• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My top 50 albums of 2013

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
Here goes nothing:

50. Savages - Silence Yourself
49. Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap
48. Mikal Cronin - MCII
47. Earl Sweatshirt - Doris
46. My Bloody Valentine - mbv
45. Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
44. British Sea Power - Machineries of Joy
43. A$AP Rocky - Long. Live. A$AP.
42. J. Cole - Born Sinner
41. Grouper - The Man Who Died in His Boat
40. Laura Mvula - Sing to the Moon
39. King Krule - 6 Feet Beneath the Moon
38. Foals - Holy Fire
37. David Bowie - The Next Day
36. Grumbling Fur - Glynnaestra
35. The Men - New Moon
34. Caitlin Rose - The Stand-In
33. Yo La Tengo - Fade
32. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
31. Diarrhea Planet - I'm Rich Beyond Your Wildest Dreams
30. Jason Isbell - Southeastern
29. Swearin' - Swearin'
28. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
27. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
26. Julia Holter - Loud City Song
25. Kanye West - Yeezus
24. Thundercat - Apocalypse
23. Courtney Barnett - The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas
22. Local Natives - Hummingbird
21. Frog Eyes - Carey's Cold Spring
20. Pusha T - My Name is My Name
19. Bill Callahan - Dream River
18. Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
17. HAIM - Days Are Gone
16. Jake Bugg - Shangri La
15. Phosphorescent - Muchacho
14. Danny Brown - Old
13. Califone - Stitches
12. Neko Case - The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You
11. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
10. Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
9. A$AP Ferg - Trap Lord
8. Darkside - Psychic
7. Laura Marling - Once I Was an Eagle
6. CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
5. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
4. Kurt Vile - Walkin' on a Pretty Daze
3. Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels
2. Tim Hecker - Virgins
1. Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

Good call on the Isbell album, and that Chvrches album is probably the most solid from beginning to end of anything I've heard all year. You gotta bump my boy Kanye up though. At least that's what pitchfork and the A.V. club tell me.

LOL 'Diarrhea Planet', what a band name.
Jake Bugg is so good.
I support J Cole/A$AP getting in and Drake being left out.
I don't know some of the albums in the Top 10, but I'm surprised Dream River didn't find a way in, even though in retrospect the album did have a few flops (Seagull etc.).
Good comeback year for Bowie/Clapton/others.

2013 was a good year for music IMO. I can't wait to give these albums a listen, or at a minimum listen to the popular tracks on Spotify. Love the intimate feel of Hollow Bedroom on a first listen. Thanks Townie!

wdpYb7e.jpg

Reissues don't count. That Parquet Courts record was released in the summer of 2012(actually made my top 10 last year). And I like that you included Courtney Barnett. I've had her record on high rotation recently.

Tim Hecker is going to give me nightmares tonight

Just put Jake Bugg-Shangri La in my queue. Haven't really listened to it, but I really liked his self-titled album.

Townie, you coming out with a top 50 songs list too?

I'm OK with the Pearl Jam album snub, but Sirens should be on all Top 50 songs of 2013 lists.

How have I not heard of CHVRCHES...not sure yet if Bones is up there with Manners but it's close.

The CHVRCHES album is my runaway winner for best album of the year. I can listen to that think start to finish and just love every second of it.

Off course I know about 1/100 of the music that Townie does, so I yield him. Will definitely give a few of these albums I haven't heard of a good listen.

Reissues don't count. That Parquet Courts record was released in the summer of 2012(actually made my top 10 last year). And I like that you included Courtney Barnett. I've had her record on high rotation recently.

haha sorrrrrrrry.

i just liked it better than the EP, which was also good. the LP showed up on several lists this year, but i'm sure you're right. either way, parquet courts are a band worth listening to, and certainly worth seeing live. they do enjoy playing with feedback A LOT both on their albums and especially live.

Just put Jake Bugg-Shangri La in my queue. Haven't really listened to it, but I really liked his self-titled album.

Townie, you coming out with a top 50 songs list too?

I'm OK with the Pearl Jam album snub, but Sirens should be on all Top 50 songs of 2013 lists.

I will probably do a top 100 songs. I have my top 10, but need to rework the ordering of the rest.

Lightning Bolt - Pearl Jam not in top 50???

Too many people have heard of them - automatic disqualification.

Meh.

I was more distraught about leaving out Lorde than Pearl Jam.

MS MR was another regrettable omission, as was Mount Moriah. Drake and Eminem had good tracks, but weren't good enough albums for me (though for this board's taste I perpetually underrate Eminem). Phoenix was my biggest disappointment of the year after Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix was so high up on my 2000s list. Bill Callahan made a very Bill Callahan-y record, but I didn't jump on the themes nearly as much this year as I did with Apocalypse. Seeing him live was a treat, but hearing America in that setting made me recognize how there really wasn't a song nearly as good on Dream River.

I think most improved band has to go to Vampire Weekend.

haha sorrrrrrrry.

i just liked it better than the EP, which was also good. the LP showed up on several lists this year, but i'm sure you're right. either way, parquet courts are a band worth listening to, and certainly worth seeing live. they do enjoy playing with feedback A LOT both on their albums and especially live.

the LP is sick, no real commercial appeal but perfect throwback punk. The only fleeting remnant of proof on this list that Townie doesn't hate guitars.

there are 7 really good guitar records on my list. not many, but guitar music isn't everything.

I wouldn't expect any less, taggers. Decent work so far.

2013 was a great year for music, freaka, I agree. An especially good year for rap. Kendrick's verse on Control, the continuing rise of the A$AP mob, Kanye's beats (wish Yeezus had more features), the incredible Run the Jewels, Danny Brown rapping faster and more nasally than anyone else.

I was fortunate enough to go to 3 festivals and 45 standalone concerts. Of all of them, I have to say that Local Natives probably stood above the rest. I enjoyed watching Titus Andronicus kick one of their own bandmembers off stage. Kurt Vile used more pedals than I even knew possible. King Kendrick was king (and seeing him in Philly with no white people was way better than seeing him in Austin with no black people). The Lumineers need to write more music, but they're so much fun live. CHVRCHES brought power pop up a level. AMOK proved that Thom Yorke needs to be making electronic music, not sad Radiohead music. Caitlin Rose and Kacey Musgraves and Mount Moriah and Neko Case and Taylor Fucking Swift keep showing me that girl country singers are better than boy country singers these days (Jason Isbell doesn't count).

I look forward to what 2014 brings, and I'd love to hear some of y'alls lists to pick up stuff I hadn't heard.

I will probably do a top 100 songs. I have my top 10, but need to rework the ordering of the rest.

since you have holter's album at 26, you have to have "Maxim's I" track in top 100, right? Love that song.

A top 50 songs or top 10 songs would be a better list. I'd check out some of those.

Back