• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Engagement Rings

Billy Mitchell

The King of Kong
Reaction score
What advice does the Pit have about engagement rings? I started the process yesterday and made the mistake of going to Tiffany's first. Now everything is being compared to there in terms of both quality and price.

Tiffany's had a 1.25 ct, H, VS1 diamond with a Tiffany's cut for $14,300, ring included.

Bluenile has a similar diamond (1.25, H, VS1, Ideal cut) for $10,957. A similar 6 prong setting adds another $1,000, bringing the total to around $11,950.

What tips/advice do you guys have? What size diamond is appropriate for a 5'2 normal sized girl?

in all honesty, get what you think will look great on her hand, and the real fact is, a diamond is a diamond and any guy who walks around going "man my girls rock is bigger than that chumps rock" probably has a small wang

save the $$$ for the honeymoon. spend a couple grand, but $10,000 is ridiculous and in that price about 50% of it is the Tiffanys name

I don't care about comparison and would love to spend less if that's the move. She has never hinted that she wants an expensive ring and would be happy with a lower cost one. I honestly don't know what people are spending on these things.

in all honesty, get what you think will look great on her hand, and the real fact is, a diamond is a diamond and any guy who walks around going "man my girls rock is bigger than that chumps rock" probably has a small wang

save the $$$ for the honeymoon. spend a couple grand, but $10,000 is ridiculous and in that price about 50% of it is the Tiffanys name

This.

if you have the money, spend it. you won't regret it. if you don't have the money to spend the amount you are talking, obviously there are other priorities, so refocus your spending there.

i think you will appreciate getting a better color/smaller size diamond in the end. a H will have a little color. the bigger the H, the more obvious the color. for anything over a carat, just scale back a little, and get better quality for the same price. it will end up "looking" just as big/impressive because of the color, particularly for a girl who is only 5'2".

Three month's salary was invented by a marketing exec. Spend what you need to.

This. Size isn't very important. Talk to her, and figure out what she likes and wants. I started out looking for much larger rings than she wanted because I didnt know. Don't spend more than you can afford.

Even if I make triple my current salary, I don't think I would ever spend more than 6k on an engagement ring.

I want to give a beautiful ring, but I just don't think it is wise to spend that much money. Use the money to go on an awesome honeymoon or buy a better house together.

I'll echo what others have said. I got engaged in Feb and we shopped locally but bought from the internet. I used diamondsonweb.com and so did my younger brother. We were both very happy. bluenile is also a good choice. DOW offers free shipping and returns for 30 days, so if the size is off or she doesn't like it, just ship it back. They also offer three months in payments with no interest so you don't have to pay all at once.

For a smaller female (with presumably smaller hands), the width of the band is important. My finacee is 5'5" and petite so I got a 2.2 mm width ring and slightly over a carat diamond (f, vs2, round brilliant). I wanted to spend my money more on the band (I wanted platinum v/s gold as she is a nurse and washes her hands and stuff a lot). It fits her frame nicely. I spent less than 10k. I booked us a nice honeymoon in Turks and Caicos that we are both super excited about!

It's a hard decision but I was told by some trusted females not to waste the money on the Tiffany's name. Good luck!

Last edited:
Spending a ton of money on a honeymoon is worse than spending a ton of money on an engagement ring.

Oh goodness, I got engaged April 17, and reading the OP makes me realize how poor I am (non profit work) :thumbsup:. I think it depends on what your fiance wants. My fiance wanted something simple, yet elegant. I got her a >1c diamond, cathedral setting, little pave diamonds halfway down each side. I ordered from Blue Nile and was hesitant about getting a ring online. Needless to say, I would recommend them to anyone. Great customer service, great product. We couldn't be happier with what we got. Plus, it sparkles, which in turn, makes my fiance light up.

As an aside - you don't have to go all out on the engagement ring. You can always add on to the ring as time/anniversaries go by, you know?

Back