• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

No big MLB news in the past 12 hours? BORING.

Saw just a minute ago that the Sox paid Ellsbury $21 million in salary for his six full seasons in Boston. The Yankees will pay him that much for next season alone.

things said about manny ramirez or cc to boston. little BW that could just couldn't keep up.

god i love/hate what cashman is doing right now. they need IF depth regardless (ann bench depth really), so they sign the versatile KJ "in the likelihood they need a starting 2b." signing ellsburry and KJ first for leverage in signing cano.... brilliant. cashman is so good at what he does.

No big MLB news in the past 12 hours? BORING.

MLB ‏@MLB 1h
1B Paul Konerko is returning to the @whitesox on a 1-year, $2.5 million deal with a portion deferred, a source confirms to @scottmerkin.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 54m
#White Sox announce Konerko will receive $1.5M in 2014 and $1M in … wait for it … 2021! $2.5M in all on a one-year deal.

!!

i kinda hoped he'd be willing to sign elsewhere for a chance to make the playoffs. i.e. with the rays for cheap. this really leaves dunn w/o a home and $15 mill. he was DREADFUL last year, but he may make sense to a contender as a salary dump.

Woot looks like the Joe Nathan deal is finalized. 2 years, haven't seen the $ yet.

@Buster_ESPN: A rival executive on the Ellsbury signing: "If Scott signs a big free agent this early [in the offseason), it means it's bad for the team."

@Buster_ESPN: A rival executive on the Ellsbury signing: "If Scott signs a big free agent this early [in the offseason), it means it's bad for the team."

... Mike Rizzo?

I love anonymous rival exec quotes.

Yankees have fuck you money, though. Plus, with the Red Sox winning this year, they're extremely motivated. They'll beat any offer and I'd imagine Cano would give them the chance too.

Mariners offer reportedly topped the Yankees.

... as leaked to the NY Daily Times.

Yankees: We don’t need you, we have Ellsbury and McCann!
Cano: I don’t need you, I have the Mariners!

But seriously, they need one another.

So the latest Japanese posting deal looks like a $20m maximum bid and team with lowest MLB record getting rights?

Tanaka!!!!

Love that a Red Sox World Series is forcing the Yankees to abandon whatever stated plan they had to start rebuilding the farm system and start throwing stupid amounts of money at free agents again.

Love that a Red Sox World Series is forcing the Yankees to abandon whatever stated plan they had to start rebuilding the farm system and start throwing stupid amounts of money at free agents again.

i dunno how much that was the plan versus waiting for some big contracts to come off the books

Nathan signed for $20 million w/ $10 million option. $9 for year one, $10 for year two, $1 buyout

Shane Victorino and A.J. Pierzynski are on the same team

This is it, everyone. They said we were crazy. They said we were survivalist nuts. They called us a cult. But it's here. We were right. And now we're more prepared than everyone else, so we have to act quickly.

Shane Victorino and A.J. Pierzynski are on the same team.

THE FIRST RULE IS TO NOT PANIC. We've talked about this, Chad. You're trembling and shaking your head like this isn't what we've been preparing for this whole time. There isn't anything here that should surprise us. Panic and fear are just what they want.

Back