after 2014 that will subsidize a lot of this. Not nearly as much risk as it appears on paper. Even if they're just paying him a ton of money to DH over those last few years, he may be worth it with the short porch in RF. I still expect them to go hard after Brian McCann.

I like the deal for Detroit simply because they unloaded a terrible contract for a player who's production, I think, will decline significantly (and has already started to decline). Kinsler is a useful player, and doesn't have a terrible contract for higher 2b.

After Cano signs, Kinsler will be either the second or third highest paid 2B in the majors for the next two years. His production has dropped from 32 HRs three years ago to 13 last year. And he's moving from a bandbox to home stadium the size of a national park.

His contract is horrible at $16M.

also, name the last FA 1B signed after 30 to age well. only guy you could argue for is konerko. I've seen some theories that the skill set required for 1B(all bat, no defensive value) ages worse than other positions. granted, 2B and C are the two candidates for the next spot in that list.

Basically, go after ss, 3b, or CFs as they tend to age better than guys with limited skillsets.

In support of this, Fielder, Pujols and Texiera all signed disastrous contracts.

After Cano signs, Kinsler will be either the second or third highest paid 2B in the majors for the next two years. His production has dropped from 32 HRs three years ago to 13 last year. And he's moving from a bandbox to home stadium the size of a national park.

His contract is horrible at $16M.

but its only 4 more years with a buyout: 13:$13M, 14:$16M, 15:$16M, 16:$14M, 17:$11M, 18:$10M club option ($5M buyout); much better than that 7 years left for Prince.

Low risk, low reward for Det. High risk, high reward for Tex. and that's just on paper. Rangers also took care of at least two other issues in one fell swoop.

Saw something hilarious on Twitter. Said Fielder's food item at the Ballpark (ala the Boomstick) should be a brisket volcano that spews mac and cheese.

Royals announce 4 CT press conference for a major baseball related announcement.

MrBrianKenny: Moore can not comment - says physical needed..on trade that will be announced.

Back