• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Braves Stadium

Obviously they didn't fix it. That's exactly my point. No mass transit to the current stadium. No mass transit to the new stadium. It's a wash.

You deleted the rest of my post when you quoted me. Current location a shit pit. New location a desirable area. Braves should get the fuck out of downtown as soon as they can.

Good lord. There was still MARTA that could be taken most of the way to the stadium that lots of people still used. While it was a pain in the butt, you could still do it. Now you have no options. If you live up 400 or 85 or worked downtown or midtown or Buckhead, you could have taken MARTA. Now you 100% must take your car.

Obviously they didn't fix it. That's exactly my point. No mass transit to the current stadium. No mass transit to the new stadium. It's a wash.

You deleted the rest of my post when you quoted me. Current location a shit pit. New location a desirable area. Braves should get the fuck out of downtown as soon as they can.

I did, I'll give you better area (potentially -- assuming stuff gets built), but using the lack of public transportation as an argument as to why they should move is moot because where they moved has a lack of public transportation

I did, I'll give you better area (potentially -- assuming stuff gets built), but using the lack of public transportation as an argument as to why they should move is moot because where they moved has a lack of public transportation

I'm not using lack of transportation as a reason they should leave. I'm the refuting the criticism of the move on the part of some here based on a lack of transportation. Both sites lack public transportation options. It makes no difference.

And the new site is in a better location regardless of whether things get built.

Buffalo Bills of baseball. The Ted never saw a World Series title.

Except for the fact that the Braves won a World Series title in 1995 (a year before the Ted opened). If they were truly the Buffalo Bills of baseball then they would have ZERO World Series titles during their run in the '90s.

I'm not using lack of transportation as a reason they should leave. I'm the refuting the criticism of the move on the part of some here based on a lack of transportation. Both sites lack public transportation options. It makes no difference.

And the new site is in a better location regardless of whether things get built.

Good lord. There was still MARTA that could be taken most of the way to the stadium that lots of people still used. While it was a pain in the butt, you could still do it. Now you have no options. If you live up 400 or 85 or worked downtown or midtown or Buckhead, you could have taken MARTA. Now you 100% must take your car.

DeacKillsaDevil already did a pretty good job of explaining why the criticism based on lack of public transportation is valid.

No one took Marta.

Car > Car + Train + Bus

Getting to the Ted using MARTA is a pain. I would trade the new location for lack of a three part trip including MARTA in a heart beat.

No one said it wasn't a pain. It was, however, an option. And for a fair number of people (myself included), there is no need to drive to a MARTA station. There is one right next to my office and one about a 7 minute walk from my house. More often than not, I drive to Turner Field (because it usually only takes about 15 minutes and I don't get on the interstate), but having MARTA as an option when everyone wants to drink more than prudent to drive or big games when traffic is going to be a nightmare is definitely a plus. Would it be better if the train went directly to the stadium? Of course. But it's a lot better than nothing, which is what there is in Cobb County.

No one said it wasn't a pain. It was, however, an option. And for a fair number of people (myself included), there is no need to drive to a MARTA station. There is one right next to my office and one about a 7 minute walk from my house. More often than not, I drive to Turner Field (because it usually only takes about 15 minutes and I don't get on the interstate), but having MARTA as an option when everyone wants to drink more than prudent to drive or big games when traffic is going to be a nightmare is definitely a plus. Would it be better if the train went directly to the stadium? Of course. But it's a lot better than nothing, which is what there is in Cobb County.

Oh, well if you're going to throw drinking into the equation...

Building a stadium with no access to public transportation is incredibly backward looking. The new Braves stadium has all of the hubris of white flight and climate change denialism in one complete package tied up with a pretty bow.

Building a stadium with no access to public transportation is incredibly backward looking. The new Braves stadium has all of the hubris of white flight and climate change denialism in one complete package tied up with a pretty bow.

This is true but it gives the Braves and their 200 fans a new place to celebrate all those World Championships.

Atlanta is not NY or Chicago. If the Braves only considered locations served by MARTA rail, their options would be extremely limited.

As well they should be. And options in NY and Chicago are even fewer.

Or they actually just invest in Marta that goes northwest right outside of the perimeter. The end of the line could be the Braves stadium if they wanted. But the Cobb County folks would be hiding their kids and hiding their wives if that happened.

Or they actually just invest in Marta that goes northwest right outside of the perimeter. The end of the line could be the Braves stadium if they wanted. But the Cobb County folks would be hiding their kids and hiding their wives if that happened.

I agree, that would be best. I'd love to have a ballpark here served by a MARTA station. Several years back, MARTA expanded up 400 into Fulton County. We hardly ever hide our kids anymore.

yeah any proponent of smart growth will tell you how incredibly stupid this all is. although many proponents of smart growth (here in DC at least) don't like the idea of stadiums in the downtown area because they are limited-use facilities taking up valuable real estate. but regardless, any new stadium in a city that has rail transit should be accessible by said transit.

I agree, that would be best. I'd love to have a ballpark here served by a MARTA station. Several years back, MARTA expanded up 400 into Fulton County. We hardly ever hide our kids anymore.

by several you mean like 15...and are there any concrete plans in the works for further expansion?

yeah any proponent of smart growth will tell you how incredibly stupid this all is. although many proponents of smart growth (here in DC at least) don't like the idea of stadiums in the downtown area because they are limited-use facilities taking up valuable real estate. but regardless, any new stadium in a city that has rail transit should be accessible by said transit.

And it's also an indictment of how poorly Atlanta and the surrounding counties used the federal money given to them for the building of a heavy rail line. Billions of dollars (a hundred billion?) have been spent on something that doesn't even work but for a small percentage of the population.

Back