• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Braves Stadium

Since when do the Braves sell out?

The new stadium will have 7,500 fewer seats, so sellouts are a decent possibility. Of course, people won't be able to get there till the fourth inning due to traffic.

The new stadium will have 7,500 fewer seats, so sellouts are a decent possibility. Of course, people won't be able to get there till the fourth inning due to traffic.

Except the stadium is now 7-10 miles closer to your house now. Traffic will suck but its not gonna be any different than it is now.

Also speaking of selling out stadiums, Biff is right. Currently Turner Field is too big and this new stadium will offer a true fan experience, where there are shops and restaurants to go to and the feeling that you don't have to rush from the car to the stadium./realtalk

Except you have an option to take MARTA (even though it's a pain) to Turner Field. Not so much for Cobb "We Don't Want Those People Who Ride MARTA" County.

The MARTA to the Braves game experience is horrid. Might as well drive.

My boss drives from Kennesaw to Buckhead every day for work. She says she may consider getting a cot for the office on nights when the Braves are in town.

Except the stadium is now 7-10 miles closer to your house now. Traffic will suck but its not gonna be any different than it is now.

Also speaking of selling out stadiums, Biff is right. Currently Turner Field is too big and this new stadium will offer a true fan experience, where there are shops and restaurants to go to and the feeling that you don't have to rush from the car to the stadium./realtalk

True fan experience at a glorified mall?

I like this line from the FAQ about traffic - http://homeofthebraves.com/faq/#prettyPhoto

Lastly, the mixed-use development will change many of our fans’ game day behaviors, encouraging them to arrive early and stay late, allowing for traffic to be dispersed across a greater period of time.

Sorry, weeknight games do not lend themselves to arriving early or staying late. And weeknight games are the ones where traffic is going to be the worst.

I like this line from the FAQ about traffic - http://homeofthebraves.com/faq/#prettyPhoto

Lastly, the mixed-use development will change many of our fans’ game day behaviors, encouraging them to arrive early and stay late, allowing for traffic to be dispersed across a greater period of time.

Sorry, weeknight games do not lend themselves to arriving early or staying late. And weeknight games are the ones where traffic is going to be the worst.

I like this one, too:

...with the potential to utilize existing lots nearby which will add thousands of additional spaces within walking distance.

Right, because the parking lots for cumberland mall and the surrounding office buildings will just be sitting empty on weekday afternoons/evenings.

yeah-right-gif.gif

True fan experience at a glorified mall?

Every team wants a Wrigleyville - nevermind that Wrigleyville evolved organically in a residential neighborhood that was a dump for eighty years.

For the most part, Wrigleyville is still a dump.

But then again, I lived in Boston for a few years and thought they should tear down Fenway. So maybe I just don't see the charm in old, uncomfortable stadiums in worn out parts of a city.

Either would still be worlds better than what the Atlanta Braves have right now, though.

I think you'll be ok, I bet at most you pay $10 extra. That's just one less beer.

Falcons new stadium is gonna be incredible, first game to be played there is a soccer match, they want to break the American record for attendance of a soccer match.

Forgive me for not reviewing the prior 9 pages of this thread to see if this was addressed, but why exactly did the Braves think the city of Atl should or would pony up tax money again for a new single use stadium? And what was wrong with Turner Field, other than the neighborhood in which it was chosen to be built?

I dont think they thought ATL would match Cobbs offer, they were using Cobb as leverage to get upgrades to Turner.

The main problem with Turner is awful neigborhood with no walkable restos or hotels combined with no MARTA.

There's been a long history of the city of Atlanta making promises to Turner Field then not backing them up.

The lack of MARTA was a colossal fuckup but apparently they thought the parking revenue would trump. Stuff was attempted to try and improve the area around the stadium but its essentially the heart of darkness there and its only getting worse.

For the most part, Wrigleyville is still a dump.

But then again, I lived in Boston for a few years and thought they should tear down Fenway. So maybe I just don't see the charm in old, uncomfortable stadiums in worn out parts of a city.

Either would still be worlds better than what the Atlanta Braves have right now, though.

Either you haven't been to Wrigleyville in the last decade plus or you don't know what actually qualifies as Wrigleyville, because nothing you said about the neighborhood is accurate.

Last edited:
Forgive me for not reviewing the prior 9 pages of this thread to see if this was addressed, but why exactly did the Braves think the city of Atl should or would pony up tax money again for a new single use stadium? And what was wrong with Turner Field, other than the neighborhood in which it was chosen to be built?

Because (1) everyone likes free stuff; and (2) there were people willing to give them free stuff.

With a new stadium in a more accessible part of town, the Braves should see a significant increase in revenues, both from increased attendance and from renting out space in the open-air mall they’re building by the stadium. And the taxpayers are going to cover half the bill. Pretty big win for team ownership.

When they move, do they become the Cobb County Braves or, in the style of the Angels', the Atlanta Braves of Cobb County?

Back