• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Engagement Rings

You said you both like Netflix. Just scroll through and nonchalantly say you'd like to watch Blood Diamond. Watch it together and see if she backs off her thoughts on a perfect ring. Use proceeds to buy something for yourself. Win-win.

If you give the ring on a gift giving occasion (Christmas, Valentines), it will be harder to get it back (and it's already hard) should things fall apart.

BUMP

I'm going to start looking for a ring soon. Should I just ask her to figure out her ring size or try to be more discreet? I've got a date/trip picked out in December when I plan to do it.

I would try and figure it out. I went online and printed out a ring sizer, used it on one of her rings and that worked just fine.

I would try and figure it out. I went online and printed out a ring sizer, used it on one of her rings and that worked just fine.

Thanks. They're easy to find online.

We've discussed the buying the ring, and we both want her to have input on it, what's the best way to get the shape/cut/etc she wants without asking her to pick it out herself

We've discussed the buying the ring, and we both want her to have input on it, what's the best way to get the shape/cut/etc she wants without asking her to pick it out herself

Take one of her friends/sister/etc who would know.

BUMP

I'm going to start looking for a ring soon. Should I just ask her to figure out her ring size or try to be more discreet? I've got a date/trip picked out in December when I plan to do it.

.... I'm guessing this is brasky, despite proper grammar.

Take one of her friends/sister/etc who would know.

bad advice. what friends/siblings chat with each other about ring size? plus, any girlfriend is going to then go "OMGGGGGGGGG GUESS WHAT YOUR BOYFRIEND ASKED ME!!!!!!!"

I think the majority of women are the same ring size then you can get it adjusted if it's not a perfect fit off the bat

If she has stated that she wants input, then just have her pick it out. Otherwise you'll be hearing about it for the next 50 years or until she buys a new one. She has opened the door to remove you from the decision (other than footing the bill, of course), take it and run.

I think the majority of women are the same ring size then you can get it adjusted if it's not a perfect fit off the bat

Yeah, in this line of thinking you'd want to err on the side of too large though. iirc it's much easier to go down in size than up.

If she has stated that she wants input, then just have her pick it out. Otherwise you'll be hearing about it for the next 50 years or until she buys a new one. She has opened the door to remove you from the decision (other than footing the bill, of course), take it and run.

I wouldn't have her pick it out directly, but I would maybe ask her to "favorite" some on a site or something to get an idea of her preferred style. BrilliantEarth has something that allows them to do this I think.

I wouldn't have her pick it out directly, but I would maybe ask her to "favorite" some on a site or something to get an idea of her preferred style. BrilliantEarth has something that allows them to do this I think.

pretty sure blue nile does, too.
there are ways you can get enough input without her straight-up picking it out.

Just ask what kind of cut she likes and for her to send you any rings she sees online that she likes (trust me she's looking at them somewhere). You can then use that as a starting point. If you've talked about rings and getting engaged then she definitely knows what kind of cut and style she likes, but it also doesn't ruin the surprise of you picking something out that she'll like.

Yeah I had my fiancée look at rings she liked online over the course of a long time and any thing that was of interest got mentally saved or went back and bookmarked by me. I then used those as a template and worked with one of her best friends who is in the jewelry business to design it over the course of a few weeks. It was easy to work with her because she is also my friend but if possible go the custom design route, a lot of small local jewelers can help in that aspect So much stuff is cookie cutter boring crap, like sweet you have a mediocre diamond surrounded by a halo of shitty diamonds. So just get a sense of style and go from there.

Use her best girlfriend to do the work for you.

Back