• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Technology/Christmas gift thread

I am probably going to get my wife a new Mac. I am a PC/Android guy so I'm swimming in uncharted waters. I am looking at a refurbished MacBook Air 11.6 in. for $850. They also have a refurbed MacBook Air 13 in. for $929. Worth the extra money for the bigger screen?

Meh, for an Air I'd probs just go w/ the 11 inch since the whole point is portability.. but that's just me.

Good point. I'm thinking she will use it to watch Netflix etc. in addition to productivity, so the smaller one might be better (more like a tablet).

Any recommendations for laptops? My last couple have been Dells, and I've been satisfied with that. I don't want to go Mac at this point. I don't need super portability (since it mostly stays on our coffee table), but I do need to lug it to work or on a trip every now and then, so not super heavy either. I'm a pretty simple user in terms of power needed (mostly just internet/email, iTunes, and a movie or TV show here and there...biggest deal is memory since I have like 20k pictures to store).

Any recommendations for laptops? My last couple have been Dells, and I've been satisfied with that. I don't want to go Mac at this point. I don't need super portability (since it mostly stays on our coffee table), but I do need to lug it to work or on a trip every now and then, so not super heavy either. I'm a pretty simple user in terms of power needed (mostly just internet/email, iTunes, and a movie or TV show here and there...biggest deal is memory since I have like 20k pictures to store).

Have friend who was with Wang many years before their demise. He repairs and installs computers and small cos. networks on a part time basis. Earlier this year I was having to replace a HP laptop. I discussed what is the best bang for the buck and he advised me to go with ACER. I bought an ACER with a 15" screen as he said all the laptops with the 17" screens have a tendency to crack because of the larger screen surface and he has had to replace several with this problem. I shopped EBAY, Tiger Direct, and Amazon before settling on EBAY. Laptop was new with warranty. Have had no issues and works like a champ. Over the past 15 years, I have had Fujitsu, HP, Dell (three), Gateway. My wife has an ASUS which has had no issues also. Good luck!

Asus is probs my favorite PC/laptop brand. Though my Lenovo issued by Wake has definitely grown on me.

I am probably going to get my wife a new Mac. I am a PC/Android guy so I'm swimming in uncharted waters. I am looking at a refurbished MacBook Air 11.6 in. for $850. They also have a refurbed MacBook Air 13 in. for $929. Worth the extra money for the bigger screen?
Where are you finding these deals? Special deals on store.apple.com? I'm looking into iMac Desktops.

I didn't know Dell still made laptops.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Ben%20Curtis,%20the%20Dell%20Dude.jpg

Where are you finding these deals? Special deals on store.apple.com? I'm looking into iMac Desktops.

They hide them. Go to apple store online, scroll to very bottom, there is a link for refurbished.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

MS is a software company...

Which happened to make a great not quite tablet not quite laptop product. I find the whole tablet experience to be severely lacking, but I don't want a laptop either. This bridges that gap perfectly.

Back