• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Braves Stadium

Tried to build a Northern Arc but the NIMBYs and environmentalists shot that sucker down.

There's really no simple answer to the traffic problem and no simple answer to where they should have put the stadium. Mistakes of the past keep holding down everyone.

How exactly did the "invisible hand of free market" commerce cause the urban sprawl endemic to ATL? More like the result of poor city management, corrupt leadership etc. has led the free hand of commerce to take their shit elsewhere, meaning the suburbs.

But the multitude of problems plaguing ATL are varied and go well beyond selfish corporate ownership. I mean I can't really blame Liberty Media for making a decision that they *think* is going to benefit them -- and it probably will -- but as many here have bemoaned, the traffic there is no better than the "exclamation point" at the bottom of Biff's map. As it turns out, Arthur Blank's new stadium may have a bigger, positive impact than Ted Turner ever did. But that depends on a lot of different factors, the least of which isn't the horrible public transit system in ATL. I have no idea where the money will come from to expand it though. Folks here won't even vote for a 1% increase to improve their roads because there is so much public distrust of govt. And probably rightly so given this city's history.

ATL could really benefit from some type of corporate / govt cooperation where by tax breaks and incentives help breed more development downtown. But there is a lot of money to be made elsewhere and as long as all of the suburban towns like Sandy Springs, John's Creek, Dunwoody, Brookhaven etc. continue to incorporate to fill the void created by poor county management and corruption, ATL will continue along its path of being a sprawling suburbia with pockets of prosperity that are only connected by major arteries like 285 and 400. Luckily, the overall good still outweighs the bad, but the gap is shrinking.

You're right about all of that, and it sounds simplistic, but I'm thoroughly convinced that racism in Metro Atlanta and a hatred of the big city in the General Assembly are the reasons that there is no coordination between the city and surrounding counties. There's hardly enough between the city and the rest of Fulton County.

White Flight in the sixties left the city an dangerous shell. But the city's inability to annex anything to protect its tax base and take advantage of its own growth have more or less doomed it as urban decay doesn't usually correct itself. Market forces helped cause urban sprawl. It's not unusual.

Atlanta's what, 20 miles?

The State of Georgia is much bigger.

DOT had salt trucks out in Middle GA, where the storm was supposed to hit until around 3-5am. Impossible to cover the proper parts of the STATE in that time.

Are you actually defending that shit show?

The city salted a fair portion of the downtown area. Motorists were able to drive on those streets, they just couldn't get on the interstate, which is controlled by the state. I'm not saying that everything in the city got salted though.

Are you actually defending that shit show?

Hell no, Charlie English is a dumbass redneck. Deal looked like a fool the first day and Kasim had to be the adult.

That being said, schools should have been closed. That was the mistake.

But there aren't the kind of resources to cover the area fast enough to prevent ice on the roads during a major ice storm in Georgia, particularly one that was going to hit the majority of the State.

Today its sunny and 90 degrees. If everyone decided to leave school and work at 1pm, we'd still have serious gridlock and people would have 4-6 hour commutes. The ice storm made it a complete catastrophe but no amount of salt trucks were gonna save us from that situation. Whoever thought, "Oh lets send kids to school" w/ a winter storm warning going on are the first people I blame. That includes the Gov, who should have told his people to personally call superintendents and strongly advise them to close.

Short-term? Hell, the city's been hurtling towards this destiny for the past 50 years. And the current group of Tea Party, no taxes, decentralize everything, free market, invisible hand dipshits who have taken over the republican party are only going to make things worse before they have any chance of getting better. They're putting the stadium at one of the most broken spots on I-285. Have fun with that.

The Tea Party is non-existent in the city of Atlanta. Hell, republicans are almost non-existent in the city of Atlanta. And the Tea Party in Cobb County has vocally opposed the new stadium.

You realize the richest part of the city is Buckhead and has a shit ton of old money right? To say there are no republicans or tea party members is false.

But a thriving airport, and a naturally entrepreneurial spirit of the people here, are key to what will make Atlanta a global hotspot in 2025 – nine places ahead of its 2012 ranking.

d73e27380cd02cd6bd0b70a0b3e595f6-parent-signature-seems-legit.jpg

the problem with atlanta is it's in georgia

Atlanta may be the least walkable city in the us. Everytime I go to any other "city" and I use that term loosely the ability to walk places is magnitudes greater than Atlanta. Hell I'm in asheville right now and have walked more places than I have in Atlanta all year. The placement of the stadium will never matter because it will be in Atlanta and everyone will need to drive to it no matter what.

The Tea Party is non-existent in the city of Atlanta. Hell, republicans are almost non-existent in the city of Atlanta. And the Tea Party in Cobb County has vocally opposed the new stadium.

How can anybody be against the TEA party? Taxed Enough Already. Enough said

I lumped in the tea party with a bunch of other ad hominems. And the tea party has pulled the rest of the republican part to the right. And I wasn't talking so much about the city of Atlanta so much as the population and leadership of the 10 counties in the Atlanta Regional Commision and the General Assembly who have no vision of an integrated infrastructure and view the CBD as bad news.

No, but you must be a supporter who thinks this administration has actually given us all the facts on Bengazi, the Affordable Care Act and countless other things.

Would you STFU. What does any of that have to do with the fucking Braves stadium?

No, but you must be a supporter who thinks this administration has actually given us all the facts on Bengazi, the Affordable Care Act and countless other things.

I *must* be all that because I can acknowledge the obvious decline and marginalization of the Tea Party? The "all or nothing/us vs them" mentality of people like you is really what's at the core of politics being a farce at best and scourge at worst.

It's destructed from within and been attacked from the outside by both the right and left. Knee jerk away, professor.

Take this shit to the Tunnels

Atlanta may be the least walkable city in the us. Everytime I go to any other "city" and I use that term loosely the ability to walk places is magnitudes greater than Atlanta. Hell I'm in asheville right now and have walked more places than I have in Atlanta all year. The placement of the stadium will never matter because it will be in Atlanta and everyone will need to drive to it no matter what.

Agreed, I said this earlier in the thread. Personally I love walking around Atlanta because of the difficulty, its good for my health but its not feasible to walk 2 miles in town outside of exercise purposes whereas in Chicago, we walked 5 miles w/out breaking a sweat.

The Beltline is a pretty cool feature to Midtown, I have a feeling that its growth will encourage more biking/walking around the city.

Agreed, I said this earlier in the thread. Personally I love walking around Atlanta because of the difficulty, its good for my health but its not feasible to walk 2 miles in town outside of exercise purposes whereas in Chicago, we walked 5 miles w/out breaking a sweat.

The Beltline is a pretty cool feature to Midtown, I have a feeling that its growth will encourage more biking/walking around the city.

The Beltline is awesome. Before, I never in a million years would have considered walking from my house to Parish, Fritti or any of the other restaurants in Inman Park. Now, we do it at least a few times a month. When Krog Street Market opens, it will be even better.

Back