• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

rendon seems like way too much for samardzja. i would love, love, love to get rendon in a deal for price. maybe something built around he and lucas giolito? i'd love to see the rays get their hands on both of those guys.

Is Rendon expected to stay at 2nd?

ETA: I thought, due to injury concerns, he'd move to 3rd and Zimmerman to 1st at some point.

Is Rendon expected to stay at 2nd?

ETA: I thought, due to injury concerns, he'd move to 3rd and Zimmerman to 1st at some point.

in this trade scenario? i'd expect him to start in the minors and take over the sean rodriguez/ben zobrist super sub role.

Shot down by Marlins GM, but there was some chatter (noted on MLBTR) that the Marlins could be a "mystery team" in on Cano. I'd be for it, especially if we could make a few trades to upgrade a few positions. Could trade some combo of Alvarez/Morrison/Cishek and get a good return, perhaps Trumbo and change. Then add Cano to Stanton, Moran might be able to make the show in 2014, and our top prospect, LHP Heaney, with Eovalid/Turner/Fernandez already in the rotation. Not saying we'd make the playoffs in 2014, but a really solid foundation to start making noise in 2015. Not that any of this will actually come to pass.

Though right now I'm not sure which is more hopeless, being a Marlins fan or a Wake Forest fan...

absolutely wake forest. at least you have bright spots like fernandez and stanton. there is absolutely nothing going for wf sports right now.

Wake has some hope in that Grobe will retire (eventually) and Buzz can't survive much longer. The Marlins' owner has said things to the effect of "I'm going to own this team until I die." Wake can still get lucky with some solid recruits, but the Marlins can't "get lucky" if the team won't invest money into payroll. Even with Fernandez and Stanton, you're just waiting for the headline "Marlins trade superstar for can of corn." I've seen it happen for 10+ years.

Though I'd love to be wrong and see us make a trade or sign a FA that makes it seem like we're trying to win.

The Marlins have won 2 titles in the last 20 years.

I know, and am thankful for that. I Maybe it's that I'm a bigger baseball fan than football/basketball.

Though it seems that every baseball team can have a realistic goal of winning the Series; most schools can't ever seriously consider themselves as contenders for a championship.

sent from my Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

That would be kind of amazing if the Marlins signed Cano. Probably need to include a no trade clause, though.

That would be kind of amazing if the Marlins signed Cano. Probably need to include a no trade clause, though.

And rumor is that Loria still insists on no no-trade clauses.

sent from my Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Rick Renteria going out on a limb and looks like he is going to hire Bill Mueller as hitting coach - Mueller has never been a hitting coach, he was a special assistant and scout for the Dodgers. He also hit .320 one year, so that's like .100 points better than Rob Deers career average, he has to be slightly better, right?

Yo DaDeacs what do we think about this Renteria cat? I obviously know nothing about him.

Yo DaDeacs what do we think about this Renteria cat? I obviously know nothing about him.

He is being brought in almost specifically to help train and develop young hitters - Castro and Rizzo now, and to make a good environment for when the little cubbies start coming up.

He has a relationship with Hoyer from the Pads, so hopefully they already have an idea of what kind of locker room he will keep. All the past Pad hitters have been raving about him.

My feeling is, it can't be any worse than Sveum.

Is someone really gonna give Scotty K a multi-year offer? That seems krazy.

Also, Cashman said the yanks are looking to add 400 innings. Yikes.

Rumors of Jose Bautista for Domonic Brown is all over the place. It would definitely be an Amaro move - may not actually be the worst deal with Bautsita owed 3/$42 - but still not sure that makes them contenders.

Rumors of Jose Bautista for Domonic Brown is all over the place. It would definitely be an Amaro move - may not actually be the worst deal with Bautsita owed 3/$42 - but still not sure that makes them contenders.

The rumors were started by Howard Eskin, who is better known for making stuff up to stir the pot than for actually knowing anything.

Not that it would surprise me if Amaro were trying to trade away his only decent young, inexpensive player.

Also, Eskin reported that the Phillies like Bautista because he can play 3rd.

Wieters has failed to hit as projected. Think the O's fear that he will bust out as soon as he is traded.

Back