• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Braves Stadium

@OldHossRadbourn: Once again, prominent plutocrats flee the city of Atlanta. How history repeats itself.

I live in North Fulton, almost into Forsyth County, and I'm not sure if this will be better or worse traffic wise. It will eliminate having to go through the downtown connector, but the top end perimeter is a nightmare during rush hour. The article states that they've "secured" the land. I wonder what that means.

Reports now that Cobb County will pay $450MM with the team paying $200MM.

This will never fucking fly with the OTPTP (Outside the Perimeter Tea Party) crowd. They were bitching about the Atlanta tourists paying half this much via hotel tax, except that they didnt have a say in that fight since it did had nothing to do with tax structure outside the city limits.

The annual budget for Cobb is only around $300-$350MM. The numbers just dont seem to get there without a large private investment.

gondeee ‏@gondeee 2h
Name idea for new Braves stadium: "White Flight Field"

I'm cool with reduced capacity but would love to see the exact same dimensions.

Cities competing for teams. Counties competing for teams. If the Marlins didn’t scare politicians away, nothing will stop us from using taxpayer money to buy new stadiums.

This should raise the value of the team. Any chance Liberty Media looks to sell in the next few years?

Also, they better have a hilariously ugly home run structure.

This was one of the bigger blindsided WTF moments I've had in sports lately. If we cut or simply maintain our payroll by funding at least 200 mil for an unnecessary new stadium to coincide with our horrid TV deal, I'm going to be beyond furious.

The Braves are one of the worst run teams in baseball. They currently are only 6 years into a TV contract for $20m per year. Division rival Philadelphia are looking at a new deal in the ballpark of $150m per year. Philly is the 4th biggest market, Atlanta is the 8th. Since they screwed themselves with the TV contract, they need increased revenue from the gate and parking. This stinks of a short sighted attempt at a quick fix. Bump up ticket prices and sell PSL's. Make some short term money until people realize that the traffic is worse in Cobb county, there is no public transportation to the stadium and that pan handlers and crime will follow the victims up 75 to the stadium.

My favorite part is the complaint that they are undeserved on parking when sold out by 5,000 spaces. The solution, build a new stadium with 10,000 fewer seats.

It looks like that there will be a Cobb Co. Commissioners meeting on November 26. Any NEW tax would have to go to the voters. However, RAISING existing taxes can be done solely via the commission without any voter referendum.

Once Cobb folks get a hold of this proposal they will go fugging bananas. Im telling you, the tea party is strong in white and red May-retta. With an annual budget of $300MM, they are going to have to hike the fuck out of something. If they financed the $450, over 10 years, that would still be over 10% of their annual budget over 10 years. The numbers just dont seem to work.

Very possible Shuerholtz gets egg on face for this nonsense.

I don't live there but it seems like the Braves are betting on even in a bad traffic area that doesn't have public transportation, it is still easier to get to the new location for the people who go to Braves games than the Ted.

Your statements about the Braves being one of the worst run teams in baseball are unfair, although their TV deal is well known and best case not helpful.

The more I read about this, the more I agree with TAB that this has a chance to blow up in the Braves faces. It seems they are certain that they will be able to get the 450 million from Cobb, but the team does not know where that money will come from....they are just trusting the County to come up with it, which seems pretty naive.

Yeah, this situation is getting weird

http://www.talkingchop.com/2013/11/11/5092284/braves-to-cobb-county-not-a-done-deal

10806149784_b7a6c70c90_o.png

Hard to respond because I am not sure what confused you. Atlanta fans dont come out to the ol' ballpark if the team is not in contention. I sat through many a ballgame in the 70's and 80's with consistently fewer than 10K in the stands. You could buy general admission, sit anywhere you wanted, and they were glad to have you. The division winners of recent memory still are not a tough ticket compared to many MLB locations and there are many empty seats during the week. The area around the stadium is not great, but season ticket holders tend to go for the games, not the "stadium experience" that those who only go a few times a year might desire. The point is, if the team does not win, Atlanta fans wont fill any stadium. The aforementioned Cubs fans are a pretty unique exception to that observation.

Part of the reason they might not be coming down to non-contender Braves teams is probably because they have to drive an hour in rush hour traffic from Cobb County to get there. If it is a 15 minute drive against traffic most of the way, it might make attending a game much more likely.

To be fair, the $450m figure from Cobb County has not been confirmed anywhere.

Part of the reason they might not be coming down to non-contender Braves teams is probably because they have to drive an hour in rush hour traffic from Cobb County to get there. If it is a 15 minute drive against traffic most of the way, it might make attending a game much more likely.

Um, rush hour traffic is leaving Atlanta in the afternoon. Cobb County --> Atlanta is not in rush hour traffic, it's against it. Now people going to Cobb County will be IN rush hour traffic going to a game.

Back