• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need a high quality laptop for under $2000

bump

looking for something to supplement my work computer, mostly for internet-based use (browser, spotify, google drive, etc.)

been using a chromebook mostly the last few years, but think i want something with a little more oomph and memory

i'm in pretty deep in the apple universe, i'm a little embarrassed to admit, so the 13" macbook air at $750 is my starting point, but I can be talked out of apple

what's good these days? are refurbs worthwhile?

bump

looking for something to supplement my work computer, mostly for internet-based use (browser, spotify, google drive, etc.)

been using a chromebook mostly the last few years, but think i want something with a little more oomph and memory

i'm in pretty deep in the apple universe, i'm a little embarrassed to admit, so the 13" macbook air at $750 is my starting point, but I can be talked out of apple

what's good these days? are refurbs worthwhile?

Buy whatever can take 64GB+ of memory, buy the upgrade and then don't worry for a long time.

Get the 15" Macbook Air. Or go fancy with the 16" Pro (previous release or the new hotness).

ARM chips are where it's at. And you absolutely do not need 64GB of memory.

(Edited to correct the newer models of the pro since they are 14" and 16". I got the 14" originally but I like the 16" form factor better so I replaced it after a year. Best laptop I've ever owned).

Last edited:
This is what I got:

15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Accessory Kit
I used that computer for 9 years. It still worked fine. The only problem was the weak battery life and I wanted to go ahead and get a new one before a grant ran out.

I've had the latest MacBook Pro for about 15 months.

Back