• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Engagement Rings

Wife picked out her ring and I bought it. Only surprise was the proposal.

It is her favorite ring, why not get her that one? She is picky though so who knows.

Almost bought wife's ring from a nascar driver who's engagement had broke off. Great deal on a monster ring. Then thought better of it and got a more normal ring, and one she kind of sort of picked, from the best jeweler in CLT. CLT! Rubbins!

Fiancée had a general idea of the ring she wanted. I got her something slightly different but hit the key notes. She loves it but I got the size slightly wrong. No biggie since insurance fixes it for free up or down two sizes.

Welp, I have a diamond. Any recs in the 336 or 704 for setting the stone? I'd rather buy the setting in person rather than online so they can set it as well as service it moving forward, really don't want to send it off every time it needs cleaning.

I took my diamond to Windsor Jewelers in Winston and had them set it. I've been happy with them, and they offer free checkups and cleanings.

Welp, I have a diamond. Any recs in the 336 or 704 for setting the stone? I'd rather buy the setting in person rather than online so they can set it as well as service it moving forward, really don't want to send it off every time it needs cleaning.

Just an FYI- any nicer jewelry store can clean rings/watches/etc for a nominal fee.

Diamonds direct in Charlotte has a pretty extensive selection of settings from what I remember, as well as lifetime servicing resizing etc.

Oh snap. I made a purchase this past weekend as well. Took the advice of many of you and had her be apart of the entire process. Also racked enough "rewards credit" to get my own band.

Diamonds direct in Charlotte has a pretty extensive selection of settings from what I remember, as well as lifetime servicing resizing etc.

Thanks, I'll check them out. My roommate from college had a bad experience with them but maybe it was a one off thing.

Maybe so. I did fine there and I think my brother was happy with his experience at the Raleigh location. Either way they have a pretty large selection.

but every kiss begins with Kay, so who knows.

What the heck is a Baileys box? If we’re talking Irish liqueur, I’m in.

If you're in the Charlotte area, I can't recommend Skatell's Jewelers enough. Very fair, helpful, and knowledgeable. Got a stone set there and it was as pleasant of an experience as you could have considering you're dropping an absurd amount of money on a commodity of imaginary utility and value.

Funny_Pictures_my-favorite-spoof-from-family-guy_8667.gif

20161106_121504.png

Jewellery%2C%2Bremote%2Bcontrol%2Bdevice%2Bto%2Bopen%2Ba%2Bgirl%27s%2Blegs.jpg

Last edited:
I think 10,000 is a lot. Dual professional household. 33 years old. I got engaged at 22, had a much better job than I do now, and spent $4,800 IIRC. I bought the diamond and Ring separately. I bought the diamond at a wholesaler, and the ring from a jeweler, and had jeweler assemble. I believe this is by far the cheapest way to do it, unless you want to take your chances online. I had my wife go try on some rings with 2 of her best friends, and they filled me in what she liked, so she had an idea the question was coming soon, but I didn't really have to discuss it with her to keep a little of the surprise factor. The size of the diamond wasn't that important, and my wife was more interested in a really nice ring, and wedding band. And once you get to a certain clarity, it is REALLY hard to tell the difference between avg quality and great quality to the naked eye.

If you're in the Charlotte area, I can't recommend Skatell's Jewelers enough. Very fair, helpful, and knowledgeable. Got a stone set there and it was as pleasant of an experience as you could have considering you're dropping an absurd amount of money on a commodity of imaginary utility and value.

Thanks for this, I'll check them out this week

Elizabeth Bruns at specialty shops in CLT or gtfo. He will get you the best rock for your price hands down .

Back