• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

Overnight action: Jim Johnson for Jamile Weeks and PTBNL. Dan Duquette gambling 2011 is more indicitive of his talents than 2012.

Am I missing something or is this a very good trade for the Nats?

I'm shocked the Tigs let him go for that price. Lombo couldn't get a starting job on a team that desperately needed a 2B (I actually will miss him, though). Krol had some good moments, but his last two months here were very underwhelming. I guess Ray is the big piece, but he's below Roark, Jordan, Little Gio, Cole, and maybe even Solis for the young arms. I heard the Tigers wanted Jordan over Ray, which makes the trade a little better for Detroit, but Rizzo said no.

I did find this funny.

What do you do when you have a right-handed pitcher throw a critical postseason pitch to Big Papi, with the bases loaded, and the ball stays up? And Big Papi knocks said pitch over the wall for a dagger in the heart of all of Detroit? And you decide to move your one valuable left-handed pitcher into the rotation? Apparently you come to believe that southpaw prospects are the most valuable commodity in the game.

Last edited:
I'm shocked the Tigs let him go for that price. Lombo couldn't get a starting job on a team that desperately needed a 2B (I actually will miss him, though). Krol had some good moments, but his last two months here were very underwhelming. I guess Ray is the big piece, but he's below Roark, Jordan, Little Gio, Cole, and maybe even Solis for the young arms. I heard the Tigers wanted Jordan over Ray, which makes the trade a little better for Detroit, but Rizzo said no.

I did find this funny.

What do you do when you have a right-handed pitcher throw a critical postseason pitch to Big Papi, with the bases loaded, and the ball stays up? And Big Papi knocks said pitch over the wall for a dagger in the heart of all of Detroit? And you decide to move your one valuable left-handed pitcher into the rotation? Apparently you come to believe that southpaw prospects are the most valuable commodity in the game.

I heard they wanted Espi, Jordan and Clip. They basically got the B version of those players. Well done Rizzo.

MLB Posting System Proposal Includes Maximum Bid

So basically a "screw you" to teams that have money and win, but an advantage to those that have money and lose? Maybe the Phillies really are getting Tanaka. (Or maybe he's going to the Cubs.)

If that type of posting system happens, I think he ends up on the Astros. But I really doubt they get that all settled in time.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m
#Tigers close to signing free-agent closer Joe Nathan, sources tell me and @jonmorosi.

Makes sense after freeing up money.

nice to see the Rays putting some money in the Trop. Have to assume they will be there at least another 4-5 years

Baksug2CIAIDxHo.jpg:large

i just don't really get the tigers moving fister for that return. DD is a really good GM, so I'll assume he really likes Ray or is worried about Fister. it just seems like such a steal for the Nats who look really, really strong going in to next year.

I think the deal just comes down to really liking Ray. It's hard to get a beat on how good a prospect he is since he was a real riser last season, but a couple prospect scouts that I follow on twitter have said they were really, really impressed with Ray when they saw him last season. Sounds like he added a lot of control this past year and the results started piling up (a 11K, 2BB, 3H, 9IP performance at AA will really raise some eyebrows)

Problem is, he's unlikely to be Doug Fister. He seems like a guy who could contribute next season, but as with any minor league P it's not clear he's starter material.

Back