• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Braves Stadium

Didn't see this posted yet:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/exclusive-documents-reveal-braves-wish-list-for-tu/nbsM3/

Not surprising to see the very, um, ahem demanding list of demands by the corporately owned Atlanta Braves. It's all about controlling just about every possible stream of revenue related to potential development in, near, around or because of the existence of the sports franchise. Nothing that leaves you thinking there's anything philanthropic as part of the corporate vision for the Braves future. Quite the contrast to Mr. Blank's efforts, despite the bad PR from buying out local churches.

What a knucklehead, no one complains the Jets and Giants play in Jersey.

Didn't he make a distinction between baseball and football? I have read so many article now they are blending together.

Didn't see this posted yet:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/exclusive-documents-reveal-braves-wish-list-for-tu/nbsM3/

Not surprising to see the very, um, ahem demanding list of demands by the corporately owned Atlanta Braves. It's all about controlling just about every possible stream of revenue related to potential development in, near, around or because of the existence of the sports franchise. Nothing that leaves you thinking there's anything philanthropic as part of the corporate vision for the Braves future. Quite the contrast to Mr. Blank's efforts, despite the bad PR from buying out local churches.

I think it is just as much an indication of the lack of the trust the Braves have for the City and the Fulton County Recreational Authority to do anything constructive going forward. According to one article I read, the Braves have spent over $100 million in capital improvements over the years. What has the City or the FCRA done to improve the area around the stadium, mass transit, parking. etc. since 1996? They built a fucking putt-putt course!

So over over $8.5MM is coming from ?????? unless I'm missing something. They are reallocating dollars, but I did not see mention of where that money is coming from.

Apparently it is a reallocation of existing property tax revenue, but not sure who is getting their share of the County budget reduced.

I think it is just as much an indication of the lack of the trust the Braves have for the City and the Fulton County Recreational Authority to do anything constructive going forward. According to one article I read, the Braves have spent over $100 million in capital improvements over the years. What has the City or the FCRA done to improve the area around the stadium, mass transit, parking. etc. since 1996? They built a fucking putt-putt course!

$100MM on cap improvements / investments? Got a link for the article? I'd be curious to read it. Are they including the original investment in the Ted? I don't know the exact timeline, but I find it doubtful that Liberty Media has plowed that kinda dough back into cap investment for the stadium and surrounding area.

Apparently it is a reallocation of existing property tax revenue, but not sure who is getting their share of the County budget reduced.

That's my point. $8.5MM is no small dent in their county budget one would assume.

$100MM on cap improvements / investments? Got a link for the article? I'd be curious to read it. Are they including the original investment in the Ted? I don't know the exact timeline, but I find it doubtful that Liberty Media has plowed that kinda dough back into cap investment for the stadium and surrounding area.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/(X(1)A(45CYfj4VzQEkAAAAMTI1MzNkMzEtZjkyNC00Yjg3LWFhNTYtMGRlZTc3ZTllY2Y0BX1qp3JJr-7Wm0Vpn8UgREE_O581))/news/georgia/article/334732/5/Atlanta-Braves-moving-to-Cobb-County-in-2017

I actually lowballed the number. The article says $125 million since 1997, so I don't think that amount includes any of the conversion costs. I'm pretty sure that ACOG paid for that. And that investment is on top of the rent money they are paying. I don't blame them for finding a better landlord. It pisses me off as a City of Atlanta resident, but it's typical of the incompetence and corruption at City Hall.

Yes, I think Avalon has posted a lot about this, maybe on the politics board.

Exactly, so I tend to assume that any and all studies of the potential economic benefit of a new stadium are bullshit.

There are always exceptions. The stadium in DC has been a huge success for the Nationals. The Bullpen, bars, restaurants, bunch of new condo buildings, etc. I don't have time to look up the numbers but I'd be shocked if it wasn't a huge success. It took a few years but that area used to be a total dump.

Have the taxpayers gotten their dollars worth from that success?

FWIW, one of the expert economists on stadium impacts is JC Bradbury, who also happens to be a Braves fan living in Cobb County. He was very critical of the case built by supporters of the stadium deal in Gwinnett County, but has been less so about the new Cobb County stadium, though granted it is still very early and there is still a lot of info TBD.

https://twitter.com/jc_bradbury

There are always exceptions. The stadium in DC has been a huge success for the Nationals. The Bullpen, bars, restaurants, bunch of new condo buildings, etc. I don't have time to look up the numbers but I'd be shocked if it wasn't a huge success. It took a few years but that area used to be a total dump.

It's a really complicated issue. You have to try to figure what the opportunity cost of all that money was, how much of it ends up just shifting dollars from other local establishments, and how much of it leaves the local economy because the owners of the establishments spend their money elsewhere.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/(X(1)A(45CYfj4VzQEkAAAAMTI1MzNkMzEtZjkyNC00Yjg3LWFhNTYtMGRlZTc3ZTllY2Y0BX1qp3JJr-7Wm0Vpn8UgREE_O581))/news/georgia/article/334732/5/Atlanta-Braves-moving-to-Cobb-County-in-2017

I actually lowballed the number. The article says $125 million since 1997, so I don't think that amount includes any of the conversion costs. I'm pretty sure that ACOG paid for that. And that investment is on top of the rent money they are paying. I don't blame them for finding a better landlord. It pisses me off as a City of Atlanta resident, but it's typical of the incompetence and corruption at City Hall.

Thanks for linking. Probably no way to verify that figure unless you are working for the accounting firm that does their financial audit. Not that I doubt they haven't invested considerable dollars in maintaining the property and investment, but how much of that is yearly operating budget for ongoing general maintenance versus extraordinary cost in the form of specific capital outlays that get depreciated as such? I'm sure the Cartoon City boards really set them back behind the outfield! ;)

I'm with you in the likely incompetence, short-sightedness and potential corruption of city officials (as history would indicate), but these sort of deals always seem like badly drawn deals when larger corporate entities are involved. When Teddy relinquished control to TW, it was never gonna be the same. Just like the Thrashers never had a chance with their shitty lease arrangement with Philips Arena after Ted dumped the team to cash out and ride off into the sunset as "local civic hero." I certainly don't blame LM for wanting to find a better deal for their team, but pointing to sunk costs that are probably inflated with creative accounting isn't supposed to be part of the equation for making FUTURE business decisions. But if they think they can do better in Cobb (and it's certainly more money than they'd ever get from ATL), then that's their prerogative. It's just painful to see the city lose yet another major league franchise as a result of incompetence, bad contracts, poor relationship management and the failure of govt to ever deliver anything close on future promises.

Back