• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Engagement Rings

Don't get a stone with a visual flaw - she'll see it eventually and it will make her self conscious about the ring, even if nobody else finds it.

Yes. Women are awful people. Single women with engaged friends are the absolute worst. When my fiance met up with friends after the proposal, the one girl who isn't really that close with my fiance anymore immediately asked how big it was and if she's sure it's real.

I'm only 26 and in my 2L year, so I could only afford close to $5k and she loves it. She's also 5'2 with small hands, which really helps when you can't afford 1.25ct like the OP. I'd just say pay what you can afford and buy what she wants. If she's pissed you didn't spend more on her engagement ring, she shouldn't get one.

Small hands on a woman are great. They make...everything...look bigger.

9 years ago I bought a .85 carat, VS1, hearts and arrows engagement ring for my now wife from Diamond Brokers of Florida. I handled everything online and Brad and Jan were easy as pie to work with. I had the stone mounted locally in the band my wife wanted.

http://www.dbof.com/

As others have mentioned, don't worry about the size of the stone, its the sparkle and color that count. The hearts and arrows stones are a little more but well worth it.

Although after 9 years I haven't even looked at the thing closely in I don't know when.

As others have mentioned, don't worry about the size of the stone, its the sparkle and color that count. The hearts and arrows stones are a little more but well worth it.

That is what mine is. Believe it or not, the sparkle and color can give the illusion that the stone is bigger than what it actually measures.

Anything better than a G in color and VS1/VS2 is a good diamond IMO. You can't really tell the difference with your naked eye.

Also, .95 carats is about $1000 cheaper than 1 carat. Similarly, 1.45 is my cheaper than 1.5. I guess getting to that threshold increases value by a lot - but people would probably never know the difference between a .96 and a 1.00

the setting i like looks gaudy w/ a homongous rock. i think i've figured .75-.8 looks best (to me).

For whatever reason it really bothers me that most Americans feel obligated to fuel a disgusting industry because of a perceived tradition that was really just a great marketing ploy by De Beers.

Me too. Glad I was given my great grandmother's so I didn't have to buy one. Don't think I ever will buy one.

For whatever reason it really bothers me that most Americans feel obligated to fuel a disgusting industry because of a perceived tradition that was really just a great marketing ploy by De Beers.

Something that's been going on for close to 100 years is more than a "perceived" tradition at this point.

Most "traditions" are younger than this one.

Meh... it is just stupid in my opinion. There are literally people enslaved to get the diamonds and people completely ignore it because its been a "tradition" for two to three generations. I honestly don't think I could buy a general diamond ring and look at it everday wondering how it got there. I will admit I am hypocritical since I don't give a shit where my Nikes or other stuff comes from, but for some really diamonds especially piss me off because its so blatant and the apathy is so accepted.

Pay more for a non conflict diamond

Pay more for a non conflict diamond

I've heard and read that you have to do pretty thorough research to ensure a diamond is truly non-conflict. There is no logical reason an engagement ring has to be a diamond other than societal pressure derived from a shady cartel marketing strategy. I don't understand why it doesn't bother more people.

I've heard and read that you have to do pretty thorough research to ensure a diamond is truly non-conflict. There is no logical reason an engagement ring has to be a diamond other than societal pressure derived from a shady cartel marketing strategy. I don't understand why it doesn't bother more people.

In theory you just need to buy from the Canadian diamond companies. In theory. I agree with the rest of what you said. I think the lady should get a ring but it could be anything, even that delicious one Juice posted.

Last edited:
My fiance got mine without having any idea what I wanted, we never talked about it. It is not a big main diamond at all but it is surrounded by small diamonds which makes it look a little blingier. I thought I would have wanted a bigger main diamond but I'm so happy to have one (waited 5 long years for that thing!) and I think it's awesome he picked it out himself so I love it. He even mentioned that we could get a bigger one when we actually get married but I don't think I would want one at this point because I love it because this is the one he picked for me. I may be in the minority of ladies though considering I have no idea how many carats it is and don't really care to find out.

Also, not all ladies are bitches, I work with all women and every single one single or married have had nothing but super positive comments about my ring, same with my friends. If your girl is going to be pissy about how big her diamond is maybe you need a new girl. Likewise if your friends are going to talk shit on your engagement ring, maybe you need new friends.

Email George K. Walker?

I did take his conflict of laws class, but I can't remember the answer (nor do I care to look it up right now :cool:).

god he is old.

Back