• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boehner shows cowardice &House Republicans show hate & bigotry again

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
The Senate is about to pass ENDA in a bipartisan manner to make it illegal to discriminate in the workplace against gays, lesbians and transgendered people.

Once again John Boehner shows his cowardice and willingness to do anything to keep his Speakership by refusing to allow a vote on this.

Once again House Republicans are pounding their chest and supporting each other's bigotry and hatred.

They are despicable.

this is the most rj thread title of all time

Yes, one named John who won't even pronounce his name properly.

That was friggin' funny!

In RJ's defense, however, he is spot on here. The thread title is perfect in my view.

Passed the Senate with 64 votes (all 52 Dems, 2 Independents, and 10 'Pubs). Social conservatives lost on prayer in school, abortion, don't ask don't tell, and will eventually lose on marriage equality. 15 states allow same-sex marriage now with Hawaii and New Mexico expected to approve within the next two months. 13 states can block ratification of an amendment. House GOP won't cede any ground even though most people see full gays rights as inevitable.

Who people hire or fire should be for them to determine. We don't belong to the state.

Who people hire or fire should be for them to determine. We don't belong to the state.

This is wrong. People should be hired and fired because of how good an employee they are. Not what they do in their bedroom.

I always wondered how this works. So if this eventually passes, an employer can't say yeah we're not hiring you because you're gay. Ok, got it.

Now what stops an employer from just saying an applicant isn't qualified or they're going with someone else? How exactly do you prove you weren't hired because of your sexual orientation without any smoking guns? Are courts going to line up the credentials of applicants and tell a company they should have hired person A?

Also, this quote bothers me, even though I support this bill. You have to respect the process.

“One party in one house of Congress should not stand in the way of millions of Americans who want to go to work each day and simply be judged by the job they do,” Mr. Obama said.

20, in several states it is perfectly legal to fire someone just because they are gay. But I guess those laws are OK with you.

Let's say that you believe that being gay is a choice. There's no question being a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist or an atheist is a choice.

You can't be denied a job or fired because your choice of faith. Why should your faith be protected but not your sexual orientation?

If being gay isn't a choice, then it's exactly like being fired or denied a job because of your race.

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm betting RaleighDevil= White, middle class, Christian, hetero, suburban male.

I just said I supported the bill?

My bad, I just got up and the tone of your post is what's wrong with the law.

I can't see anything in that quote that would bother anyone other House Republicans and those who want to deny gays, lesbians and transgendered people the same rights as straight people have in our country. The quote is a simple declaration of wanting equality for all.

Last edited:
Let's say that you believe that being gay is a choice. There's no question being a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist or an atheist is a choice.

You can't be denied a job or fired because your choice of faith. Why should your faith be protected but not your sexual orientation?

If being gay isn't a choice, then it's exactly like being fired or denied a job because of your race.

As I understand it, religious institutions are exempt from this no faith discrimination, correct? As in, a Christian couldn't sue a mosque for not getting a job based on their faith, and vice versa.

1) Is that correct?
2) Would the same exemption for religious institutions apply here?

Now what stops an employer from just saying an applicant isn't qualified or they're going with someone else? How exactly do you prove you weren't hired because of your sexual orientation without any smoking guns? Are courts going to line up the credentials of applicants and tell a company they should have hired person A?

The same thing as happens now when you think you were discriminated against because of gender, age, race, handicap.

Do you also blame people for being unemployed? If so, how do you square those beliefs?

As I understand it, religious institutions are exempt from this no faith discrimination, correct? As in, a Christian couldn't sue a mosque for not getting a job based on their faith, and vice versa.

1) Is that correct?
2) Would the same exemption for religious institutions apply here?

Yes that is correct, and the same exemption applies here.

Back