• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need a high quality laptop for under $2000

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Breaking down and buying a new laptop about two years after buying a cheap Lenovo recommended here. It's starting to wear down on me so instead of lowballing my next one, I'm going to go big.

Need something that is light and slim, but sturdy. 14-15 inches is preferred. Enough maxed out memory to operate a lot of programs at once.

Going to make my purchase tomorrow. Thanks for any suggestions.

That's a high range. Do you have any needs wrt to windows/macOS?

Macbook Pro 15 inch or Macbook Air.

I was gonna say w/ that budget it might be worth it (the pro) if you're looking for longevity, but he'd be best off doing a RAM upgrade himself, which would take some tech know how.

ThinkPad X1 Carbon touch. Unless you want to venture into the apple world, that is hands down the best machine out there. More tough/durable than a Mac or anything else.

Ph looking to make a splash with this hire....I mean laptop

ThinkPad X1 Carbon touch. Unless you want to venture into the apple world, that is hands down the best machine out there. More tough/durable than a Mac or anything else.

A little biased. :p

But it is a solid machine. I used to be down on Lenovo but the t420 I got and how nice they play with linux has changed my views a bit. I also like that a lot of their laptops have at least the 1600x900 res.

Ph looking to make a splash with this hire....I mean laptop

I'm looking to make a real upgrade. It's grant money, so I can afford to hit a home run.

I don't know if I'm going to take the leap to Mac though. That's just not the Ph way.

scooter, I think you recommended the brick I'm typing on now. Not sure I'll go with Lenovo again. Just a trust factor. It freezes too often for my liking and over the last few days, it's taken up anywhere from 40-60 minutes to get going even just out of sleep mode.

I'm looking to make a real upgrade. It's grant money, so I can afford to hit a home run.

I don't know if I'm going to take the leap to Mac though. That's just not the Ph way.

scooter, I think you recommended the brick I'm typing on now. Not sure I'll go with Lenovo again. Just a trust factor. It freezes too often for my liking and over the last few days, it's taken up anywhere from 40-60 minutes to get going even just out of sleep mode.

Then something is clearly wrong with it - and it is in the software - not the hardware - guaranteed. Which model did you buy?

The problem with Lenovo, as I see it (and I am not on the product side of the house) is that we offer too many models. We sell lots of cheap and middle-of-the-road models, which, though fine machines, are not on a par with the MacBooks and other top of the line machines. Of course, they are way cheaper, too. But, when people buy or use those lower-end machines, they associate that level of product with our name.

But, the fact of the matter is that our top of the line machines are the most innovative and best machines out there - just read the reviews of the X1 Carbon - or of the Yoga 2 Pro on the consumer side.

I am biased, of course, but I also know a lot about the technology that goes into these machines as compared to our competitors - and I wouldn't buy anyone else's machine.

Or something like that.. I think the Asus Zenbooks and Lenovo's top level stuff are the two best options for a high level pc laptop.

That's not normal for a Lenovo. I have one that I purchased in 2008. It's still going strong. I will stick with Lenovo for me next major laptop purchase once this one dies.

Why not the Ph way? Is it because the Mac is well-built, trustworthy, classy and will stand the test of time? ;)

Take the plunge, you won't regret it.

I was gonna say w/ that budget it might be worth it (the pro) if you're looking for longevity, but he'd be best off doing a RAM upgrade himself, which would take some tech know how.

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade the RAM yourself on the new MBPs--it's soldered onto the motherboard to save space. I still feel that 16gb is worth it even at Apple price

Why not the Ph way? Is it because the Mac is well-built, trustworthy, classy and will stand the test of time? ;)

Take the plunge, you won't regret it.

you really won't. Though Mac excel is kind of annoying to work with compared to the regular version. BUT OTHER THAN THAT.

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade the RAM yourself on the new MBPs--it's soldered onto the motherboard to save space. I still feel that 16gb is worth it even at Apple price

Oh wow, that is unfortunate.

Haha yeah that post made me laugh out loud.

Back