• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

They seem to want to get under the cap.

idk, maybe it's a good time for them, but it seemed to me like they really only had the bones of a team last year, and signing a bunch of overpriced FAs hasn't worked for them in a while, right? i know there's some good talent out there, though. if any assclowns can make it work, it's the yanks.

idk, maybe it's a good time for them, but it seemed to me like they really only had the bones of a team last year, and signing a bunch of overpriced FAs hasn't worked for them in a while, right? i know there's some good talent out there, though. if any assclowns can make it work, it's the yanks.

well they won a ws in 2009 doing that. they won 85 games last year despite playing lyle overbay, chris stewart, vernon wells, and ichiro's corpse an avg of 130 games each. they got nothing from arod or teix and cc had a down year. the 3 years prior they won 95 games or more every year. the demise of the yankees is greatly exaggerated.

who all did they sign before 09? was that the year they signed sabathia, burnett, tex, swish? didn't they also shed a ton of weight that offseason too, though?

thatw as that season. they did shed a fair amount of weight. theyre shedding grandy, youks, and mo this offseason. theyre also gaining $13 mill or so a year in rev sharing.

I do wonder about this thing with the Yankees trying to get under the luxury tax. I don’t doubt that they wanted to at some point, but, by the ESPN numbers, attendance fell by over 260K this year. I know they were already having some decrease due to ticket prices, but that’s well over double the drop in the prior years. With Yankee ticket prices, that’s a lot of money (and that doesn't take into account playoff revenue). At some point you’d think the savings from re-setting the luxury tax expense would no longer be worth the loss of revenue.

The sawx exercised their '14 option on Lester.

The Yankees' farm system is mostly crap. I agree with phan that they are likely going to spend a shitload of cash in free agency. I don't see any way they let Cano leave, even if he gets offered stupid money by the Dodgers.

As for the Sox, I definitely hope they bring back Napoli. I don't want to see Ellsbury go, but someone else (Mariners? Cubs?) is going to offer him more years and/or dollars than the Sox will spend. I also wouldn't mind bringing back Drew and keeping Bogaerts at 3rd.

Keep it coming--the anti-Red Sox bitterness only adds to the sublime satisfaction that is ultimate victory...

well one's actually lived in the city of his favorite team. he may top me in ws victories, but at least i dont live in hickory where dante's and zaxby's are fine cuisine and hickory dickory dock is a great way to spend a weekend.

The Yankees' farm system is mostly crap. I agree with phan that they are likely going to spend a shitload of cash in free agency. I don't see any way they let Cano leave, even if he gets offered stupid money by the Dodgers.

As for the Sox, I definitely hope they bring back Napoli. I don't want to see Ellsbury go, but someone else (Mariners? Cubs?) is going to offer him more years and/or dollars than the Sox will spend. I also wouldn't mind bringing back Drew and keeping Bogaerts at 3rd.
MANUAL BUZZER

DeacLaw, I know you don't know what just happened so let me explain it to you. If the poster before you lights you up on a nationally followed message board on the biggest day of the year with solid smack, you'd better respond right off the bat. You do not go right to your offseason transaction script. You do not go right to the Yankees and Red Sox. That guy took a baseball bat to you. At least acknowledge it. I understand you may not have been able to put together a solid comeback but you'd better at least acknowledge it. You'd better at least throw a punch in return. So I'm not gonna let that stand. No way, you gotta go. Let that be a lesson. Pay attention. Go with the show. React to what is happening. You can't just go to your script. Dude just took a bat to you for two minutes. You can't just not respond.

In spite of his dislike of the Red Sox, I actually enjoy deacphan's sabermetric posts. I know it bothers him that I'm a Sox fan that isn't from Massachusetts, but I've been cheering for them since I was 10 years old in 1986. Couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about that.

MAN I WONDER WHAT HAPPENED IN 1986 THAT WOULD HAVE MAAAAAAAADE YOU ROOT FOR THEM????

Some chick on my newsfeed has all of the sudden been showing up in a pink Sox hat and keeps talking about how much she loves the "Red Socks." smdh

derek jeter's contract will pay for itself. it's like arguing a team made a bad signing for the 25th man.

the yanks are going to destroy any previous offseason records for spending this year. cano and kuroda are locks. i'm betting they get at least 3 of garza, choo, ellsburry, drew, etc.

except for the fact that jeter will start with no backup when he gets injured/isn't good.

Marlins fan checking in here. We need C and someone that can protect Stanton. Moran will likely get promoted waay early. Pitching is actually okay, just really need LoMo to not suck, and then add a bat or two via FA.

sent from my Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

except for the fact that jeter will start with no backup when he gets injured/isn't good.

jeter put up a better war 3/4 years over hardy prior to this year when he didn't play. jeter hate is overblown.

jeter put up a better war 3/4 years over hardy prior to this year when he didn't play. jeter hate is overblown.

4.3, 2.6, 3.4 > 1.9, 3.9, -.6.

First is Hardy, 2nd is jeter, Jeter played 131, and 159 in 11 and 12. Also, getting old means more injuries. Jeter hate is realistic.

Back