• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Braves Stadium

Just found this nugget on Wikipedia.

The Braves played the World Series (as well as the last few games of the 1914 season) at Fenway Park, since their normal home, the South End Grounds, was too small. However, the Braves' success inspired owner Gaffney to build a modern park, Braves Field, which opened in August 1915. It was the largest park in the majors at the time, with 40,000 seats and a very spacious outfield. The park was novel for its time; public transportation brought fans right to the park.

100 years later: FUCK PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION!

You can blame the Civil War for a lot of the historical impediments to Atlanta having a well-developed urban mass transit system. Or you can blame the War for States' Rights and blame the darkies. Whichever.

The whites only crowd in Cobb County is so goddamn shortsighted it's ridiculous

North Fulton too. MARTA should be way more expansive in that sprawl than it is.

Atlanta is not a walkable city and MARTA is very limited in terms of where it stops. Even if it expanded northward and north-west, people still wouldn't ride it because they'd have to get on a bus to get to their work.

Atlanta is not a walkable city and MARTA is very limited in terms of where it stops. Even if it expanded northward and north-west, people still wouldn't ride it because they'd have to get on a bus to get to their work.

Which is exactly why Atlanta is a city in decline. You can herald or bemoan those points, but unless city and regional leaders do something to fix it, the whole metro area is doomed.

which is why they royally fucked up years ago when building it.

plenty of people do it in DC with the different lines in the burbs.

Which is exactly why Atlanta is a city in decline. You can herald or bemoan those points, but unless city and regional leaders do something to fix it, the whole metro area is doomed.

Its un-fixable in the short term.

Its akin to an ice storm hitting the city during the middle of the work day. We're fucked.

Its un-fixable in the short term.

Its akin to an ice storm hitting the city during the middle of the work day. We're fucked.

Short-term? Hell, the city's been hurtling towards this destiny for the past 50 years. And the current group of Tea Party, no taxes, decentralize everything, free market, invisible hand dipshits who have taken over the republican party are only going to make things worse before they have any chance of getting better. They're putting the stadium at one of the most broken spots on I-285. Have fun with that.

Where should we build a new stadium? Oh I know, how about next to that exclamation point!

DwtxPT5.jpg

Atlanta is such a fucking disaster.

I live in Dallas, which is a huge metro-area, with massive sprawl, and minimal public transportation yet the traffic here is just vastly better than Atlanta's (I interned there a summer). I assume it comes down to having multiple loops (although LBJ, the Dallas equivalent of 285, is a disaster, although still probably not as bad as 285) and not merging three of the city's four biggest thoroughfares right before the CBD.

Short-term? Hell, the city's been hurtling towards this destiny for the past 50 years. And the current group of Tea Party, no taxes, decentralize everything, free market, invisible hand dipshits who have taken over the republican party are only going to make things worse before they have any chance of getting better. They're putting the stadium at one of the most broken spots on I-285. Have fun with that.

How exactly did the "invisible hand of free market" commerce cause the urban sprawl endemic to ATL? More like the result of poor city management, corrupt leadership etc. has led the free hand of commerce to take their shit elsewhere, meaning the suburbs.

But the multitude of problems plaguing ATL are varied and go well beyond selfish corporate ownership. I mean I can't really blame Liberty Media for making a decision that they *think* is going to benefit them -- and it probably will -- but as many here have bemoaned, the traffic there is no better than the "exclamation point" at the bottom of Biff's map. As it turns out, Arthur Blank's new stadium may have a bigger, positive impact than Ted Turner ever did. But that depends on a lot of different factors, the least of which isn't the horrible public transit system in ATL. I have no idea where the money will come from to expand it though. Folks here won't even vote for a 1% increase to improve their roads because there is so much public distrust of govt. And probably rightly so given this city's history.

ATL could really benefit from some type of corporate / govt cooperation where by tax breaks and incentives help breed more development downtown. But there is a lot of money to be made elsewhere and as long as all of the suburban towns like Sandy Springs, John's Creek, Dunwoody, Brookhaven etc. continue to incorporate to fill the void created by poor county management and corruption, ATL will continue along its path of being a sprawling suburbia with pockets of prosperity that are only connected by major arteries like 285 and 400. Luckily, the overall good still outweighs the bad, but the gap is shrinking.

In hindsight, there should have been a MARTA rail line that took commuters from the center of the city to Turner then to the Zoo/Grant Park, but in hindsight building a freakin highway through a major city is also dumb.

I'm not from here originally, but I'm assuming the city grew around the major transportation arteries, not the other way around. Does anyone who might have grown up here in the 60s/70s know if the decision to link 75 with 85 came after the city started to grow exponentially or was it something that existed since the 50's when the Eisenhower transportation plan built the modern interstate system into what it is now?

Those guys + inner city dems = city in decline

Building a perimeter highway virtually guarantees development around it, so yes, that's definitely what happened with I-285. But it really just helped hasten white flight from the city itself.

75/85 was always like that, it just got wider and wider and now it's one of the widest expanses of interstate highway in the world.

It also was built straight through black neighborhoods, breaking them up. Same is true of I-20.

Here's a decent story from a couple of years ago when everyone was doubling down on dumb and voting down T-SPLOST.

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/features/2012/08/01/marta-tsplost-transportation/page/1

At least the inner city dems got salt on the roads.

Atlanta's what, 20 miles?

The State of Georgia is much bigger.

DOT had salt trucks out in Middle GA, where the storm was supposed to hit until around 3-5am. Impossible to cover the proper parts of the STATE in that time.

Back