• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

Cards rumored to be looking at Starlin too. Rosenthal saying Cubs are possibly looking at a Starlin/Shark package deal - mentioned Dbacks as partners.

I guess that is another option besides moving Baez from short.

DBacks giving up on Gregorius already? That didn't take long.

DBacks giving up on Gregorius already? That didn't take long.

The Cubs seem really set on letting Baez come up at short - another rumor floating that the Mariners are looking at Castro too - Cubs are looking for potential front-line SPs and stop-gap fillers in the middle.

Ok, sure.

tulojose.gif

This one is my favorite.

Oh man, I forgot about that one. Jose Fernandez is the best.

Phillies sign Marlon Byrd to a two year deal. Can't believe I didn't see that coming.

Epstein is making comments about not spending in FA, but pursuing trades more heavily this year - people speculating that means they are not going after Choo or Ellsbury, but looking for shorter contracts with guys like Granderson or even Stubbs.

He also all but basically said he isn't trading any big time prospects and likely aren't even going to try in the Tanaka sweepstakes.

Phillies sign Marlon Byrd to a two year deal. Can't believe I didn't see that coming.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 9m
Phillies signed Marlon Byrd after balking at cost of Nelson Cruz. His initial ask: 5 years, $75M. Price has gone down since, sources said.

I would prefer 2 years of Byrd to 5 years of Cruz.

Edited to add - 2 years $16 million is number thrown around.

are they really putting marlon byrd in CF with ruf and brown? jesus, that's a horrible defensive OF.

are they really putting marlon byrd in CF with ruf and brown? jesus, that's a horrible defensive OF.

I'm guessing there is no more Ruf starting, but he will be relegated to a 4th OF. I also forgot about Revere.

signing byrd at 2/$18 in this climate really isn't that bad. he's probably not a 4 win player like he was last year, but he probably isnt below replacement like he was the year before. if we're assuming a win costs like $7 mill in the past youre expecting 2 wins out of him. i'd bet youll get that.

I don’t think I mind the signing, but I wonder what it means for the rest of the off season. If the Phillies are actually convinced that they can be competitive, and if RAJ fears for his job, they’re going to look to make some sort of splash. And now it seems that splash won’t come in the outfield, unless they decide to trade Dom. And it's not coming in the infield. (Still scared of McCann, though.)

We’re totally getting Tanaka.

Hopefully Ruf platoons with Howard at first. It'll be hard to admit that your $25 million 1st basemen is a platoon player, though.

Rumors that the Cubs have offered Jeff Samardzjia for Anthony Rendon. The Nats are more focused on Price.

rendon seems like way too much for samardzja. i would love, love, love to get rendon in a deal for price. maybe something built around he and lucas giolito? i'd love to see the rays get their hands on both of those guys.

Rumors that the Cubs have offered Jeff Samardzjia for Anthony Rendon. The Nats are more focused on Price.

I'd be good with that - shore up second base and give us utility to play across the infield until Olt, Bryant, Baez, Castro, Alcantara, Barney, Villanueava figures itself out.

Clearly Cubs have no desire to pay Shark the money he is looking for.

Hopefully Ruf platoons with Howard at first. It'll be hard to admit that your $25 million 1st basemen is a platoon player, though.

I could see Howard getting a lot of "rest" days against lefty starters. I doubt they'll go full platoon though. They wouldn't even platoon Delmon Young. (RAJ will not have his managers make a mockery of him. He'd much rather have the players do that.)

Back