• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Engagement Rings

Go to the diamond district in NYC knowing what you want, there are great deals there, and most of the times no tax depending on who you deal with.

I may be in the minority of ladies though considering I have no idea how many carats it is and don't really care to find out.

You should get it appraised and add it to your insurance policy or get a separate valuable personal property policy.

Go to the diamond district in NYC knowing what you want, there are great deals there, and most of the times no tax depending on who you deal with.

Please do not do this. There are like 2 people I would recommend in the diamond district but just going in blindly is asking to be ripped off.

Convince me to not buy a GIA certified loose diamond and have it put in a setting at the local jeweler.

Get the ring at Costco. Thank me later.

That's what Clarke Howard did. He showed the receipt on his 20/20 profile years ago. The receipt had a $10,000 ring and $2.99 socks. When's the last time those two were on a receipt together?

Lesson: You can be the biggest goober in the world, but if you have retired twice by 35....

clark_howard_wtrmrk-4.jpg

Meh... it is just stupid in my opinion. There are literally people enslaved to get the diamonds and people completely ignore it because its been a "tradition" for two to three generations. I honestly don't think I could buy a general diamond ring and look at it everday wondering how it got there. I will admit I am hypocritical since I don't give a shit where my Nikes or other stuff comes from, but for some really diamonds especially piss me off because its so blatant and the apathy is so accepted.

So did you end up standing by your convictions?

We know several couples where the wife has replaced her diamond engagement ring after 20+ years with a bigger one - or had it re-set in a much bigger setting with other diamonds and such. How do y'all feel about that? Personally I hate it. It would really upset me if my wife decided the engagement right I sacrificed for and picked out myself 25+ years ago wasn't good enough for her anymore. My wide hasn't mentioned wanting to do this - but she also hasn't talked as much crap about what they did as I have - which makes me nervous.

Wouldn't you just get a personal rider through your regular insurance company?

I meant during the setting process. If a store didn't sell you a stone, they don't want to set it because they can't guarantee there isn't anything wrong with the stone or that something won't happen during the setting process. So they'd need to insure it, which costs $$ and they don't want to do. I'm not sure if any of this is actually true or just the line spewed to ensure you buy the stone and the setting from the same place. It's a pretty common policy now for better or worse.

Once you actually have the ring complete and at home, then yes, a personal rider works well or if the ring isn't particularly expensive you can just add it to your homeowners policy.

We know several couples where the wife has replaced her diamond engagement ring after 20+ years with a bigger one - or had it re-set in a much bigger setting with other diamonds and such. How do y'all feel about that? Personally I hate it. It would really upset me if my wife decided the engagement right I sacrificed for and picked out myself 25+ years ago wasn't good enough for her anymore. My wide hasn't mentioned wanting to do this - but she also hasn't talked as much crap about what they did as I have - which makes me nervous.

My wife got a new setting after we were married like 5 years. It didn't bother me at all ... we got engaged when we were in grad school and I had literally zero income. I paid for the ring using the proceeds from a $100 futures bet that I dropped on the Nets to win the Eastern Conference like 30 minutes before they formally announced they traded for Jason Kidd. Once we got legit jobs I wouldn't have expected her to wear the same crappy clothes or drive the same garbage car we had in school, so I also wouldn't expect her to wear the same old ring from then either.

Recently a friend was talking about doing this and my reaction was much the same as yours. I love the ring I have. It's perfect and it's the one Matt proposed with, that's irreplaceable to me. If I ever need a bigger stone for some reason (though honestly I am more likely to spend the money on something else like a trip) then I would just get a right hand ring.

I scraped, saved, and made payments to buy my wife the diamond I proposed to her with 35 years ago. She still has it and it would bother me if she wanted to replace it. The sentiment means more than the carats.

She upgraded the setting many years ago and I was fine with that.

Recently a friend was talking about doing this and my reaction was much the same as yours. I love the ring I have. It's perfect and it's the one Matt proposed with, that's irreplaceable to me. If I ever need a bigger stone for some reason (though honestly I am more likely to spend the money on something else like a trip) then I would just get a right hand ring.

This. The value of the ring is not the "value" but the meaning behind it - the sentimental value. If you get richer later, buy another ring - don't replace the one thing that embodies all the feelings your spouse had for you when he saved up all his beer money and bought you the best ring he could afford at the time. Do you replace your spouse because you lose weight, get in shape, age more gracefully than they did? (That might be a bad example, since some people probably do)

This. The value of the ring is not the "value" but the meaning behind it - the sentimental value. If you get richer later, buy another ring - don't replace the one thing that embodies all the feelings your spouse had for you when he saved up all his beer money and bought you the best ring he could afford at the time. Do you replace your spouse because you lose weight, get in shape, age more gracefully than they did? (That might be a bad example, since some people probably do)

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. I am very anti-new ring.
...as much as I can have an opinion on the matter, given that I have no ring.

Back