• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Braves Stadium

Which, shockingly, looks an awful lot like the racial map of Atlanta (blue: white, green: black)

atlanta.jpg

Did you mean to say "unshockingly?"

A buddy of mine and I drove down to Game 1 of the 1999 NLCS from Wake. It was a prime time game, but we left Winston-Salem that morning and got to the stadium several hours before the game. Parked our car, and there was nowhere to go, as there was nothing around the stadium. We ended up walking over like a bridge or something and wound up somewhere in downtown that was not a desirable area. That was 14 years ago, but it doesn't sound like it's really improved since then.

Hasn't really changed much at all. But it's easy to take a public piss without anyone troubling you with that inconvenient thing known as the law. In Boston, the subway smells like piss. Here in ATL, you can piss freely wherever you want and all you ever smell is the god awful stench from our rotting sewer system! Take the good with the bad?

It looks like that there will be a Cobb Co. Commissioners meeting on November 26. Any NEW tax would have to go to the voters. However, RAISING existing taxes can be done solely via the commission without any voter referendum.

Once Cobb folks get a hold of this proposal they will go fugging bananas. Im telling you, the tea party is strong in white and red May-retta. With an annual budget of $300MM, they are going to have to hike the fuck out of something. If they financed the $450, over 10 years, that would still be over 10% of their annual budget over 10 years. The numbers just dont seem to work.

Very possible Shuerholtz gets egg on face for this nonsense.

It would have to be from property taxes then right? Doesn't the citenzry have to vote on continuance of a SPLOST or an increase? Plus, I believe there is a state cap on the Sales Tax at 7% unless it's Atlanta / DeKalb, which has a Marta tax of 1%.

I agree with you, I don't see how this is going to fly. It will certainly piss off a lot of Cobb County residents if it is crammed down their throats against their political will.

lol.

No black people in our County!

Cobb people are truly unreal. The opposition to anything urban or connected to the city is soo strong. They love being surburban and dumb and will do anything to keep the status quo.

The ridiculous thing is that the Braves largest complaint is no public transportation. Extending the MARTA 1 stop for about 4 blocks would give them a station at the gates of the stadium. Extending MARTA to Cumberland from either Sandy Springs or Midtown would cost about 20x as much, if not more.

It would have to be from property taxes then right? Doesn't the citenzry have to vote on continuance of a SPLOST or an increase? Plus, I believe there is a state cap on the Sales Tax at 7% unless it's Atlanta / DeKalb, which has a Marta tax of 1%.

I agree with you, I don't see how this is going to fly. It will certainly piss off a lot of Cobb County residents if it is crammed down their throats against their political will.

According to the politics writer for the AJC, the commissioners can vote to increase either cobb only property or sales without taking it to the voters. It is certainly possible that the Braves have already bought off these guys with promises of sweetheart stakes in the new development, so that they will vote this thing through no matter how many rednecks line up in protest outside of the county commission. The only way I see it working is that the Braves have already greased the votes they need on the commission. Its certainly possible, doesnt matter, got paid, etc.

If it keeps the team out of Cobb, then yay tea party...

According to the politics writer for the AJC, the commissioners can vote to increase either cobb only property or sales without taking it to the voters. It is certainly possible that the Braves have already bought off these guys with promises of sweetheart stakes in the new development, so that they will vote this thing through no matter how many rednecks line up in protest outside of the county commission. The only way I see it working is that the Braves have already greased the votes they need on the commission. Its certainly possible, doesnt matter, got paid, etc.

Sigh. I'm afraid you're probably right about the greasing / promising of spoils. But I'm sorry, more than just rednecks should be concerned with this kind of Tom Foolery. Hence why we end up with so many problems in this city. People need to raise their give-a-fuck meter up a few notches.

This is allllllll about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Braves want more than 14k on a Wednesday night. By moving to Cobb, they'll get at least 22k. Book it.

When it comes to the public transit portion of this debate, its not so much the NIMBYs as it is who is going to take responsibility for running the damn thing once its built.

Braves want more than 14k on a Wednesday night. By moving to Cobb, they'll get at least 22k. Book it.

When it comes to the public transit portion of this debate, its not so much the NIMBYs as it is who is going to take responsibility for running the damn thing once its built.

You cant really book it if the Cobb Co. check will bounce like a pair of giant redneck titties at Wild Bills when it hits the bank.

You cant really book it if the Cobb Co. check will bounce like a pair of giant redneck titties at Wild Bills when it hits the bank.

Hee hee TRU.

They'll find the money though, they may be hicks but they're 1000x more capable than the Atlanta City Council.

The Braves have begged the City to do something to revitalize the area around Turner for years. Nothing's happened.

I saw folks get car jacked 2 seasons ago in broad daylight a stones throw from the stadium.

I live in Atlanta. Inside the Perimeter near Buckhead. I only go to Braves games on the weekend now because the weekday traffic is awful. Less than ten miles and would take me at least 45 minutes in mostly bumper to bumper traffic. And it is in an awful part of town.

And this is coming from a guy who used to live in Tampa and had season tickets for the Rays. 30 minute drive... Over 20 miles, but at least I was moving. Though that stadium situation is terrible, as well.

Kinda surprised many Braves folks are against this one. I grew up a Braves fan and am from Atlanta - I no longer live there but when Turner Field replaced the Launching Pad it was cool for a year but then it quickly became evident that it was too big, in a terrible location, had little personality and was awful to get to.

Braves have a great young team, a horrible TV contract and a bad stadium experience with awful attendance. This fixes one huge problem - it just comes as a shock since Turner field is relatively young. I thought we were locked into that place for another decade - but now they can build a smaller, cooler stadium in a nicer spot with much better night life around it... Traffic is gonna suck either way - seems like if they can make this happen it's a huge win for the franchise.

I'm a little scared they are "doing away" with the cheaper tickets. So no more $5 ticket to go grab ass in the Chophouse.

WOMP WOMP

Is this going to go as the braves offseason thread?

If so, braves minor league hitting coordinator is taking a mlb job with the reds as their hitting coach. We now have to replace MiLB hitting & pitching coordinators.

Cobb is the "Get Off My Lawn" nimby county of Atlanta

Kinda surprised many Braves folks are against this one. I grew up a Braves fan and am from Atlanta - I no longer live there but when Turner Field replaced the Launching Pad it was cool for a year but then it quickly became evident that it was too big, in a terrible location, had little personality and was awful to get to.

Braves have a great young team, a horrible TV contract and a bad stadium experience with awful attendance. This fixes one huge problem - it just comes as a shock since Turner field is relatively young. I thought we were locked into that place for another decade - but now they can build a smaller, cooler stadium in a nicer spot with much better night life around it... Traffic is gonna suck either way - seems like if they can make this happen it's a huge win for the franchise.

I'm not really against it. I just don't see it happening. It would be good for the Braves, bad for the city. We'll see if there is any fire behind the smoke once the Barves summon the Cobb Dwarf Council on the 26th to present their finance package.

I'm against it because downtown baseball is >>>>>>>> suburb baseball, as we've seen at a huge number of parks the last 20 years.

I'm also against it because it says some pretty horrible things about race relations and the general structure of the city of Atlanta and it's surrounding suburbs.

Turner Field might as well be in the burbs given it's shit location. Maybe they should put it in Atlantic Station, but this is still an improvement.

What do you think it says about race relations, out of curiosity? Seems like the black population in Atlanta spends money on the Falcons but not on the Braves, so why not go where the money is?

Back