• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Braves Stadium

Don't need MARTA when you're closer to your house and you feel safe walking in from a parking lot cha cha

Good luck getting to the parking lot. I don't understand why it's a good move to build a stadium with worse access to public transportation in a city plagued by horrible traffic. And you can say whatever you want, I think it's total bullshit.

Either you haven't been to Wrigleyville in the last decade plus or you don't know what actually qualifies as Wrigleyville, because nothing you said about the neighborhood is accurate.

I was there each of the last 2 summers. The stadium itself is a dump. Yes, there are a number of good bars/restaurants immediately around there... But I was disappointed. Doesn't help that the team sucks. Tough to create atmosphere when the team is so bad that you can buy seats outside for $5 right before the first pitch.

Because (1) everyone likes free stuff; and (2) there were people willing to give them free stuff.

With a new stadium in a more accessible part of town, the Braves should see a significant increase in revenues, both from increased attendance and from renting out space in the open-air mall they’re building by the stadium. And the taxpayers are going to cover half the bill. Pretty big win for team ownership.

[ITP SNOB] That's debatable. It's certainly closer to a lot of ticket buyers, but I'm not so sure about more accessible. [/ITP SNOB]

Good luck getting to the parking lot. I don't understand why it's a good move to build a stadium with worse access to public transportation in a city plagued by horrible traffic. And you can say whatever you want, I think it's total bullshit.

Amen.

Yeah, definitely not a more accessible part of town. More accessible to the NW Cracker Corridor(who apparently make up a lot of the ticket buying fanbase), that's about it. Its certainly not more accessible to all of the big ATL corporations (except Home Depot) who buy most of the suites and have their offices in downtown and midtown.

I work in the area where the new stadium is scheduled and other than maybe Cobb Parkway, the other surface streets and Interstate Exit ramps on 75 and 285 are nowhere near ready for that kind of traffic.

Cant blame them for moving though, it made $$ sense for them.

I'll defer to you all on the accessibility. If they air lifted Turner Field and dropped it in the new location, do you think attendance would increase? Or is this mostly about getting a pretty new park?

I was there each of the last 2 summers. The stadium itself is a dump. Yes, there are a number of good bars/restaurants immediately around there... But I was disappointed. Doesn't help that the team sucks. Tough to create atmosphere when the team is so bad that you can buy seats outside for $5 right before the first pitch.

You're missing my point - any team that wins and wins consistently can create an atmosphere surrounding their stadium when they're playing (except the Braves, apparently) - teams want a Wrigleyville because its a neighborhood where people want to live and spend their money the other 280 days of the year as well.

I'll defer to you all on the accessibility. If they air lifted Turner Field and dropped it in the new location, do you think attendance would increase? Or is this mostly about getting a pretty new park?

It's the new park and the fact the Braves can profit from participating in the development around the new stadium. They couldn't do that at Turner Field.

The Cubs have sucked forever. It's a great atmosphere in a cool part of town. Short on premium seating and fancy concessions, a la new Yankee Stadium, but a great classic baseball fan experience.

Word

It's not the fact that there aren't any cool bars, restaurants or neighborhoods around Turner Field. The problem is that there are NO bars, restaurants, or neighborhoods around Turner Field. The entire area is an urban desert. And the only mass transit to the stadium is a fucking bus.

The Braves should leave as soon as they can.

You're missing my point - any team that wins and wins consistently can create an atmosphere surrounding their stadium when they're playing (except the Braves, apparently) - teams want a Wrigleyville because its a neighborhood where people want to live and spend their money the other 280 days of the year as well.

Fine. Not disagreeing with you. You like it. I didn't. That's all I'm saying. I'm a huge baseball fan and had big expectations... it was just meh for me.

FWIW, I am not a Braves fan. I just moved to Atlanta about a year ago. But I do enjoy attending baseball games, regardless of who is playing.

Turner Field is too large. Braves need a smaller stadium that will fit the fanbase's needs. Baseball has become very successful modeling what was created w/ Wrigleyville, something to do outside the stadium as well as inside.

Braves games are social events in Atlanta for most of the year. They've just moved the stadium 14 miles closer to the vast majority of their fanbase. There are several years to prepare for transportation issues and there's room for expansion. At Turner, they were trapped by an already existent major city and an impotent public transportation system.

In hindsight, there should have been a MARTA rail line that took commuters from the center of the city to Turner then to the Zoo/Grant Park, but in hindsight building a freakin highway through a major city is also dumb.

As a Braves fan in DC, the Nats stadium is awesome. Great size, good food, great location and the area around the stadium is improving quickly.

Sounds like the Braves are a getting a few of those things right, but it would have been better if they'd been able to carve out some of the new development space near Lindbergh or something. But assuming they can't do that, Marta really isn't that great and people in Atlanta drive everywhere anyway. I don't know that sticking the stadium near the Chamblee or Dunwoody stops would make that much of a difference. You can't really solve the problem with mass rail transit in a city that doesn't use its mass rail transit all that much. Especially up north.

Maybe they can come up with a dedicated lane bus system and enough remote parking areas to make it work. They'll have to figure out a way to avoid a stadium's worth of people piling onto 285.

As a Braves fan in DC, the Nats stadium is awesome. Great size, good food, great location and the area around the stadium is improving quickly.

The area around Nats stadium will get even better if they can get the new stadium built for DC United.

Fixed that huh

Obviously they didn't fix it. That's exactly my point. No mass transit to the current stadium. No mass transit to the new stadium. It's a wash.

You deleted the rest of my post when you quoted me. Current location a shit pit. New location a desirable area. Braves should get the fuck out of downtown as soon as they can.

Last edited:

Buffalo Bills of baseball. The Ted never saw a World Series title.

Back