• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Engagement Rings

I know little to nothing about rings (though I'm probably a few months away from starting this process myself), but my impression is that $6,000-8,000 is pretty standard regardless of what your salary is. I have several friends who have gotten very nice ones in that range.

Would love to hear more ladies weigh in on this, though, as well as men who have gone through the process.

I went with a diamond broker my dad has done a lot of business with. Just by way of example, I was out the door for about $7300 with a D color, VS1, 1.1 carat princess cut (solitaire) with a platinum band and simple platinum wedding band. My wife is 5'2" and petite and the ring looks great on her. Cut is as important as size in determining how it will look on her.

I know little to nothing about rings (though I'm probably a few months away from starting this process myself), but my impression is that $6,000-8,000 is pretty standard regardless of what your salary is. I have several friends who have gotten very nice ones in that range.

Would love to hear more ladies weigh in on this, though, as well as men who have gone through the process.

I got a very nice one for several thousand less than that :noidea:

I also learned the most about diamonds/rings in about 1 day's worth of shopping that I have in my 26 years on this earth.

If you have the money, I don't understand why you can't spend it on that if that's what you choose. Awakeguy spent a lot of money on my ring. If it meant the difference between a nice house or savings or honeymoon, etc, I would have thought that was ridiculous, but if you have the money and want to spend it, what's wrong with that?

I think it would be difficult to get rid of it all together. Even the least materialistic girl would (I think) get tired of having to explain not having a ring and whatever societal reactions may stem from that.

However, I think it should turn to a more equal tradition - either splitting the cost (if it's a mutual decision and not a surprise) or having a male gift as well (watch). This is tricky too because of the traditional 'guy asks girl' aspect.

I think it would be difficult to get rid of it all together. Even the least materialistic girl would (I think) get tired of having to explain not having a ring and whatever societal reactions may stem from that.

However, I think it should turn to a more equal tradition - either splitting the cost (if it's a mutual decision and not a surprise) or having a male gift as well (watch). This is tricky too because of the traditional 'guy asks girl' aspect.

I think the watch thing is kind of a cool idea.

Talk to her about what she wants (or have a trusted person talk to her if you really want it to be a surprise). I wanted a very traditional solitaire but a non-traditional cut. A friend wanted a non-diamond engagement ring.

My ring was $2500 20 years ago. I have no idea what that would equate to in 2011 $$. But I don't care because it was exactly what I wanted then and now. To me, that's the important thing.

Personally, I wanted a nice ring but not a ring that would look obnoxious. I'd rather spend that money on something else. It's definitely a balancing act and depends on the person.

Not to get off on a tangent, but I have a friend whose wife left him for another guy just two years into their marriage, and she has refused to give back the engagement ring, so he is refusing to sign the divorce papers until she does. I'm biased, but he seems to be in the right if you ask me.

Not to get off on a tangent, but I have a friend whose wife left him for another guy just two years into their marriage, and she has refused to give back the engagement ring, so he is refusing to sign the divorce papers until she does. I'm biased, but he seems to be in the right if you ask me.

I think, in most states, if the marriage happens, the engagement ring is treated as a pre-marital gift and the woman's separate property. Don't know that I necessarily agree with that, but I think it is the majority position. On the other hand, if the engagement is broken before the wedding, there are a bunch of states that treat the ring as a conditional gift that has to be returned if the marriage doesn't take place. I think there are some states that will look who broke off the engagement and why, but I think that is a minority position.

She sounds like a real piece of shit.

Hopefully, no kids are involved.

I think, in most states, if the marriage happens, the engagement ring is treated as a pre-marital gift and the woman's separate property. Don't know that I necessarily agree with that, but I think it is the majority position. On the other hand, if the engagement is broken before the wedding, there are a bunch of states that treat the ring as a conditional gift that has to be returned if the marriage doesn't take place. I think there are some states that will look who broke off the engagement and why, but I think that is a minority position.

Yes- if it's NC, it's hers.

She sounds like a real piece of shit.

Hopefully, no kids are involved.

Yes, she is, and no, there are no kids, thankfully. To make it worse, she moved in with a guy he knew (a scumbag, FWIW) immediately after leaving him.

Ring-Pop.gif

My parents buy most of their jewelry in Mexico since its apparently much cheaper down there. I'll ask them about it. Pretty sure they know of a few online stores too (so it's not like they have to go to Mexico multiple times a year just to buy jewelry).

DreaminDeacon said:
My parents buy most of their jewelry in Mexico since its apparently much cheaper down there. I'll ask them about it. Pretty sure they know of a few online stores too (so it's not like they have to go to Mexico multiple times a year just to buy jewelry).

Yes. Please fund mass murders.

Listen to InTheKnow. That was the advice I was going to type. Cut is the most important thing. THE MOST. If you go to a mall store the cuts are just terrible and their diamonds look like garbage because of this. If you get at GIA or AGS certified diamond, their color and clarity ratings will be pretty strict. A GIA or AGS H will not have any color unless your soon-to-be-fiancee is very color sensitive. Never go to Tiffany's. There is a huge mark-up and not all of their diamonds are good quality cuts.

As far as how much to spend, that is personal. Of course a bunch of single guys are going to tell you to spend $1000 on a crappy ring and take a great honeymoon. My husband spend a good amount, but it ended up being less than he planned because I wanted a smaller stone. I'm exceptionally proud to wear it and get compliments all the time. He loves when people tell him that he picked a gorgeous ring and they're jealous. I'm pretty sure he's happy he saved longer and spent a bit more.

Oh and our honeymoon was amazing too. No reason you can't save for a great ring and a great honeymoon.

Listen to InTheKnow. That was the advice I was going to type. Cut is the most important thing. THE MOST. If you go to a mall store the cuts are just terrible and their diamonds look like garbage because of this. If you get at GIA or AGS certified diamond, their color and clarity ratings will be pretty strict. A GIA or AGS H will not have any color unless your soon-to-be-fiancee is very color sensitive. Never go to Tiffany's. There is a huge mark-up and not all of their diamonds are good quality cuts.

As far as how much to spend, that is personal. Of course a bunch of single guys are going to tell you to spend $1000 on a crappy ring and take a great honeymoon. My husband spend a good amount, but it ended up being less than he planned because I wanted a smaller stone. I'm exceptionally proud to wear it and get compliments all the time. He loves when people tell him that he picked a gorgeous ring and they're jealous. I'm pretty sure he's happy he saved longer and spent a bit more.

Oh and our honeymoon was amazing too. No reason you can't save for a great ring and a great honeymoon.

So what price range do you think is reasonable?

I think the watch thing is kind of a cool idea.

I proposed on a Sunday and my fiance gave me a nice watch on the subsequent Monday! Ha. For sentimental reasons (b/c she wanted me to have something to remember the occasion by)

Schiffman's in W-S was excellent to work with and I feel like I got a really good price.

If you're in the triad, I'd check out one of their stores. The same family owns the Schwarzschild stores in Richmond as well.

Back