• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

Michael Weiner passed away today due to brain cancer. He was the MLBPA executive director & kept a busy schedule even while being treated. RIP.

There's nothing going on right now, so let’s take some time to laugh at Kirk Gibson.

“I’ll give you an example,” Gibson said. “Look at the guys who went down (on a goodwill tour of) Australia for us. Why did they do it? It’s who we are. It’s who the Diamondbacks are. We’re committed to the game of baseball. We’re committed to the community. I’ll put our organization up against anybody’s in terms of doing the right thing.

“We had Goldy go down there, along with Patrick Corbin and Derrick Hall, our president and CEO. Who’s the other team got down there? Are they too (expletive) good? Honestly?”

Link

The Diamondbacks are better people than the Dodgers because they took a trip to Australia, you see. The Dodgers are just a bunch of jerks.

Puig holds clinic for Little Leaguers at Dodger Stadium

Cards trade David Freese and Fernando Salas to the Angles for Peter Bourjos and Randall Grichuk. Think that Bourjos will be an upgrade over Jon Jay, who really was a weak link in the Cardinals line-up, both on offense and defense (Bourjos is an elite defender). I know the Cardinals really like Kolton Wong; so, maybe Matt Carpenter moves the 3rd, and Wong slides into the 2nd base spot. Would expect their next move would be to acquire a SS.

The Angels now have an everyday 3rd baseman (they were playing the likes of Chris Nelson and Andrew Romine last year), and will be hoping that Freese returns to his 2012 form.

Last edited:
Bourjos will have a career year at the plate because, well, you know, he is playing for the Cards now.

Mike Trout will finally get center field all to himself. I'm sure RJ is pleased ;)

Bourjos will have a career year at the plate because, well, you know, he is playing for the Cards now.

It is hard not to have a career year every season in St. Louis when you're doing it for The Greatest Fans In Baseball. If you are a Cardinal you are obligated to reward their excellence with your very best, every day.

Good to see the Yankees reverting to type and attempting to solve their roster problems by throwing massive amounts of money at players that will spend the majority of the contract on the wrong side of 30.

So the Yankees are the first team to give out a big money contract to a free agent? They're out to make phan look smart.

So the Yankees are the first team to give out a big money contract to a free agent? They're out to make phan look smart.

Anything to read between the lines regarding Cano?

sent from my Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Dan Haren to the Dodgers for $10MM. He was solid last year in the second half, after he stopped giving up home runs to everyone, and Dodger Stadium (plus AT&T and Petco) should help a bit with that.

Anything to read between the lines regarding Cano?

Dunno, I guess either they're not sure they want to give Cano the money he's looking for, or they are abandoning the goal to get under the luxury tax. So probably the latter. (They may be playing hardball a bit with Cano because they know his options are limited if he wants a big money contract.)

Back