• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Engagement Rings

Spending a ton of money on a honeymoon is worse than spending a ton of money on an engagement ring.

How so? Several psychological studies have shown that experiences make people happier than things. A sweet honeymoon is a great experience that you can enjoy looking back on the rest of your life.

I got engaged about 3 months ago, definitely didn't spend 7k on the ring, but it was exactly what she wanted. I agree with those saying that talking it over with her is the best route to go. You don't wanna buy a ring that she won't like...no matter how big it is!

If you're in CLT I can recommend Elizabeth bruns at the specialty shops near southpark. Most of their jewelry is specialty pieces or very expensive, but the owner is a great guy and if you tell him what you want and your price range he will find you the very best ring or stone available. He did the engagement ring I got my wife and she loves it and gets compliments all the time and it didn't break the bank.

I proposed on a Sunday and my fiance gave me a nice watch on the subsequent Monday! Ha. For sentimental reasons (b/c she wanted me to have something to remember the occasion by)

Awesome!! I want to get HTTD a nice watch but maybe once I have a big girl job :)

How so? Several psychological studies have shown that experiences make people happier than things. A sweet honeymoon is a great experience that you can enjoy looking back on the rest of your life.

Agree with this.

Yes- if it's NC, it's hers.

Had dinner with a friend from law school and his fiancée on Thursday. I made the mistake of asking when she was moving to Charlotte and I guess that's a sore subject. But he said, it's no big deal I'm in NC so if this doesn't work I'll get the ring back.

An engagement ring is a conditional gift on the promise of marriage. The gift is incomplete until the marriage happens.

First I'll say I don't have a clue about diamonds and I'm very single so I won't know anything about them soon either, but I would not want to wear something that cost $10,000, or $5,000. I don't think I could be comfortable wearing anything that cost so much, and it would make me sick to think of someone spending so much on me.

Umm I guess it would be a good way to ensure I was home in the kitchen though because I really would not want to leave the house wearing anything so expensive.

First I'll say I don't have a clue about diamonds and I'm very single so I won't know anything about them soon either, but I would not want to wear something that cost $10,000, or $5,000. I don't think I could be comfortable wearing anything that cost so much, and it would make me sick to think of someone spending so much on me.

Umm I guess it would be a good way to ensure I was home in the kitchen though because I really would not want to leave the house wearing anything so expensive.

But of course you wouldn't even wear it in the kitchen. Or when sleeping. Or showering.

Don't go into debt for this. You need to talk to your girl and see what she is expecting. Part of the frustrating thing about diamonds is the BS they feed you about diamonds being forever and the hardest substance on earth. Not true, you can chip and scratch them. So are they really forever? I am a traditionalist in that I think the girl needs a ring, but if it were me, I'd go the colored stone route. Will and Kate have pretty much driven up the prices of sapphires for the time being, but I have several spinels that I love which are the same Mohs hardness rating as sapphire.

Also, what size is her finger? Like, my sister is a 2.75 and her .8 diamond looks like over a carat on her tiny hand. Finger size is more important than height.

Wow, that's TINY. I have never sized my pinky, but I would guess that it's bigger than a 2.75.

But of course you wouldn't even wear it in the kitchen. Or when sleeping. Or showering.

this is true.

I would need a big hand protector like David Duchovny in Zoolander:
6a00df351e9a508834014e5f5c7b99970c-320wi

Different strokes for different folks.

oh, absolutely.

my financial situation cannot fathom spending thousands of dollars on a piece of jewelry but plenty of people can. those people who can afford it and even those who can't but want it are very welcome to their big diamonds.

also it's probably single me saying "well that's okay because I don't want one anyway."

Had dinner with a friend from law school and his fiancée on Thursday. I made the mistake of asking when she was moving to Charlotte and I guess that's a sore subject. But he said, it's no big deal I'm in NC so if this doesn't work I'll get the ring back.

An engagement ring is a conditional gift on the promise of marriage. The gift is incomplete until the marriage happens.

