• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

Seems like there is some pretty good closer talent out there.

So, I usually stay away from Heyman stuff, but I liked this article just for the predictions on contracts and to get an idea.

Would love to see the Cubs get Garza back at a 4/$65 deal and add Granderson for a cheap deal. Maybe grab a cheap 3B guy in Chavez to hold the fort for this year. That could still leave them room for a splashy FA play, if they need it.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24191882/freeagent-rankings-cano-clear-no-1-but-market-stronger-than-some-think

Lol, love Heyman helping to hype the FA market for Boras.

Lol, love Heyman helping to hype the FA market for Boras.

4. OF Shin-Soo Choo: His huge year made him millions ... make that, tens of millions. Jayson Werth-plus is the target figure. Agent: 6 years, $110M. GM: 6 years, $110M. Me: 6 yrs, $120M.

How annoyed do you think he was that the other two guys predicted less guaranteed money than Werth? You just know he wanted to guess 7/$140 or something, but going that far over the others would've looked silly.

Rick Renteria? Sure, whatever, not sure it is some super upgrade over Sveum - but maybe he can figure out how to use a pen.

wilmyershead.jpg

yeah that killed me.

i really like ddj at 2/10. i think the offseason plays out one of two rays for the rays: they move price and spend more money at 1b/c or they keep price and go sparingly there. i stole this from another DRB user, but see below:

Payroll_zps7b5d10da.png

i think we'll see fuld moved (either dfa, nt, or trade) and replaced by a rh of (rajai davis). grab one of the mediocre catchers and mediocre 1b. then get a rh bat that can hit and play primarily dh but maybe fake it elsewhere (delmon?). ii would love, love, love to sign marlon byrd to kill two birds w/ one stone, but i think he'll get too much money to be the short-hand of a platoon even if that's what he should be.

Joyce might get DFAd. 3-4 mil for a platoon DH and backup OF is a little high for the rays

Joyce might get DFAd. 3-4 mil for a platoon DH and backup OF is a little high for the rays

i'd think there's zero chance they DFA a 2 win player making 3-4 mill with another arb year left.

also, reynolds at 1/$3 makes too much sense.

will he be a 2 win player next year?

i'd guess near it. he's been 1.7 the last 2 and 3.5 the year before. i don't see any reason to think a player in his peak years would just disappear.

my ideal rays roster going in to next year right now:

Rays2014roster_zps4f340b29.png

Rick Renteria? Sure, whatever, not sure it is some super upgrade over Sveum - but maybe he can figure out how to use a pen.

I am not sure the Cubs or Theo in particular have any idea what they need to be doing. If you can't get Gerrardi, why fire Sveum in the first place? You have to know that you are going to suck again next year looking up to Reds, Pirates, & Cards. Why not bring back Dusty Baker? All that guy has done is win everywhere he has been.

I am not sure the Cubs or Theo in particular have any idea what they need to be doing. If you can't get Gerrardi, why fire Sveum in the first place? You have to know that you are going to suck again next year looking up to Reds, Pirates, & Cards. Why not bring back Dusty Baker? All that guy has done is win everywhere he has been.

Eh, Baker bombed out the last couple of years in Chicago, don't really want him back.

I think the biggest issue with Sveum is that Starwin and Rizzo were regressing and that was his biggest issue - the fact that he didn't win or his inability to actually manage a game were likely secondary. Renteria is a solid hitting coach - he is almost 100% being brought it to improve the two franchise players and groom/grow the young dudes coming up.

Back