• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wilkesboro Eats

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
OK foothills folks. What is good to eat up here? Sixth and Main is getting some good reviews on UrbanSpoon. Any other non chain places to eat? I get a per diem, so $$ isn't necessarily a concern.

I wouldn't worry took much about blowing your expense account in Wilkesboro.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Well, it is a volunteer firefighter per diem, so its not bottomless, but still more than I'd typically spend.

I am a Caldwell county native so close by. Sixth and Main is good. Also, don't tell people they aren't in the mountains.

Funny story. I am from Lenoir. My wife is from S. Texas. When her dad was choosing places to residency he was down to S. Texas and Wilkesboro (about 30 minutes from where I am originally from). Her mom was pregnant with her sister and didn't know it yet, so they thought she was getting car sick but it was morning sickness. They go to Texas and we meet in Switzerland 27 years later while she is studying at UT. Its funny to me to think she was that close from being 30 minutes from me, but that if they had lived there I probably would have never known her.

Last edited:
Oh and for BBQ check out Pa-Paw's. Never been, but I have heard of it, which means its probably be best in town.

wilkesboro smells like chicken shit. drive 45 minutes either way (Boone/Winston) and eat something that isnt scraped off the highway...

Wilkesboro sucks as a whole, but there's a tiny little place called La Fortuna in between the two towns which is probably the best Mexican food I've ever had. Relatively authentic and fresh and not drowned with the cheese sauce like the vast majority of Americanized tex-mex places. There's a soul food place there called Dean's Southern Bistro as well that has amazing collards and sides, and pretty good fried chicken, fish, and meatloaf. I'd shoot for one of those two.

Pa-Paw's is legit. Some of the best barbeque I've ever had. I'm from Ashe County and we used to go to Wilkes all the time. There were some good seafood places for a while but I think they closed down. Pretty much just chain places now. Heard good things about Sixth and Main too.

It's been close to 15 years but if any of these places are still around:

Teds kickin chicken on 115.
Sunny Italy On the way to Elkin and the son had a place on main that was Italian
Wilkes dinner on 10th nothing great, but your typical small southern town catchall for food.
Captains table on the way to millers creek

But check out boone as wel

It's been 12 years for me but I second Teds kickin chicken and Sunny Italy.

Due to riding with someone else, we went to Tifton's BBQ. I was not impressed. Went to Sixth and Main for dinner, and it was quite good. The lobster Mac and Cheese was splendid, as was the pork ribeye.

Due to riding with someone else, we went to Tifton's BBQ. I was not impressed. Went to Sixth and Main for dinner, and it was quite good. The lobster Mac and Cheese was splendid, as was the pork ribeye.

It's Tiptons not Tifton's BBQ & I concur not worth the time. Try Brushy Mt. BBQ. Their daily lunch & dinner is OK but portions are small. The Sunday buffet is good. All the Cue and ribs you can partake. Cooked on wood coals. Have their own creamery and make some of the best ice cream in NC...

It's been close to 15 years but if any of these places are still around:

Teds kickin chicken on 115.
Sunny Italy On the way to Elkin and the son had a place on main that was Italian
Wilkes dinner on 10th nothing great, but your typical small southern town catchall for food.
Captains table on the way to millers creek

But check out boone as wel

The Captains Table actually burned to the ground several years back.

Sunny Italy was dank but has been closed since Mama Roseli died a few years back. Such blasphemy. That place was delicious.

Back