Nerdy law question: Your buddy lives in NC. Let's say his fiancée lives in Virginia and they got engaged in New York. NC, VA, and NY may all have the same take on the engagement ring as a conditional gift, but just assume for the minute that VA holds that an engagement ring is an outright completed gift and NY looks to fault/who called off the wedding in determining who gets the ring - what law governs? Never took a conflicts/choice of law class - my guess is that the law of the domicile of the donor would govern, but now I'm curious.

Nerdy law question: Your buddy lives in NC. Let's say his fiancée lives in Virginia and they got engaged in New York. NC, VA, and NY may all have the same take on the engagement ring as a conditional gift, but just assume for the minute that VA holds that an engagement ring is an outright completed gift and NY looks to fault/who called off the wedding in determining who gets the ring - what law governs? Never took a conflicts/choice of law class - my guess is that the law of the domicile of the donor would govern, but now I'm curious.

Email George K. Walker?

I did take his conflict of laws class, but I can't remember the answer (nor do I care to look it up right now :cool:).

Yes I know. I'm a lawyer too! In this case, they are already married.

Wow, that's TINY. I have never sized my pinky, but I would guess that it's bigger than a 2.75.

Wow that is super tiny. My finger is a little under 5 and barely anyone can put my ring on bc it's so small. I can't even imagine 2.75.

Also, in the honeymoon v. Ring v. Whatever debate, people spend on what they want to and have different priorities. This is why I always think these threads end up w people getting pissed bc we all value different things. Totally admit I love jewelry, but I never spend over ten bucks on a bottle of wine when I buy it. I have friends who spend thousands on wine. Just an example, but we all have different things we will splurge on.

Email George K. Walker?

I did take his conflict of laws class, but I can't remember the answer (nor do I care to look it up right now :cool:).

Dear Mad Dog,

My friend's buddy wants to make sure he'll get the ring back if his chick breaks off the engagement. He's domiciled in NC, she's domiciled in VA, and they got engaged in NY. NC law governs, right?

kthxbai,
WL2006

Yes I know. I'm a lawyer too! In this case, they are already married.

Yeah I realized that after I posted it might seem like I was disagreeing. I realized in your post it was a completed gift.

I wondered the same thing because his fiancée is actually domiciled in Virginia currently. I'm guessing that law of the donor applies as well. The donor makes the gift and the "conditions" are conditions of the donor.

Of course the "promise of marriage" occurred in NY so that has a strong argument. I would guess in order of likelihood it would be NC, NY, and VA.

I have an heirloom diamond, so Matt spent the $ on my setting. We discussed it beforehand so he knew I would rather have my great-grandmother's diamond reset than have him buy me a new rock (I wore the diamond in a right hand ring already and thought it would be silly to wear two diamond rings that essentially looked the same).

I love my ring, and I wouldn't trade it for a bigger or different rock in a million years. I also wouldn't have wanted a colored stone engagement ring. It means the world to me that we used my great-grandmother's stone and unlike someone suggested above, I would never change the ring Matt proposed with (adding to it as time goes on) or even get a new ring like my MIL did. It's fine for other people, I just love my ring as it is.

Ha, yeah I have a friend who has a spot in my room where she puts her ring whenever she and her husband go to the bar across the street from my apartment, because she likes wearing it as much as possible but doesn't want to have it on if she gets sloppy drunk.

I can't imagine a sloppy enough drunk where my ring would be in jeopardy but my mother on the other hand loses everyyythinggg. That makes some sense but I don't get the women that take it off whenever they do virtually anything. What's the point if you can't be comfortable wearing it all of the time?

I can't imagine a sloppy enough drunk where my ring would be in jeopardy but my mother on the other hand loses everyyythinggg. That makes some sense but I don't get the women that take it off whenever they do virtually anything. What's the point if you can't be comfortable wearing it all of the time?

I practically never take my ring off. The only times I do are when I'm doing something particularly gross with my hands (like mixing meatloaf or something). That's part of what I like about it...I'm comfortable wearing it any- and everywhere.

Back