• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Engagement Rings

This. The value of the ring is not the "value" but the meaning behind it - the sentimental value. If you get richer later, buy another ring - don't replace the one thing that embodies all the feelings your spouse had for you when he saved up all his beer money and bought you the best ring he could afford at the time. Do you replace your spouse because you lose weight, get in shape, age more gracefully than they did? (That might be a bad example, since some people probably do)

No you keep the old spouse but get a fancy, new piece on the side.

I too am anti new ring. Get a new right hand ring or a necklace or earrings or a tiarra or something else, but you don't mess with the one token that symbolizes our beginning. My wife luckily agrees with me on this - including the part about getting way more expensive other jewelry.

I too am anti new ring. Get a new right hand ring or a necklace or earrings or a tiarra or something else, but you don't mess with the one token that symbolizes our beginning. My wife luckily agrees with me on this - including the part about getting way more expensive other jewelry.

I tend to agree, but I would make a caveat for those folks who know they are proposing with a "placeholder" ring (for lack of a better word). I think there are definitely couples who get engaged in college or grad school or in some other financial situation where they want to get married, but aren't financially able (or don't want to) spend such a large amount on an engagement ring. And if both husband and wife are on board with the upgrade, then why not do it?

That said, I am happy with my ring and wouldn't want to change it. And agree with just getting different rings or other jewelry in the future.

You should get it appraised and add it to your insurance policy or get a separate valuable personal property policy.

A very good suggestion. A separate inland marine policy for the ring would be inexpensive, and a claim against it wouldn't result in points against your homeowners policy as would happen with a homeowners rider.

Convince me to not buy a GIA certified loose diamond and have it put in a setting at the local jeweler.

The GIA cert should give you a level of comfort that you are in fact getting what you are being told you are getting. The GIA report number laser inscription on the rock will also serve to let you know when you drop it off for cleaning, remounting, etc, that you are getting the same one back. Do on-line price comparison and then see if a reputable local dealer/jeweler is able to offer comparable prices for the size/color/clarity/cut you are interested in.

I meant during the setting process. If a store didn't sell you a stone, they don't want to set it because they can't guarantee there isn't anything wrong with the stone or that something won't happen during the setting process. So they'd need to insure it, which costs $$ and they don't want to do. I'm not sure if any of this is actually true or just the line spewed to ensure you buy the stone and the setting from the same place. It's a pretty common policy now for better or worse.

Once you actually have the ring complete and at home, then yes, a personal rider works well or if the ring isn't particularly expensive you can just add it to your homeowners policy.

A reputable local jeweler shouldn't have any issues mounting a stone that was bought elsewhere, especially if you were buying the mounting there. They would first examine it under the scope and take note of the inclusions. If the stone had bad inclusions or was otherwise jacked-up such that they felt that it might get damaged during the mounting process, they would probably have you sign a waiver acknowledging that they would not be held responsible/liable for any damage. I'd stick with local reputable, b/c in the event something did get damaged you should have a better chance of prompt resolution from someone w/ decision-making authority instead of having to work your way thru the corporate hierarchy and bullcrap.

This could go under the “unpopular belief” thread, but your wife will be judged about a million times in her life, usually without ever knowing it by the rock you you throw on her hand. Been 22 years since I was in the market, but I think the OP price and choice sound great! Best wishes

For the record I think rings are bullshit, but the truth is, people will make a mental note.

You know I should have thought of this earlier. My GF has a very nice ring from her previous marriage that she would love to sell. I can get some details but it has all the paperwork and is a very nice ring with a larger high quality diamond. She has been disappointed with what the consignment places have offered so she's held on to it. If anyone is interested in finding out more and want to deal with someone they can trust just let me know in a PM. (and yes I can be trusted.)

...because obviously you can trust a person who tells you that you can trust them.

(not doubting how trustworthy you are, just chuckling a little on principle)

No offense to the GF but I don't know very many people who would be cool with wearing a ring from a marriage that didn't work (though my brother an his wife had my mom's diamond reset and their marriage seems to be going strong at 6.5 years (but then my parents did last 8)

This could go under the “unpopular belief” thread, but your wife will be judged about a million times in her life, usually without ever knowing it by the rock you you throw on her hand. Been 22 years since I was in the market, but I think the OP price and choice sound great! Best wishes

For the record I think rings are bullshit, but the truth is, people will make a mental note.

This is where I was when I bought my wife's ring. I don't really care about that stuff, and I know my wife doesn't, but I know her friends and especially her family would judge her if she didn't have a respectable diamond.

Meh. She loves her ring. Other people compliment her on it all the time. I could ignore the societal benefits that we don't particularly care for or about and say "fuck them," but my wife doesn't live in a vacuum. She wouldn't care if her diamond wasn't as nice, but she would care if her idiot family judged her because of it. I can't control her idiot family. I could control the ring. So I avoided any issue and my wife feels great. That's a win in my book.

My mom has a second ring, but I think it was more of a "we made it" purchase. They were both government employees right our of school and lived paycheck to paycheck using envelopes to budget for them.

It was more of a we worked hard and here we are purchase. She took her engagement ring and a pair of diamond earrings she got as a "push present" and had them set in a different ring with a diamond for each of her sons.

I am in the camp that could give less of a crap about a ring, and the size of the rock, but for the “Fuck ‘em” camp that REALLY REALLY does not care, and they know their wife does not either, you can buy high end fakes for about 80% less. So unless you go to pawn it, only you and your sweetie who do not give a fuck will know and now have an extra few thousand for the new home or honeymoon.

No offense to the GF but I don't know very many people who would be cool with wearing a ring from a marriage that didn't work (though my brother an his wife had my mom's diamond reset and their marriage seems to be going strong at 6.5 years (but then my parents did last 8)

It's a ring with a diamond on......at 50% of it's value.......it's not magic.....just a deal if someone is interested in keeping a secret.

This is where I was when I bought my wife's ring. I don't really care about that stuff, and I know my wife doesn't, but I know her friends and especially her family would judge her if she didn't have a respectable diamond.

you could have just said women are judgmental bitches

SO glad I found this thread! I'm currently shopping for my GF. Size is #1 for her (insert joke here; she works in sales and deals with insanely rich people, so they're going to ask questions), but we both feel very strongly that we shouldn't take on any debt for this, especially since we're paying for the wedding on our own. Trying to stay around 3K.

A good friend of mine said that whatever I get has to be at least a carat. I know you should buy what you're comfortable with, etc....but is that really a thing?

If you're concerned with size then yeah, it's got to be a carat.

SO glad I found this thread! I'm currently shopping for my GF. Size is #1 for her (insert joke here; she works in sales and deals with insanely rich people, so they're going to ask questions), but we both feel very strongly that we shouldn't take on any debt for this, especially since we're paying for the wedding on our own. Trying to stay around 3K.

A good friend of mine said that whatever I get has to be at least a carat. I know you should buy what you're comfortable with, etc....but is that really a thing?

From Windsor Diamonds: "Large diamonds are found relatively infrequently in nature. For example, less than one percent of all women will ever own a diamond weighing 1 carat or more."

Back