• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My top 50 albums of 2013

Just bought the churches album yesterday and am a huge fan. Synth pop for life. If i liked them, who else on the list would make sense to get into?

Starfish.jpg

Dammit I actually own one of Townie's top 5 albums. I feel like such a fucking wierdo right now.

I'll throw my own top 20 out here, some overlap with Townie's list, but also some different stuff that people should check out.

20. Lorde - Pure Heroin
19. The Weeknd - Kiss Land
18. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
17. DJ Rashad - Double Cup
16. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
15. Mat Zo - Damage Control
14. Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus
13. The Haxan Cloak - Excavation
12. Darkside - Psychic
11. Danny Brown - Old
10. Moderat - II
9. Earl Sweatshirt - Doris
8. A$AP Ferg - Trap Lord
7. Pusha T - My Name is My Name
6. Forest Swords - Engravings
5. Tim Hecker - Virgins
4. James Blake - Overgrown
3. The Field - Cupid's Head
2. Gesaffelstein - Aleph
1. Kanye West - Yeezus

haven't listened to matt zo or Gesaffelstein

thanks! you've got dark tastes, friend

Dammit I actually own one of Townie's top 5 albums. I feel like such a fucking wierdo right now.

has to be Kurt Vile. Don't see you owning Daft Punk and I am guessing you haven't heard of the other 3.

haven't listened to matt zo or Gesaffelstein

thanks! you've got dark tastes, friend

Hah, yeah at this stage I'm just really liking the dark, jarring, hellish sounding albums, and there were a lot of them this year. Gesaffelstein co-produced Black Skinhead and Send It Up for Ye, so that should give you some idea of what he's doing.

1. Parkway Drive- Atlas
2. August Burns Red- Rescue and Restore
3. Defeater- Letters Home
4. Phoenix- Bankrupt!
5. Grouplove- Speading Rumours
6. Franz Ferdinand- right thoughts, right words, right action
7. A Day to Remember- Common Courtesy
8. For Today- Prevailer

My rough list of favorites would look something like this, alphabetically:

Chvches - The Bones of What You Believe
Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
Generationals - Heza
James Blake - Overgrown
Kurt Vile - Waking on a Pretty Daze
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Neko Case - The Worse Things Get...
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
Washed Out - Paracosm
Yo La Tengo - Fade
Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse

There were a few albums by bands I like that I enjoyed, but didn't like as much as previous albums and I feel weird putting them on a short list (Beach Fossils, Camera Obscura, Cults, Ducktails, Local Natives, Los Campesinos!, Phoenix).

I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I just didn't hear, or stuff I need to hear more in order to form a full opinion (Arcade Fire, Deerhunter), and in the future I'll look back on this list and be like, "OMG, I can't believe I didn't list _______ album."

My rough list of favorites would look something like this, alphabetically:

Chvches - The Bones of What You Believe
Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
Generationals - Heza
James Blake - Overgrown
Kurt Vile - Waking on a Pretty Daze
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Neko Case - The Worse Things Get...
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
Washed Out - Paracosm
Yo La Tengo - Fade
Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse

There were a few albums by bands I like that I enjoyed, but didn't like as much as previous albums and I feel weird putting them on a short list (Beach Fossils, Camera Obscura, Cults, Ducktails, Local Natives, Los Campesinos!, Phoenix).

I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I just didn't hear, or stuff I need to hear more in order to form a full opinion (Arcade Fire, Deerhunter), and in the future I'll look back on this list and be like, "OMG, I can't believe I didn't list _______ album."

ugh, forgot about vampire weekend's new album. in fact that was probably my favorite of this year.

1. Parkway Drive- Atlas
2. August Burns Red- Rescue and Restore
3. Defeater- Letters Home
4. Phoenix- Bankrupt!
5. Grouplove- Speading Rumours
6. Franz Ferdinand- right thoughts, right words, right action
7. A Day to Remember- Common Courtesy
8. For Today- Prevailer

Good list. I didn't feel like there was a lot of great metal or hardcore released this year, but these are a few of my favorites as well, especially the Parkway Drive and August Burns Red albums. One of my friends was super into the new Bring Me The Horizon album (Sempiternal) but I just wasn't feeling it. Oh well.

For whatever reason I hadn't listened to Defeater yet. Great call. I'm a big fan of La Dispute, and Defeater kinda reminded me of an angrier version of them. If you've never heard La Dispute, go smoke a bowl and listen to "The Last Lost Continent." Powerful stuff. Actually, the whole "Somewhere at the Bottom of the River…" album is tremendous.

Back