• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retained Grobe Staff

Kind of feel bad for Elrod. They just had a baby.

BUT I do agree that if Clawson feels like a clean house is what this program needs, thats what it should have.

Just checked out BG's coaching staff.

Really like the guy they just hired as interim HC. Special Teams Coordinator. Seems like a solid coach.
Offensive Coordinator seemed like a sharp guy. Liked what I read in his bio.
Defensive Coordinator definitely passes the eye test. Seems like a tough, hard nosed type that Wake hasn't had in a long time. (Tougher than Himey)
Really like their O-Line coach too….Seemed similar type to their Defensive Coordinator.

Would definitely love to have these guys, amongst a few others, however I feel like the ST Coordinator will get the job so we may not get all of them.

My only worry is that most of the coaches seemed to be very young. That could be a good thing though.

Just checked out BG's coaching staff.

Really like the guy they just hired as interim HC. Special Teams Coordinator. Seems like a solid coach.
Offensive Coordinator seemed like a sharp guy. Liked what I read in his bio.
Defensive Coordinator definitely passes the eye test. Seems like a tough, hard nosed type that Wake hasn't had in a long time. (Tougher than Himey)
Really like their O-Line coach too….Seemed similar type to their Defensive Coordinator.

Would definitely love to have these guys, amongst a few others, however I feel like the ST Coordinator will get the job so we may not get all of them.

My only worry is that most of the coaches seemed to be very young. That could be a good thing though.
Not too surprising that they are young. I can't recall seeing many coordinators who were considerably older than the head coach.

He mentioned he hopes to keep all three coordinators from BG. I like that he views ST as an equivalent.

I think it's really good for Wake to have coaches with an elite academic background..just think they're probably better able to sell the academic side with more credibility as well as relate to some of the associate struggles.

Exactly. About time somebody stopped using academics as a crutch.

Seriously. I was just watching an old Grobe interview from this season and he said "Wake forest has issues that other schools don't have such as academics." In Clawsons presser he said he was going to recruit to our advantages such as elite academics. What a boss

I'd love to back and watch Grobe's opening press conference and compare.

Pretty sure Grobe has talked about using Wake's academics as an advantage in the same way, just probably not with as much moxie.

Pretty sure Grobe has talked about using Wake's academics as an advantage in the same way, just probably not with as much moxie.

Dude, stop trying to stand up for Grobe, nobody gives a shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7i7klMwbBg

Go to the 5:55 mark and watch what he says. "They have some similar issues as we have, being an academic school and playing a hard schedule."

Clawson shits on Grobe in every way so far. Period

Nobody wants to hear excuses like having a hard schedule or being an elite academic school, and thats why a lot of people disliked Grobe.

Grobe definitely used the academics as an excuse the last few years. Clawson brought a totally different view on the academics for today at least.

Not interested in shitting on Grobe. He did a lot of great things for the program and certainly a lot more good than bad. It was time for a fresh start and I'm thrilled with the guy we got. Don't know why it's so difficult.

Not interested in shitting on Grobe. He did a lot of great things for the program and certainly a lot more good than bad. It was time for a fresh start and I'm thrilled with the guy we got. Don't know why it's so difficult.

Grobe had 3 years with a winning ACC record and 10 years with a below .500 conference record. He only had 6/13 seasons with a winning record overall. No way he had more good than bad at Wake Forest. He's a good person, but isn't so good as a football coach when it comes to winning and motivation.

With that said, I'm done talking about what a shitty coach Grobe was the past 6 years and I'm ecstatic to have Clawson.

Grobe had 3 years with a winning ACC record and 10 years with a below .500 conference record. He only had 6/13 seasons with a winning record overall. No way he had more good than bad at Wake Forest. He's a good person, but isn't so good as a football coach when it comes to winning and motivation.

Objectively correct but by WF standards, there was certainly more good than bad. There's probably a need to start talking about our football program in terms of before Grobe (BG) and after Grobe (AG).

Edit to add that your outrage stems from expectations created by Grobe. As I recall, 4-8 was average or better before Grobe stepped on campus.

Last edited:
Back